2 hours ago, Ian Tindale said:

When will I be able to crop to selection in the normal way?

Expect never. Hope for earlier than that.

I gave up using Designer - a "professional" vector drawing program without advanced or semi-advanced vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion.

Further... give up and please hire a professional, educated UX (user experience designer), Serif. Professional software companies used them for decades now. You must too.

This is sad, really. Earlier this year I went ahead and purchased all the Affinity products thinking that, come September, I could cancel my Adobe CC subscription and move to Affinity.

All I can say is, thank god I didn't cancel my Adobe CC.

With a simple feature like this missing, I think that Affinity Photo is way behind in even being considered as a Photoshop alternative. Probably on the level of Paint or Paint.NET or something. Sad but kinda true.

Anyway, hopefully they'll pick up and move with feature parity.

didn't read all this, but just had to do this and with some of what i read, was able to do it.

i cropped a 'background' layer to the size i wanted on the original. i copied that and did new from clipboard to make the new doc the right size.

i then went back to the original and multi-selected all the pieces i wanted to have on the new doc at the right doc size and did edit/copy.

went to new doc and did paste.

voila.

16 minutes ago, bitkahuna said:

didn't read all this, but just had to do this and with some of what i read, was able to do it.

i cropped a 'background' layer to the size i wanted on the original. i copied that and did new from clipboard to make the new doc the right size.

i then went back to the original and multi-selected all the pieces i wanted to have on the new doc at the right doc size and did edit/copy.

went to new doc and did paste.

voila.

Congrats. It took you 7+ steps to do something that should only take 1-click.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, bokeh-ape said:

Congrats. It took you 7+ steps to do something that should only take 1-click.

first world problem, lol.

at least there's a way.