I just downloaded the trial version an hour ago. First thing I tried was "Crop to selection", and after reading several forums on Internet, I learn that it is not possible!!!

Wow, that does not start well for Affinity. Such a basic function, I can't understand why it has been left out. As many, I want to leave the money siphon company, but how would it be possible if the competition is that silly??!!

12 hours ago, JeffT said:

I just downloaded the trial version an hour ago. First thing I tried was "Crop to selection", and after reading several forums on Internet, I learn that it is not possible!!!

Wow, that does not start well for Affinity. Such a basic function, I can't understand why it has been left out. As many, I want to leave the money siphon company, but how would it be possible if the competition is that silly??!!

Would it be great if Affinity had crop to selection? Absolutely yes.

Is Affinity worthless without crop to selection? Absolutely no. Instead of drawing a selection box, just draw a crop box. It is a change to workflow, which does take some getting used to. But it does the exact same thing.

Affinity is not a 1:1 recreation of Photoshop. It is its own program and it has its own ways of doing things. Some of these are much better, some of these are worse and some of these are just different. If you go in expecting Affinity to be exactly like Photoshop, you'll be disappointed. It is a new program that does take time to learn, but if you put in the time, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

On 11/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, big smile said:

Is Affinity worthless without crop to selection? Absolutely no. Instead of drawing a selection box, just draw a crop box. It is a change to workflow, which does take some getting used to. But it does the exact same thing.

Affinity is not a 1:1 recreation of Photoshop. It is its own program and it has its own ways of doing things. Some of these are much better, some of these are worse and some of these are just different. If you go in expecting Affinity to be exactly like Photoshop, you'll be disappointed. It is a new program that does take time to learn, but if you put in the time, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

No, it is not the same thing: it is more difficult to be as precise in the cropping with the crop box of Affinity and it is more cumbersome.

Photoshop has been the leader in the photo retouching software market for so many years that any software company that jumps into the photo retouching market will have to reproduce, in some way, the basic functions of Photoshop or they will never succeed. People are too used now to the Photoshop functionalities that any lack in the basic functions in a new software would translate into failure to become the new number one. 

4 hours ago, JeffT said:

People are too used now to the Photoshop functionalities that any lack in the basic functions in a new software would translate into failure to become the new number one. 

Well, those people can continue to pay the Adobe tax for now, then. Others, like me, are very happy to have the best alternative so far and for a very fair (non-subscription!) price at that.

Yes, Affinitys products doesn't have decades of refining yet and there are even some basic things missing, among the thousands of basic features that already are implemented. Crying that the software "is that silly” just because this one feature is not as convenient as in Photoshop right now is sort of childish.

And this whole ”failure to become the new number one”, who says Affinity has to be the number one? They can thrive just fine being an awesome alternative that keeps getting better and better. Not Affinity, nor any other graphic software company, will dethrone Adobe in the near future. 

There is just no point in redefining or leaving out this workflow tool (crop to selection) when it works for so many in so many programs, when it doesn't add any value or innovation. Sigh.

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Hi, has this feature been implemented yet? It is a very useful workflow tool.

It would be good to be able to do this without fiddling with the crop selection tool.

If your document is high in resolution for example 10,000 of pixels. It's just very fiddly to zoom in to pixel level to make sure your crop borders align with a bleeding edge. Then you have to zoom out and do this 3 times over for all sides.

As someone posted, it doesn't need to be destructive. Better yet, give us both options and the user can decide.

Edited by Svenosky
typo