You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

2 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

This you may class as a workround but in A-Designer draw a shape with the pen tool rather than select, convert the object to an artboard and clip your image to the artboard. Edit in A-Photo, erase white paper then export as png to retain transparency outside of the artboard

Plenty of workarounds, but nothing as simple as just selecting an area and that being what the crop is. For me personally this is absolutely vital in Photo and I've wasted so much time faffing with workarounds. It's not quite enough to have me install the seven hundred and forty-five apps Adobe needle into every crevice of my system, but it's close. (Your Photo workaround doesn't achieve my desired end result.)

13 minutes ago, Armelline said:

I'd be very surprised if it was, so I'll not give up hope just yet!

I have now installed the demo and Crop to a selection doesn't seem to be there in any of the logical menu places. (Edit, Document, Layer, Select). Also no quick snap to selection in the dedicated Crop tool.

8 hours ago, Armelline said:

Baffling. I'm beginning to think they're trolling us. Oh well, saves me some money at least.

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.  5 years this thread has been going and they couldn't add a feature that most photo editor have, including many free ones...

I didn't want to read 14 pages of this thread, but the several pages I've read, I agree with. I bought 1.x and learned how to use it after using Adobe apps for 20+ years. When 2.0 came out, I bought it immediately because the features were worth it. (Realistically though, nothing is innovative here, we're all looking for Adobe features at a reasonable price.)

And still I'm amazed that you can't crop to the selection, whether destructively or non-destructively. (Which should be a checkbox though, right?)

Clip canvas mostly works. BUT if you have a vector circle and happen to rotate it because it's a mask and you're rotating the layers underneath along with, then it will clip the canvas to the square bounding box of the rotated circle, not the actual selection or circle. Don't ask me how I know. Does that make sense to anyone?

I hate Adobe so much that I would rather spend an hour using Affinity apps for something Adobe could do in a minute, and for only $20/mo. That's admittedly a me problem, but COME ON Affinity/Serif. I've had to revert to Adobe or other apps for a lot of things. If this keeps up, I'll end up hating you for that, and then I'll be miserable either way.

24 minutes ago, sushi3 said:

we're all looking for Adobe features at a reasonable price.)

No, we’re not all doing that. Some of us are looking for a photo editor, (in APh) that does an excellent job, at a good price. Not just a cheap clone of Adobe PS.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I agree with @PaulEC.

Why the hell do all photo, layout and DTP programs like Adobe's have to have the same functions?

And believe me, Adobe looks very closely at how the functions in competitor programs are programmed.
If they find just one thing in common with their code, then they will be hit with patent suits.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

3 hours ago, sushi3 said:

I hate Adobe so much that I would rather spend an hour using Affinity apps for something Adobe could do in a minute, and for only $20/mo. That's admittedly a me problem, but COME ON Affinity/Serif. I've had to revert to Adobe or other apps for a lot of things. If this keeps up, I'll end up hating you for that, and then I'll be miserable either way.

Hey give this a try and see just how far you get;

I would really like to drive a Bently, but can only afford my GMC pickup. Do you think it would be proper to demand GMC produce a product with all the luxuries, precision of a Bently, but at the price point of their GMC? The flip side of that coin, try demanding Adobe drop their prices to match Serif's. Then you can have your Adobe, not be mad at them, or Serif, AND you won't have to tax your brain to learn something new and different.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Some of the comments on this forum truly baffle me. The constant and often insulting resistence to perfectly reasonable feature requests is just... weird. Nobody is demanding Serif match all of Photoshop's features or prices. We just want a very, very easily implemented feature prevelant in pretty much *every other* photo editing software. It truly baffles me how there's *any* resistance to adding this feature.

And let's not pretend that Serif don't position Affinity Suite as a direct alternative to Adobe. It's clear that's who they're directly taking aim at with their repeated "No subscription" proclamations.

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I would really like to drive a Bently, but can only afford my GMC pickup. Do you think it would be proper to demand GMC produce a product with all the luxuries, precision of a Bently, but at the price point of their GMC? The flip side of that coin, try demanding Adobe drop their prices to match Serif's. Then you can have your Adobe, not be mad at them, or Serif, AND you won't have to tax your brain to learn something new and different.

This comparison is utterly absurd. We're not demanding that GMC produce a product with all the luxuries and precision of a Bently. Though that's a pretty insulting towards Affinity comparison to make in the first place. We're asking, to keep with your anaology, something more akin to that they add the ability for the windows to roll all the way up or down without having to press the button the entire time. Something that nearly all modern cars offer, other than this one.

I won't even get into how condescending your last sentence is.

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I would really like to drive a Bently, but can only afford my GMC pickup. Do you think it would be proper to demand GMC produce a product with all the luxuries, precision of a Bently

Crop to selection is more like windshield wiper timers. Does your economical GMC pickup require you to press the windshield wiper button every single time you want to clear the rain drops? I doubt it. That is a standard feature across almost all cars made in the last 70 years.

The basic Microsoft Paint, .NET Paint, and dozens of other low priced apps have crop to selection, it should be standard on any app claiming to be a photo editor. I can only assume the developers have some kind of harebrained idea that they needed to go to war against that super common workflow. If the Affinity workflow was faster I would say yay Affinity for innovating. Instead it is slower and clunkier and makes me wonder if some rare form of dementia is starting to set in.

7 minutes ago, pixelstuff said:

Crop to selection is more like windshield wiper timers. Does your economical GMC pickup require you to press the windshield wiper button every single time you want to clear the rain drops? I doubt it. That is a standard feature across almost all cars made in the last 70 years.

The basic Microsoft Paint, .NET Paint, and dozens of other low priced apps have crop to selection, it should be standard on any app claiming to be a photo editor. I can only assume the developers have some kind of hairbrained idea that they needed to go to war against that super common workflow. If the alternative workflow was faster I would say yay Affinity for innovating. Instead it is slower and clunkier and makes me wonder if some rare form of dementia is starting to set in.

WOW .   i could not have said it better !!!!!!

trying to reinvent something so trivial and simple that everyone is asking for and refusing to give to your paying

customer is right next to insane ...

I have not bothered to upgrade to v2 because of this missing feature and this thread. The resistence to the feature by Affinity, the snark and condescension from some of the "pillars" of this community, both make me deeply wary of investing more money in this software. Such a small, simple thing to add. (And I'm sorry I simply won't believe it's hard to add - it just needs to read the topmost, leftmost, bottommost, and rightmost positions of the selection and then move the existing crop boundaries to those positions. If even that is too much work then the code must be absolute spaghetti. And there are many other ways it could be achieved more elegantly, I'm sure.)

They are losing money over this feature. Clearly not enough for them to care, though.

this is the email i received from AFFINITY on the 15th :

Hi Gurusonwheels,

This is not a feature which has been implemented into V2 yet, this has been requested previously and may be considered in a later version, feel free to voice your support over on the forum feature request thread below.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170634-feature-request-crop-to-selection/#comment-978584

Kind Regards,

Nathan @ Affinity Support

On Thu, 10 Nov at 6:41 AM , Gurusonwheels <#####@#######.com> wrote:

Does V2 now have crop to selection ? I wasted my money on your first suite and it was such a disappointment .  Without it causes to many extra clicks for something so simple .

How much more voicing could they want . this has been asked for over and over .  

4 more months will be 6 years its been asked for ....

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 13-41-16 is Crop to selection possible.png

Edited by gurusonwheels

LOL well I feel bad now for stirring up some $#!+.

8 hours ago, PaulEC said:

No, we’re not all doing that. Some of us are looking for a photo editor, (in APh) that does an excellent job, at a good price. Not just a cheap clone of Adobe PS.

I mean, aren't we all saying the same thing though? 🤷‍♂️ We're all talking about basic features (as others were quick to chime in) -- not a clone featuring 3D and animation capabilities.

Affinity Photo already functions extremely similarly to PS. That (and all the influencers' exposure) convinced me to take a serious look, then take the plunge. But that's beside the point. This crop thing just seems like such an easy win from a dev standpoint. The coordinates are all there with bounding boxes, the info panel, clip canvas, probably other places. 

(@Armelline you beat me to that comment as I was about to submit, LOL. I paid for the upgrade because of all the other stuff that I needed.)

7 hours ago, Ron P. said:

It's more like :

cars and trucks all have round wheels and they roll smooth and function very nicely being round .

but Affinity wants to make a new car but don't want to be like everyone else using round tires. so there going to try square or triangle ones,

since it will still do the job and will allow them to be different .

what was the quote :

Why reinvent the Wheel ?

this is exactly why programmers use WYSIWYG ide interfaces to program instead of learning machine language .

because the simply reuse components instead of recreating them .  like buttons , check boxes , etc , etc

• 1 year later...
Just now, bokeh-ape said:

Its been a 6 years since the thread started and 1 year since the last post.  I see Affinity is having a Black Friday sale again.    Have they added this simple feature, crop to selection?  

They have. I've been waiting for the sale and am testing V2 now. Crop to selection is in and can be used in the way I wanted. Still not sure if it's worth £40 to upgrade just for that, but will see how I get on with V2 today and tomorrow.

2 hours ago, bokeh-ape said:

Its been a 6 years since the thread started and 1 year since the last post.  I see Affinity is having a Black Friday sale again.    Have they added this simple feature, crop to selection?  

In effect they have. It isn't the simple menu based crop like Photoshop has, but in Affinity Photo when selecting the crop tool, it now immediately snaps to the edges of any selection. So you can simply hit apply if you don't want to adjust it further.