You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

1 minute ago, Armelline said:

keep this on topic I still really want crop to selection.

Agree with you completely.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Armelline said:

I'd definitely class it as inappropriate for the context and a bit rude, but it's one of the mildest of the "rude words" and, here at least, nobody would bat an eye if it's used on daytime TV. I respect your opinion, though, even if I don't agree with it, and to keep this on topic I still really want crop to selection.

Agree: I too desire crop to selection (and other functions)

And this again is my reason to intervene: even Affinity staff gets annoyed by rude words, and repeated requests to publish schedules despite multiple declarations they won’t give any. So posts like those actually reduces the chances of getting the desired feature.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

There are countless reasons to be disappointed of unbelievable slow progress regarding new features and bug fixing for Affinity apps. I personally raised quite a few, including 3 bugs unsolved since 6-9 month which lead to immediate crash of Photo, including complete loss of all unsaved edits, and one with bonus corrupted symbol library requiring reset to factory (empty state)

Still no reason to use or justify foul language. 

the word crap has many meanings .   not just one ..

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/crap

crap noun (BAD QUALITY)

[ U ] informal
something that is not worth anything, not useful, nonsense, or of bad quality:
I can't believe she's trying to pass off this crap as art!
I've only read one novel by him and it was a load of crap.

please think before you make uneducated comments .

Well, let me throw here in that what the masses do use on a daily base instead (for quick language translation turnarounds) does tells us for the word "crap" the following ...

trans1.jpg.de26856ce694ba49c7b633032ca3fe95.jpg

trans2.jpg.cdc3fbbcc6ae53a4d44e234952e7b847.jpg

So it's something overall meant in a negative form!

THOUGH, the words "crop" and "crap" are quite similar in and of themselves, especially if you get stuck on the keyboard! - Or when the Google search facility asks you, if you possibly meant "crap" instead of "crop" here! 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

well I think it's a crap crop poo...I mean too.

Crap is definitely not a terrible word either.  Even children say it.  To be fair I think being reprimanded for it's use between adults is a little bit odd to say the least.  In my opinion the lack of intuitiveness of the program was worthy of much stronger language.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, Armelline said:

…I still really want crop to selection.

I came here specifically to find out how to do this. What took a couple of seconds to do in Photoshop took me ages (at least it felt that way) to do in Affinity Photo and I didn’t really achieve what I wanted. So frustrating…

20 hours ago, jyroflux said:

I came here specifically to find out how to do this. What took a couple of seconds to do in Photoshop took me ages (at least it felt that way) to do in Affinity Photo and I didn’t really achieve what I wanted. So frustrating…

Yep. I've basically stopped recommending Affinity Photo to everyone. Early on I could overlook obvious clunky workflow problems as first generation growing pains. The Affinity software seemed promising, but with over six years of fairly regular updates the first gen excuse doesn't hold up anymore. The fact that they are still missing basic features present in all other Photo editors just tells me they are making a "my way or the highway" type of statement without regard to efficient workflows. Maybe they'll change their mind at some point, but until then I'm relegating them to a niche player like Luminar. Nice, interesting features, but too many quirks and shortcomings.

• 2 months later...

I can't even guys...

My workflow involves switching from designer to photo to rasterize and use the mesh and liquefy tools (which by the way would be extremely useful to have a vector proportion tool in designer.) And often I need to crop specific areas of a layer to merge with other specific layers. Flattening the layers simply is not what I need here. I can't believe there's no other option for this? Please serif, I've done what you've asked and purchased the full package. I expected to unlock features missing in designer... So far I still have to switch to other software to find in my opinion, basic functionality. Very disappointed :((

Edited by bit

• 2 weeks later...

I have read quite a few posts in this thread because I too wanted 'crop to selection' which does not need to be destructive, as well as the option to crop destructively or non-destructively. 

It seems that there are many users 

1: That think 'crop to selection' HAS to be destructive.

2: That a destructive crop is an evil think and has to be avoided at all costs.

Neither is true. I crop destructively many times, It doesn't make me a bad person, it just means I will NEVER EVER want the data outside of the crop frame in that image ever again so why should I keep it in a file for no other reason than to bloat the file size. 

Same with crop to selection, I needed that again tonight and had to unclip the canvas (to show everything), select the area I wanted to keep which was all the vector layers area & some of the pixel layer area (luckily it was rectangular), Invert selection, delete, then clip canvas. I actually would prefer Clip to Selection to be destructive especially if the selected area square/rectangular.

I think implementing this to "Clip Canvas" would be natural.
Idea:

• when the marquee selection is active, the canvas will be clip to the marquee's size.
  • when the marquee is not active and layer(s) are selected, the canvas will be clipped to the layer(s)' size.

• 2 months later...

As a new Affinity Photo user I am astonished that there's no crop to selection. That's ridiculous, it's such a basic and useful feature. For the most part I love this software but when simple things require ridiculous work arounds it's just infuriating. 

As to whether it's destructive: There are many times that I want a destructive process, my choice, my problem. One of the problems with AP is its reluctance to destroy. It's brilliant to be able to do things non-destructively when that's appropriate but it quite often isn't and in those cases AP either requires convoluted work flows or just results in bloated files. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, this is not available? o.O

Well +1 to requesting the feature.

I do not care about destructiveness or whatever. I just want to quickly select an area with Flood Select, Invert the selection, crop to it, and save; as I was able to in PaintShopPro - which I'm now forced to use again for this since it is a slower process in Affinity :(

[edit] Hang on, Clip Canvas does what I need if I delete the selection (to create transparent area) rather than trying to invert and crop to it.

Edited by plyoung

1 hour ago, plyoung said:

I do not care about destructiveness or whatever. I just want to quickly select an area with Flood Select, Invert the selection, crop to it, and save; as I was able to in PaintShopPro - which I'm now forced to use again for this since it is a slower process in Affinity :(

[edit] Hang on, Clip Canvas does what I need if I delete the selection (to create transparent area) rather than trying to invert and crop to it.

Not quite the same as crop to selection though, if you have a non-square selection.

• 1 month later...

Vote +1 for crop to selection, and preferably crop to mask as well.

I accept there are workarounds, but this feature is ideal for certain tasks, e.g. removing the unwanted spare space around something like a logo or icon when exporting the final "shaped" version with a mask applied.

I was using this feature in Micrografx Picture Publisher something like 20 years ago. Unless someone can demonstrate there is an alternative that is better in every way, maybe Serif should just  listen to their users on this one...

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, colin_e said:

Vote +1 for crop to selection, and preferably crop to mask as well.

I accept there are workarounds, but this feature is ideal for certain tasks, e.g. removing the unwanted spare space around something like a logo or icon when exporting the final "shaped" version with a mask applied.

I was using this feature in Micrografx Picture Publisher something like 20 years ago. Unless someone can demonstrate there is an alternative that is better in every way, maybe Serif should just  listen to their users on this one...

They have no interest in what the users want . I believe the software is designed for his own use and just makes money on the side .

7 hours ago, gurusonwheels said:

They have no interest in what the users want . I believe the software is designed for his own use and just makes money on the side .

I've used Affinity products now for a year . They are nice but like you said it seems they haven't been developed in years.

I really like Affinity Designer but after realising it's missing the very basic envelope distortions and ability to use vector patterns, I have been looking elsewhere. VectorStyler seems pretty legit.

Affinity should really open some sort of roadmap with ability to vote feature requests.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Armelline said:

Anyone able to confirm if this was added to V2? Literally the difference between buying the upgrade and not for me.

This you may class as a workround but in A-Designer draw a shape with the pen tool rather than select, convert the object to an artboard and clip your image to the artboard. Edit in A-Photo, erase white paper then export as png to retain transparency outside of the artboard