You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

To be fait it is not a matter of Photoshop, never has been. I don't use PS and I don't care.

Crop to selection is a rather basic feature that does not necessarily relate to super expensive products.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:11 PM, PaulEC said:

If you want to crop to the outer edges of several selections, as per Peter's video, I don't really see why you would bother to make several selections

I previously posted a video that shows one very common and simple use for "crop to selection". Now, of course one could try to manually select the thing with pixel precision, but that is a waste of time when the fuzzy selection is super quick.

• 1 month later...

Just another poor user here, slowly tearing their hair out as they try to move to Affinity Photo. Let it be clear, I hate Adobe and use Photoshop only because my employer gives it to me. However, I use Crop to Selection every day to quickly trim screenshots (and sometimes make more complex selections), and it is an obvious feature that must be added to Photo for efficient workflow - why else are so many people screaming out for it here? Perhaps what concerns me as much, is that if any Affinity staff read these forums, why have they ignored customers for so long, just like Adobe do?

1 hour ago, N A said:

Perhaps what concerns me as much, is that if any Affinity staff read these forums, why have they ignored customers for so long, just like Adobe do?

The moderators read the question forums but as a rule the developers do not because they are too busy working on the code to wade through the thousands of topics here in this form, most of which have nothing to do with feature requests.

However, there is a group of forums that they do read here, so that is where feature requests should be discussed. For best results, please keep in mind the guidelines for posting there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The moderators read the question forums but as a rule the developers do not because they are too busy working on the code to wade through the thousands of topics here in this form, most of which have nothing to do with feature requests.

However, there is a group of forums that they do read here, so that is where feature requests should be discussed. For best results, please keep in mind the guidelines for posting there.

They've ignored the feature request for this over there too. For years. Dozens of requests expressed in different and similar ways. That forum gets ignored just as much as this one does, sadly.

And I notice that posts on that forum also always receive the same "you can already do that" dismissal that is so common on these forums.

Just now, Armelline said:

They've ignored the feature request for this over there too.

It is not that they ignore any of the requests. As stated in the guidelines there:

Please understand we can’t possibly do everything which is requested, but we try to make the best calls we can in terms of prioritising our work.

There have not been merely dozens of requests for different features but hundreds of them -- the Feedback for the Affinity Suite of Products forum by itself has over 14 thousand posts (in 66 pages of topics!). Most just include a few replies, often because they already have been implemented, or because they are for something that only a few users apparently want to see given a high priority. There are relatively few that get more than a few replies & most of the ones that get more than a few dozen are for things like RTL language support or for new Affinity products like a DAM or dedicated Web page app that would require huge amounts of development work.

Anyway, the main point is that the people that are responsible for considering & implementing new or improved features do not follow the Questions forum. so there is not much to be gained by posting about that here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is not that they ignore any of the requests. As stated in the guidelines there:

There have not been merely dozens of requests for different features but hundreds of them -- the Feedback for the Affinity Suite of Products forum by itself has over 14 thousand posts (in 66 pages of topics!). Most just include a few replies, often because they already have been implemented, or because they are for something that only a few users apparently want to see given a high priority. There are relatively few that get more than a few replies & most of the ones that get more than a few dozen are for things like RTL language support or for new Affinity products like a DAM or dedicated Web page app that would require huge amounts of development work.

Anyway, the main point is that the people that are responsible for considering & implementing new or improved features do not follow the Questions forum. so there is not much to be gained by posting about that here.

By "ignored requests" I just mean "have seen dozens of requests for this feature of the past few years and not acknowleged them in any way or given any sign they're considering the feature." I don't expect the devs to reply to every thread, or even any threads. This isn't the kind of company with that sort of community outreach, not all are.

As has been stated several times in this thread, this thread is just discussing the issue. There are already multiple ones in the requests forums. We do understand that. I really don't see why some people are so reluctant to have this issue discussed here.

7 minutes ago, Armelline said:

By "ignored requests" I just mean "have seen dozens of requests for this feature of the past few years and not acknowleged them in any way or given any sign they're considering the feature." I don't expect the devs to reply to every thread, or even any threads. This isn't the kind of company with that sort of community outreach, not all are.

It seems to be Serif's policy not to respond to feature requests.  The assumption is that too many people try reading between the lines and then get irate when their expectations aren't met.  I tend to agree with Serif, but it's frustrating when perfectly reasonable requests / suggestions are met with silence.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

43 minutes ago, Armelline said:

By "ignored requests" I just mean "have seen dozens of requests for this feature of the past few years and not acknowleged them in any way or given any sign they're considering the feature."

They used to have a 'road map' of features that were being considered for or already in development, but they removed it because too many users were interpreting that as a promise or guarantee that a mentioned feature would be implemented in either the next release or one soon after that one. This was despite the fact that they made it as clear as they could that nobody should count on anything on the map being implemented soon if ever, or if it was that it might be implemented in a much different way than users imagined.

IIRC, it got to the point that some users were so angry about it they advocated suing Serif for false advertising or some such.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 weeks later...

holy cow, a feature request this old and with this much activity, and it's still not in the software.  Is this common for Affinity?

I think this could be solved by adding crop to selection in the document window.  It doesn't need to be destructive, it could use the crop tool under the hood.

4 minutes ago, 3d illusions said:

holy cow, a feature request this old and with this much activity, and it's still not in the software.  Is this common for Affinity?

This kind of activity here in the Questions forum is not very effective, primarily because there is a separate forum for feature requests, including guidelines for how best to contribute to it, an explanation of why some things are not implemented or have been delayed for years, & so on.

What it boils down to is the development team is small, and everything added has to work without causing problems in a total of 8 apps (3 each for Macs & Windows desktops & 2 more for iPadOS) across all the various supported OS versions. They are already very busy with that & do not have time to wade through the thousands of topics here in the Questions forum looking for the ones that are feature requests.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R Do they have a place for the community to vote on feature requests.  Then they could see the most popular at a glance without the need to read threads.

Also, is there a Python API for plugin developers?  Crop to selection would be super easy to create if so, it's just activate and align crop corners to selection corners and apply.

37 minutes ago, 3d illusions said:

Do they have a place for the community to vote on feature requests.

There is nothing like this in the public forum; in the meantime, the voting options (poll) in the forum have been removed. However, such a poll would be no more useful than a rough count of the number of users within a query and definitely not representative, as forum users are a limited audience with specific interests that do not coincide with the type and the number of all existing users of Affinity, neither the intensive nor the occasional.

47 minutes ago, 3d illusions said:

is there a Python API for plugin developers?

Same procedure: you still would need to add your vote to a new or an existing thread, for instance this in the forums section for Publisher feature requests (which in case of the "scripting" feature doesn't matter; once it exists it would probably become implemented for all apps).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, 3d illusions said:

@R C-R Do they have a place for the community to vote on feature requests.

The feature request forums (there are several) are here. As the Suggestions, Discussions & Ideas header mentions, it is best to search first & add your comments (not necessarily just votes) to an existing request if one is found; otherwise start a new topic. 

Affinity Photo 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, 3d illusions said:

I think this could be solved by adding crop to selection in the document window.  It doesn't need to be destructive, it could use the crop tool under the hood.

It's very common. But just keep asking, don't give up.

2 hours ago, madmats said:

It's very common. But just keep asking, don't give up.

But please do that in the feature request forums, not here.

Affinity Photo 

Genuinely confused why there's such resistance to this topic being discussed in this thread. There is a feature request already, it's not like there isn't one. This thread, however, has been the focal point of discussion *for years.* If this discussion is not appropriate for this forum, perhaps it should get locked?

6 minutes ago, Armelline said:

Genuinely confused why there's such resistance to this topic being discussed in this thread.

One reason is because for those of us that are set up to receive notifications whenever there is a new post to any topic in the entire Affinity on Desktop Questions forum, it is a little annoying to keep getting notifications every time someone adds a new post to topics like this one that is not about the question that started it (in this case the already answered 'is crop to selection possible').

But more to the point, discussing things like this here, instead of in the requests forums, is almost useless if the goal is to add one's support for the requested feature. IOW, add your support where the developers will see it, not here where they rarely if ever will.

Affinity Photo 

It's equally useless discussing it in the features requests forums, so it makes sense to keep the discussion where it is most visible and active.

If the notifications are bothering you so much, though, perhaps you should petition a mod to lock this thread and add a post pointing people to the feature request.

9 minutes ago, Armelline said:

It's equally useless discussing it in the features requests forums, so it makes sense to keep the discussion where it is most visible and active.

If the notifications are bothering you so much, though, perhaps you should petition a mod to lock this thread and add a post pointing people to the feature request.

This partly comes down to culture, for lack of a better word at the moment. There are many who have been here on these forums for years. They discern that threads like this one can be 1) unproductive with respect to expected results, and 2) frustrating especially for new members and new users of the software.

Although the mods here are not heavy-handed, requesting a thread lock isn't a bad idea. At the same time, it's important for newer members and newer users to know that this thread's lengthy existence is neither an indicator of how many user requests have been made for this feature nor a reflection of this feature's priority in the eyes of the developers.

1 minute ago, Armelline said:

It is not visible to the developers here because (as already been explained several times) they are not going to waste time sorting through the thousands posts this forum gets when they are (& should be!!!) working on the code.

As for it being useless to discuss it in the features forum, if you have not done so already, please go back & read the info at the top of the page here, particularly the things they ask users to keep in mind, especially about how they prioritize what features they work on.

Affinity Photo 

> 1) unproductive with respect to expected results

This seems to be true of posting anywhere on these forums.

> 2) frustrating especially for new members and new users of the software

If by this you mean "it's incredibly frustrating to see this basic feature being discussed for years with no implementation" then yes, absolutely.

> At the same time, it's important for newer members and newer users to know that this thread's lengthy existence is neither an indicator of how many user requests have been made for this feature nor a reflection of this feature's priority in the eyes of the developers.

This seems very true. It doesn't seem to matter at all how often this feature is requested, either in this thread or in the requests forum.

> It is not visible to the developers here because (as already been explained several times) they are not going to waste time sorting through the thousands posts this forum gets when they are (& should be!!!) working on the code.

Which is why there is a feature request for it too. Nobody expects the developers to be reading every thread on the forums (though it would be very disappointing if they don't have any kind of community manager who tracks discussions and provides them indications of the hot topics). I'm honestly not sure what the purpose of discussion forums are if not to discuss things. In decades on the internet I've never been on a forum as resistant to discussions as this one seems to be.

> As for it being useless to discuss it in the features forum, if you have not done so already, please go back & read the info at the top of the page here, particularly the things they ask users to keep in mind, especially about how they prioritize what features they work on.

That just confirms how it's equally useless to discuss it there. In fact, it confirms that there is no useful way to request features in this software, and engaging in the community is pretty much pointless.

1 minute ago, Armelline said:

f by this you mean "it's incredibly frustrating to see this basic feature being discussed for years with no implementation" then yes, absolutely.

The thing about that is there are very many different ideas of what are the most important 'basic features' & which ones should be given the highest priority. Like they said at the top of the requests forum page, they cannot possibly make all of them a priority.

But those forums still remain the best place to tell them which are the ones each of us think should get the highest priorities. That won't change no matter how many more posts are added here or in any of the other Questions topics where users are discussing the missing stuff.

Affinity Photo