You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

9 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

You're right! Your incredibly innovative idea will work on all images with a solid colour... 

So, one just has to keep the lens cap on when taking a photo and your technique will work flawlessly.

My Innovative idea? 

Feel free to share any techniques  you have to help the community on this topic, I am always ready to  learning something new.

I guess you might have missed the whole point in this thread's discussion. The OP asked for something which currently doesn't exist. Your workaround isn't a workaround for the  problem.

5 minutes ago, oO5Dynasty said:

My Innovative idea? 

Feel free to share any techniques  you have to help the community on this topic, I am always ready to  learning something new.

I guess you might have missed the whole point in this thread's discussion. The OP asked for something which currently doesn't exist in Affinity Photo. Your workaround isn't a workaround for the OP's problem unless he's trying to cut out "solid coloured pictures" or if he wants to fiddle with zooming in and out whilst using the crop tool.

The macro is - in contrast to your suggestions - something which seems to work. At least to some extend. Ok, maybe I have to apology - if one really wants to crop single coloured rectangles, then your suggestion is the best option, I give you that!

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

I guess you might have missed the whole point in this thread's discussion. The OP asked for something which currently doesn't exist. Your workaround isn't a workaround for the  problem.

I guess you might have missed the whole point in this thread's discussion. The OP asked for something which currently doesn't exist. Your workaround isn't a workaround for the OP's problem unless he's trying to cut out "solid coloured pictures" or if he wants to fiddle with zooming in and out whilst using the crop tool.

The macro is - in contrast to your suggestions - something which seems to work. At least to some extend. Ok, maybe I have to apology - if one really wants to crop single coloured rectangles, then your suggestion is the best option, I give you that!

Please feel free at anytime to share your technique on how this can be achieved. A video would be amazing so we can see the example thank you.

*sigh* Seriously?

There's currently no technique available in AP. Hence the whole discussion!

So, I'm not posting any solution as - read above - there's currently no technique available in AP (repetitive phrase for better understanding, maybe?).

But repeatedly posting the same "workarounds", which won't work for the OP at all, isn't helping either.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

8 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

*sigh* Seriously?

There's currently no technique available in AP. Hence the whole discussion!

So, I'm not posting any solution as - read above - there's currently no technique available in AP (repetitive phrase for better understanding, maybe?).

But repeatedly posting the same "workarounds", which won't work for the OP at all, isn't helping either.

All we can do is try to help our fellow community members!  I hope the desired workflow, becomes available for these individuals. Thank You!

Serif, are you listening? Please make crop to selection possible. It's easy to program. People will like it. Non-destructive workflows will still be available for those who need them.

Commenters on this thread are just the tip of the iceberg - most annoyed people won't even bother telling you about it.

@tropilio

Attached is a macro for trimming the white area around a graph/chart type image as shown in your example. It is designed to work on any image with a white background. (not transparent)

It is currently set to leave a 10px white border around the graph but I have left that adjustable so when you run the macro you can increase or decrease the border "dynamically". Don't try to increase/decrease the border beyond the original border size of the image as it is not designed to do that. (PS It's easier to input a value than to use the slider)

If you always use a fixed set amount for the white border, say 30px, you can edit the macro and set 30px in the "grow/shrink selection" and switch off the ability to adjust that value. Then resave the macro with a new name.

As a side note the macro should work on most other types of images with a white background provided the subject matter does not have any whitish pixels around certain edges. So a black cat on a white background will work but a man wearing a white t-shirt on a white background may not.

Trim White Border to 10px.afmacros

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You import it via the Library Panel not the Macro Panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I really miss from GIMP (in any editor basically) is how powerful the selection tool is. One does not need a dedicated crop tool there because all of the functionalities of it are there. The whole crop tool is basically a fancy select tool and I'd like to be able to do stuff like constraining the selection to a ratio, or modifying it immediately on canvas without the need to pass through quick mask and move tool.

From there crop to selection is just one step away.

I too want this feature. It's such a simple workflow I am accustomed with:

1. You select something in the image;
  2. You go to Image > Crop selection.
    (Like that. a two-step process. It shouldn't be necessary to create another file in another tab, nor manually align cropping edges)
  3. You export, save, whatever suits your needs;
  4. You close the file.

Alternatively:

2. You switch to the crop tool, to notice your selection is already marked as the cropping area;
  3. You confirm the action (either enter or double click);
  4. You export, save, whatever suits your needs;
  5. You close the file.

Photoshop has it, Photopea has it, they say even GIMP has it… It's not any game changing advanced process that shifts paradigms and may restructure the whole UI. It's simply the option to crop the canvas to what has been selected.

3 hours ago, Ígor Jales said:

I too want this feature. It's such a simple workflow I am accustomed with:

2. You go to Image > Crop selection.
    (Like that. a two-step process. It shouldn't be necessary to create another file in another tab, nor manually align cropping edges)
  3. You export, save, whatever suits your needs;
  4. You close the file.

Photoshop has it, Photopea has it, they say even GIMP has it… It's not any game changing advanced process that shifts paradigms and may restructure the whole UI. It's simply the option to crop the canvas to what has been selected.

Exactly. It is the smallest of things that makes total sense and is now stored in muscle memory in thousands and thousands of creatives etc.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, sil said:

I have an affinity designer that when I open it and when I am working I only see the layers I can't change the colors I only see the layers do you now hot wo change that??

Wrong thread. Wrong punctuation. 

http://redfieldmedia.co.uk

Vector app usage: Illustrator -1994-95; Freehand -1995-2010; Illustrator -2010-2014; Sketch - 2014-current; Affinity Designer -2015-current

18 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Wrong thread. Wrong punctuation. 

Wrong thread.... yes. Wrong punctuation.... his native language is probably not English, so.... I hope you understand what I mean.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I've only started to use Affinity Photo, and hate it already. If I had seen this thread before buying this program, I wouldn't have.

Seriously, Affinity Designer is such a great program. Innovative, yet intuitive. By comparison, Affinity Photo is just terrible. Took me two hours to get a job done that should take five minutes. Second time around, I switched to paint.net. Bleah.

And what's that ******** about non-destructive workflow anyway? Are we five-year-olds that can't hit the "save as" button?!

"Icing" on the cake: When I use the cropping tool, mark something, then hit ctrl+x, it isn't UNDOable. So to sum it up, there's a lot of blah blah about omitting the most basic tools just so we can adapt our needs to Affinity's programming moods. And then, the tools that do exist are deliberately destructive for no apparent reason. This is a joke, yes?

• 2 months later...

This is perhaps the most hilarious and strange omission in Photo.

Tonight I made and manipulated a range of screenshots (actually edited Photoshopped variations of mock ups) in Adobe Photoshop for a PowerPoint presentation for quite a large crowd tomorrow Friday. My goal was to make the presentation efficiently and fast while focusing on the content of presentation itself. Not wasting effort and time on workarounds. I want to please the crowd.

I used, moved, added etc. selections for many of the edits and finalized the screenshot with crop to selection. Saved the screenshots for further use on webpages and powerpoint slides. With a preview of the saved file - of course. Bam! Bam! Bam! Fast with no nasty surprises and clumsy workarounds.

Then I tried to imagine the same workflow or scenario in Affinity Photo. The horror... and of course:

An emoji with a nose is a horror to behold - The Verge

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Ian Tindale said:

When will I be able to crop to selection in the normal way?

No one but the Serif Developers would know the answer to that, and Serif generally does not comment on possible future features, either to indicate whether they are being worked on or when they might be released.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1