You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

If affinity photo users can show us an example of what they are using crop to selection for, that would be great. I am not a staff member, but I would like to help if I can. Yes the one click option in photoshop is what is desired for crop to selection. If their is a way to achieve what you want with one extra step, maybe we can help. Thank you! Also I am creating tutorials on my YouTube channel, so if you have a tutorial you might need just let me know. Thank you your friend oO5 Dynasty!

16 hours ago, oO5Dynasty said:

Can you give an example please? A image or a video showcasing example.

Of course. For example, to remove extra white borders from data plots. I created a simple macro in Photoshop that does this: select by color (black) > expand selection by some px > crop.

I honestly don't know how to achieve that in AP.

Video:

Edited by tropilio
corrected quote

7 hours ago, tropilio said:

Of course. For example, to remove extra white borders from data plots. I created a simple macro in Photoshop that does this: select by color (black) > expand selection by some px > crop.

Video:

Awesome, and thank you for the example!

I went ahead and created an official Tutorial for crop to selection inside Affinity Photo!

New Affinity Photo Crop to Selection Tutorial!

If This Tutorial is helpful, then I've done my job correctly. If not then please let me know your issue and I will try to help further!

@oO5Dynasty That's not really helpful actually, because in your examples you have layers and/or single color files. Look at my video: I have just one, multicoloured, rasterized layer and I want to remove the extra white padding. In Photoshop it takes me a few clicks, and I can automatize the process with a macro. How do you do that in AP?

23 minutes ago, tropilio said:

@oO5Dynasty That's not really helpful actually, because in your examples you have layers and/or single color files. Look at my video: I have just one, multicoloured, rasterized layer and I want to remove the extra white padding. In Photoshop it takes me a few clicks, and I can automatize the process with a macro. How do you do that in AP?

You are looking for a SELECT COLOR RANGE feature inside Affinity Photo, if I understand you correctly. So you want to select all of the colored parts of an image, and then crop to selection? The reason I am asking is because the title of this thread is, 

is Crop to selection possible

By stinkykong, March 11, 2017 in Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows)

So we know crop to selection is possible via the post by  @toltec

I believe their is threads that help with ways to select color range from what I remember!

But I do have a quick question for you. How come you just don't make a group for all of your layers, and do a Ctrl + Left click to select all of the colored parts of your image. Then follow the rest of the steps in the video?

But I do have a quick question for you. How come you just don't make a group for all of your layers, and do a Ctrl + Left click to select all of the colored parts of your image.

Because, as I already said, I do not have multiple layers. I have just one single "background" layer, with no transparency. So if I select the "colored parts" of my image, then I get a selection of all the image. I can, of course, select color range with color = black in AP, as I do in Photoshop, but then how do I crop to the selection's bounding box?

17 minutes ago, tropilio said:

Because, as I already said, I do not have multiple layers. I have just one single "background" layer, with no transparency. So if I select the "colored parts" of my image, then I get a selection of all the image. I can, of course, select color range with color = black in AP, as I do in Photoshop, but then how do I crop to the selection's bounding box?

Try this method 

I hope this help, But it should because you can really do a refine selection of an image.

@oO5Dynasty we all appreciate the fact that you are trying to help, so thank you for spending the time.

However, I think there must be some misunderstanding... "Crop to selection" is not about background removal and is not about masking. The only thing we care is to find the bounding box of a selection.

Here's an example of a picture cropped with GIMP. So, first here's the original picture:

example.jpg.c55f6008b934611b5f130047508ac1a5.jpg

Now here's how we crop with GIMP. Notice the step from having a selection to cropping with a single click...

44 minutes ago, TheLazza said:

@oO5Dynasty we all appreciate the fact that you are trying to help, so thank you for spending the time.

However, I think there must be some misunderstanding... "Crop to selection" is not about background removal and is not about masking. The only thing we care is to find the bounding box of a selection.

Here's an example of a picture cropped with GIMP. So, first here's the original picture:

Now here's how we crop with GIMP. Notice the step from having a selection to cropping with a single click...

Registrazione schermata 2020-04-28 alle 00.15.03.mov 5.45 MB · 2 downloads

Hey ty for the comment, and yes one thing I like to do is help where I can. I do also understand your concern to want a quick feature implemented into Affinity Photo/Designer for the sole purpose of crop to selection. At this current time, This feature is not available to its users, but I don't like to see my fellow members frustrated by this. So In the post by @toltec their is no masking involved.

So Lets talk about this, in the video you posted, you selected 3 areas of an image. Then from that point you cropped the selection, which removed the outer blurred background from the image. This left just the inside portion of the image.  

You can achieve this also in Affinity Photo with using the Crop Tool.

Crop Tool Example

Crop-Icon.png.425b1e9a796f8bb1f9041bac5021810d.png

2 minutes ago, oO5Dynasty said:

Hey ty for the comment, and yes one thing I like to do is help where I can. I do also understand your concern to want a quick feature implemented into Affinity Photo/Designer for the sole purpose of crop to selection. At this current time, This feature is not available to its users, but I don't like to see my fellow members frustrated by this. So In the post by @toltec their is no masking involved.

So Lets talk about this, in the video you posted, you selected 3 areas of an image. Then from that point you cropped the selection, which removed the outer blurred background from the image. This left just the inside portion of the image.  

You can achieve this also in Affinity Photo with using the Crop Tool.

Crop Tool Example

Crop-Icon.png.425b1e9a796f8bb1f9041bac5021810d.png

Is this some kind of joke?

3 hours ago, TheLazza said:

Tropilio is probably surprised by you mentioning the crop tool, given there is totally no way of snapping the crop to the current selection. Which is what we are trying to do.

To be honest I showed you exactly what you showed me. Plus the crop tool is cropping to what you selected. I don’t think you guys are posting in the right thread. 

Crop to Selection. The Crop to Selection command crops the image to the boundary of the selection by removing any strips at the edges whose contents are all completely unselected. Areas which are partially selected (for example, by feathering) are not cropped.

The best thing I can do for you guys is link this post that clearly breaks it down. 

He even states affinity Photo is a nondestructive based workflow application. He also breaks down ways to still achieve what you are looking for. Please try these method and see if they are helpful. If not then you might have to stick with the software you are currently using to crop to selection. As always I try to help where I can, and I hope you ultimately find a way to use affinity.serif.com product in its entirely with no issues.

Listen @oO5Dynasty, I don't know if you are really not getting the point, or if you are pretending not to. In any case, you are answers are really confusing and sometimes just plainly wrong. You just wrote that:

The Crop to Selection command crops the image to the boundary of the selection

This is false. This whole topic is about the lack of possibility to do that in AP. We shown you even with videos what we mean by cropping to selection.

If you don't know the answer to something, then maybe, if you want to help people, you should consider the option of keeping quiet, instead of spreading misleading information.

1 hour ago, tropilio said:

Listen @oO5Dynasty, I don't know if you are really not getting the point, or if you are pretending not to. In any case, you are answers are really confusing and sometimes just plainly wrong. You just wrote that:

This is false. This whole topic is about the lack of possibility to do that in AP. We shown you even with videos what we mean by cropping to selection.

If you don't know the answer to something, then maybe, if you want to help people, you should consider the option of keeping quiet, instead of spreading misleading information.

Lol, Title is (is Crop to selection possible)

and that question was answered. No a crop to selection Function is not present in the current application. So we have given suggestions for a work around for those who want to work destructively inside a nondestructive application. Did my best to help you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

With the crop tool video you posted, you manually and approximately moved the crop rectangle until you kind of cropped the photo in the center.

Not in a precise way, not automatically. How is that comparable?

Please also note that "crop to selection" does not have to be destructive at all. If the crop tool was able to snap to the selection boundaries, one could use it to perform a non-destructive crop operation.

2 minutes ago, oO5Dynasty said:

Lol, Title is (is Crop to selection possible)

and that question was answered. No a crop to selection Function is not present in the current application. So we have given suggestions for a work around for those who want to work destructively inside a nondestructive application. Did my best to help you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks, I can read the title of the topic I am posting in. And the answer to that question is NO. 

As I wrote in my first post in this topic, the workarounds suggested do not work for my purpose!

On 4/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, tropilio said:

Long-time Photoshop user here trying this software for the first time today. So far I am really impressed, I like it very much. But... no crop to selection..?? What the hell! All the workarounds proposed here don't really do the job for me, because what I often do is I want to crop to the BOUNDING BOX of the selected area, which could be highly irregular and contain holes.

13 minutes ago, tropilio said:

because what I often do is I want to crop to the BOUNDING BOX of the selected area, which could be highly irregular and contain holes.

Do you have an example of what that would look like before and after the crop as it sounds like that has already been covered in other macros?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Do you have an example of what that would look like before and after the crop as it sounds like that has already been covered in other macros?

Sure, here:

On 4/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, tropilio said:

Video:

And here:

16 hours ago, TheLazza said:

Registrazione schermata 2020-04-28 alle 00.15.03.mov 5.45 MB · 5 downloads

Are two perfect examples on how I would use the crop to selection tool.

20 minutes ago, tropilio said:

And here:

OK, that second image can be done using a macro uploaded earlier in this thread - just use the selection brush to make a small selection top-left and bottom-right on the image where you want the crop to occur (screenshot attached) then run the macro (I have attached another copy of the macro to this post).

The first example I had not seen before so I may have a play with that one later this week. 

scenefin.png

Crop to 2 Selections.afmacros

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 minutes ago, carl123 said:

OK, that second image can be done using a macro uploaded earlier in this thread - just use the selection brush to make a small selection top-left and bottom-right on the image where you want the crop to occur (screenshot attached) then run the macro (I have attached another copy of the macro to this post).

The first example I had not seen before so I may have a play with that one later this week. 

scenefin.png

Crop to 2 Selections.afmacros 86.89 kB · 2 downloads

I tried the Macro, and thank you for sharing this information.

I also noticed Copy from the selection does the same thing as the macro.

I have examples with the same dimensions after the crop is performed.  756px x 656px

http://oo5dynasty.com/video/new_from_clipboard.mp4

http://oo5dynasty.com/video/crop_macro.mp4

4 minutes ago, oO5Dynasty said:

I also noticed Copy from the selection does the same thing as the macro.

You're right! Your incredibly innovative idea will work on all images with a solid colour... 

So, one just has to keep the lens cap on when taking a photo and your technique will work flawlessly.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)