You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

is Crop to selection possible

• 2 weeks later...

@carl123 thank you! Your macro is amazing. 😁 It's absurd that we need a macro for such a basic feature, but... go figure.

What I don't like about this discussion is the way some users are putting it... Like:

• you just need to do this (+ 10 steps of fiddling)
  • you are using the wrong tool
  • ... and other nonsense

We all understand Affinity products are quite good. There is no need to reinforce that.

However, making jokes on other users or pretending not to understand that "crop to selection" must crop the picture to the bounding box of a selection is just silly. This feature is present in basically any image editor and has been there in the open source program GIMP for 20 years as well (with one click).

There is no technical issue for Affinity to create a shortcut for the non-destructive crop tool. It would just need to retrieve the coordinates of the active selection and apply those.

every week throughout the winter I take and then process about 100 pictures of the ice cliffs in my area. one of the things I do is to select the area I want to focus on and crop appropriately. I have been using PS to do this for years. I'd like to make the switch to Affinity, but this lack of a Crop To Selection functionality is a real workflow deal-breaker. Get on it folks...

On 2/11/2020 at 9:03 PM, TheLazza said:

@carl123 thank you! Your macro is amazing. 😁 It's absurd that we need a macro for such a basic feature, but... go figure.

What I don't like about this discussion is the way some users are putting it... Like:

• ... and other nonsense

We all understand Affinity products are quite good. There is no need to reinforce that.

However, making jokes on other users or pretending not to understand that "crop to selection" must crop the picture to the bounding box of a selection is just silly. This feature is present in basically any image editor and has been there in the open source program GIMP for 20 years as well (with one click).

There is no technical issue for Affinity to create a shortcut for the non-destructive crop tool. It would just need to retrieve the coordinates of the active selection and apply those.

I totally get this. However I always appreciate hearing workarounds.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, TheLazza said:

• ... and other nonsense

That's really embarrassing. Looks like they live in kind of previous century.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very, very confused.   I downloaded Affinity Photo last week (trial) and today I went to crop a photo by selection.   To my surprise, it was not possible.  Ive been doing this for years in MS Paint, Paint.net, GIMP, Photoshop, and any other image editor that I can remember.    Why is this not an option in Affinity Photo?    Its very odd.  I was hoping that Affinity Photo was the software Ive been looking for (great price) but its missing such a basic feature, I'm worried its missing other features as I learn this software.

Why would is this feature missing?   Its been 3 years since this thread was started.   

Count me in as someone who wants this feature. Many times I'm doing some down & dirty icon design where I'll find a part of an image in a document and then select that part and want to remove everything else. I don't care if it's destructive as I "save as..."  Please add this feature. I'm willing to risk "destroying" my original to be able to use this feature (besides virtually every other piece of software does it).

It's been a few years since this thread was opened.  I'm coming from using a free generic software alternative, and decided to give Photo a run, since it has a very good price and I will be using Affinity Designer.  I'd like to add my two cents.

I've made a selection with the marquee. I've used the transform to get exactly the part of the image I want by numbers. I want my image to be 2w x 1h.

I can't crop it from the selection. Ok, fine. I'll try giving your crop tool a try. 

I've selected the size I want to crop 2x1, but now I can't use the transform tool. 

I do this dozens of times a day for blog articles. For now I guess I'm going back to my old software. 

I'm going to try to refund my purchase, just purchased it less than an hour ago, and am really disappointed this has been an ongoing issue for two years, plenty of users requesting the feature, and no support behind it. 

Edited by !Nox
Adding.

1 hour ago, !Nox said:

I've selected the size I want to crop 2x1, but now I can't use the transform tool. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm a bit confused by that comment. If you wanted 2:1, and you've got a 2:1 crop, what do you need to transform?

1 hour ago, !Nox said:

I'm going to try to refund my purchase

If you purchased directly from Serif you have a 14-day return period. Details at https://affinity.store/help/#returns

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell I want to crop 2:1 starting at Y= 120 px. While the marquee transform tool allows this, crop does not have this functionality built in. 

I hopped on the unofficial discord and someone helped my figure out a work around, by making a square with the transform tool and the popping the layer I want to crop into the square. Go figure, an odd way to do it, but if it works it works!

Speaking with people there they tell me that in general Affinity does have decent support for its products, so that is a relief. I'm glad they have that 14 day policy, I'll try it for a week before deciding to refund. I'd love to stick with Photo since I am actively using Design (which is amazing), figure it would help the workflow having everything from the same suite. Just hope not to run into too many scenarios like this one /:

- Unrelated venting

My latest pet peve is I can't copy paste into paint, which means I can't then copy paste into web whatsapp to share someting without saving a file. But I know that is just me being silly and not being able to copy paste into paint is probably something most people don't do at all. Changing workflows is always stressful I guess. 

Thanks for clarifying that, @!Nox.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been rummaging in the menus and help to find this basic option - only to come here to find it doesn't exist... Three plus years to not add something this fundamental seems... disappointing.

Affinity Photo, you're making it very hard to like you!  I'm comparing this against Paintshop Pro (my tool of choice for many years) and the number of missing simple usability features is driving me away again (for example many dialogs forget their last used settings - which is madness!).

I don't want to be a misery and not give it a chance, so I'm going to use it until the trial expires and write up a list of missing things I find.  I imagine that anything will just go onto a big pile of "we'll think about it someday in the future" but at least it will make me feel better!

Hey guys you know the selection tool allows you to select a image. Just use that tool and if you don’t know how to use the tool I have a tutorial in my channel explaining how. When I purchased affinity photo some years ago I was looking for the crop to selection feature. Now I have not used that feature in years and my work flow is so much butter working non destructively. The funny part is I still pay a monthly subscription to Adobe because I need Premiere Pro and After Effects. But I still dive into photoshop at times to edit some photos because I like their filter gallery and their oil paint filter. But I have not used Crop to selection in years because of Affinity Photo basically teaching me you don’t need that tool. Now before I get hate for this post, I’m just a friendly person who wouldn’t mind seeing crop to selection added. But in all reality you actually won’t even need it when really start mastering Affinity Photo. So don’t give up on this software it’s actually really amazing, and it will get better. Plus if they had a video editing software I wouldn’t be using adobe anymore and just put my money into Serif! 

whatever image you want to crop a selection to just use the selection tool. If you mess up your selection, just use the alt/option key to fix it. Crop to selection is not needed trust me.

10 hours ago, oO5Dynasty said:

my work flow is so much butter working non destructively.

Sometimes one simply wants or even needs it more destructive and really get rid of parts – without loosing any other option, e.g. layers... Therefore:

+ 1 Agree for a Crop To Selection feature

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

24 minutes ago, TheLazza said:

Nice videotutorial, but that has nothing to do with "crop to selection".

Hey ty for the comment! If you apply the same principles, and just use your selection tool in what you are trying to crop out, it will work. I can make a video showcasing it if you like.

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Sometimes one simply wants or even needs it more destructive and really get rid of parts – without loosing any other option, e.g. layers... Therefore:

+ 1 Agree for a Crop To Selection feature

I hear ya, and I’m not one to mess with somebody’s workflow. What I will do is make a video showcasing work around for this.

Long-time Photoshop user here trying this software for the first time today. So far I am really impressed, I like it very much. But... no crop to selection..?? What the hell! All the workarounds proposed here don't really do the job for me, because what I often do is I want to crop to the BOUNDING BOX of the selected area, which could be highly irregular and contain holes.

5 hours ago, tropilio said:

Long-time Photoshop user here trying this software for the first time today. So far I am really impressed, I like it very much. But... no crop to selection..?? What the hell! All the workarounds proposed here don't really do the job for me, because what I often do is I want to crop to the BOUNDING BOX of the selected area, which could be highly irregular and contain holes.

Can you give an example please? A image or a video showcasing example.