You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick and simple question guys...

What is the best/most efficient way to reduce the outer dimensions of this document, while MAINTAINING the size of the logo image within it?...masking?...cropping? Not sure what direction to go.

I attached a copy of the file for your viewing.

My desired end result is a thin border around the outer edge of the white curved corner portion of the logo.

Thanks!

-Christo   (sorry for all the newbie questions)

@christovw66ComebackROUNDEDprimary2.afdesign

Hi There,

I just had a look at your file:

There are several ways you could do this. I Have listed a few for you below so you can what suits you best and depending on what you require of the artwork!

1. Select your outer red rectangle and then insert Artboard (using Artboard tool) with; Size rather than Document selected in the Context Menu (This will create an Artboard to the same dimensions of the selected object then export//save)

2. Using same Method but add a background rectangle object at size you require (Then you can control the exact dimensions and repeat 1)

3. Insert Artboard Using Size:Document Then use handles to manually resize or define specific size in the Transform Panel

Current document size=430x297mm (300dpi)
object = 305x204 mm

3. In export Persona
Create a Slice using the Slice tool and export using your named slice

4. Create Slice from Selected layer (in layers Panel/PixelPersona/Layers then Create Slice button) Then go to slices and export

There are a few other ways like resetting the document dimensions or create a new document to required size and Copy/Paste your object

Hope this helps have fun with the application!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Stuart_R...

...real quick follow-up (please see thumbnail below).

While in the Artboard tool, I don't see 'Size' as an option to choose when following your instruction in #1 of the options you offered in your response to my post. 

I've had my AD 1.5 (Mac) since January 2017...could this be missing because of an AD update not yet done on my system?

Thanks again.

-Christo

post-49603-0-81371800-1489286068_thumb.png

While in the Artboard tool, I don't see 'Size' as an option to choose when following your instruction in #1 of the options you offered in your response to my post.

Try the second item ("Selection") in the size popup menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi There,

I just had a look at your file:

There are several ways you could do this. I Have listed a few for you below so you can what suits you best and depending on what you require of the artwork!

1. Select your outer red rectangle and then insert Artboard (using Artboard tool) with; Size rather than Document selected in the Context Menu (This will create an Artboard to the same dimensions of the selected object then export//save)

2. Using same Method but add a background rectangle object at size you require (Then you can control the exact dimensions and repeat 1)

3. Insert Artboard Using Size:Document Then use handles to manually resize or define specific size in the Transform Panel

Current document size=430x297mm (300dpi)

object = 305x204 mm

3. In export Persona

Create a Slice using the Slice tool and export using your named slice

4. Create Slice from Selected layer (in layers Panel/PixelPersona/Layers then Create Slice button) Then go to slices and export

There are a few other ways like resetting the document dimensions or create a new document to required size and Copy/Paste your object

Hope this helps have fun with the application!

Stuart_R...

...thus far I've tried your instructions #1 - #3 but am obviously doing something wrong. I've only been able to reduce the red background without effecting the proportions of the logo image by manually changing the H and W dimensions in the transform panel, but the logo image seems 'locked' in place, i.e., I do not know how to 'center' it within the new, reduced red background.

Sorry for asking what is most certainly a simplistic question, and I don't mean to waste anyone's time. Please know that I am playing around with this on my own a good bit before resorting to ask more questions. I'm just still missing some know-how, trying to learn by doing as much as possible.

See screen shot below of my result after attempting apply #1 - #3 from of your original response to my query.

Thanks all.

-Christo

post-49603-0-95430300-1489493155_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi christovw66,

Check this clip (no sound). I've deleted the big red rectangle, and used the existing white square as the base. I've duplicated it, copied/pasted the red color from the donut shape, removed the rounded corners, enlarged it to create the outline around the original white square and converted it to an artboard (placing all other elements inside it in the end).

Hi christovw66

Sorry I missed your response  with regarding centering objects/art-boards and selections; However, MEB has offered an effective solution...and another method of creating art-boards!

Asking questions, even simple ones! is not a waste of time..It's how we all move forward....and happy to help.. 

Hi MEB

Thanks for picking up and helping with the Query! regarding the second question

I liked your quick video.... 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

All the folks I've encountered on the AD and AP forums have been extremely helpful. Thanks for the vid MEB, and I appreciate your sentiment Stuart_R.

Really glad I went with Affinity products - I frequently 'preach' to photo/media/graphics friends about you guys/gals.

Regards.

-Christo