raptor

Aff. Photo: Transforming a selection causes it to have soft edges

Hi,

everytime I transform (resize) a simple selection (using the quick mask mode and then the move tool) i get soft / feathered edges of the selection afterwards.

It's possible that I am not aware of some settings or I am doing something wrong but to me this seems  like a bug.

I attached a picture with description how to reproduce the bug.

Affinity Photo Trial 1.5.1.54

Windows 7 64bit

post-36752-0-60740800-1489238328_thumb.png

Hi Raptor,

Just to confirm to you have 'Force Pixel Alignment enabled on the toolbar? Without this enabled it will not snap to a pixel boundary. However, even with that enabled if you are resizing to maintain aspect ratio it will not snap correctly as it is still trying to maintain 'perfect' aspect ratio so you will get some feathered edges (albeit not as bad as if you don't have Force Pixel Alignment on). 

I do believe that with Force Pixel Alignment on then it should ALWAYS snap to the pixel grid, even if it would make the aspect ratio ever so slightly different. I shall get that reported.

Hi Sean,

yes, I made sure it was enabled. I even always kept looking at the numeric values in the Transform palette to make sure that all selections were pixel perfect (whole pixels).

I've made an animated GIF showing the issue. This time I didn't even click on any resizing handle nor switched to the Quick mask mode. I just resized the height of the selection by rewriting the numeric value in the Transform palette. Then I copied the contents of the selection and pasted it to a new document via New From Clipboard. Again, I got those unwanted soft edges. Note that since I resized the selection only in the Y axis I got soft edges at the top and bottom. Left and right edges remained unaffected.

(Sorry for some delays in the GIF.)

post-36752-0-40584900-1489437057_thumb.gif

No problem at all, Sean.

it looks like it is being caused by the resizing in the Transform Panel

I would say not only by the resizing in the Transform panel but rather in general by resizing a selection.

I've made an another GIF showing the issue if you use Quick mask to resize the selection (in this case I didn't touch the Transform panel at all) - this is what I described in my first post. 

One thing that stands out: the more you resize the selection the bigger the feathering gets. In this demonstration I started from a small rectangle and resized it a lot (maybe 1000 %). If you look at the edges after I copied&pasted the selection, you can see that the feathering is very "thick" (it spans many pixels from the edges towards the center of the picture). Whereas if you resize the selection just a little bit you will get "thinner" feathered edges (more likely to go unnoticed) - see the first GIF I posted where I didn't resize the original selection too much.

One more thing is shown in this GIF: After the demonstration of the feathered edges in the new document tab I go back to the original file and apply Invert Selection on the resized&problematic selection. Notice how the "inside" corners get cut/rounded.

post-36752-0-80035500-1489510354_thumb.gif

I just want to ask whether this issue was worked on or not. When I evaluated the recent version (1.6.0.89) I found out that the issue was still present. I thought that it had already been fixed but then I noticed that it ruined some of my work - luckily it was just some testing/evaluation work.

I noticed that the feathering only happens to the sides which are transformed. E.g. if you extend the rectangle to the right, only the right side of the selection is feathered. AP 1.6.2.97 Windows