You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorial [AP + AD] beginner -> amateur -> pro

Thanks for this. Nice to have it all in one place.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Thanks, MBd.  Have you done one like this for Designer as well?  That's the one that I'm a beginner in.  

well I'm honestly not that much of a Designer.....

SoftProof, ColorProfiles, Performance, ColorSpaces, Export....well...most of the things are actually the same in AD.

The tools in Designer are generally a bit easier I'd say, (crop and clip is not easy but is the same in AD and AP)

there are certain design workflows like nesting and using shapes that I may know to some extend but there are for sure much better tutorials about them out there form guys like frankentoon or Paolo. sorry

anyway I think I'll put [AP + AD] in the title because I realize that most things mentioned in here are shared among both 

cheers  :)  

• 2 weeks later...

///

I definitely plan to maintain this list and may add some more at a given time
possible topics that come to my mind are: dodge&burn, sharpening, very basic talk about tones for beginners, ways to misuse AP
...let me know what you need, think :)  

I've just posted a follow up on this regarding Dodge&Burn

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37832-the-one-guide-to-all-dodge-burn-optns/

this is likely the second most important thing in photo manipulation, just after mastering curves  :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those asking about Designer, Frankentoon has some cracking tutorials on their site, see http://www.frankentoon.com/toonlab

I especially like the (vampire) one that shows just how dramatic an image improves with a bit of raster grunge - beautiful, yet so simple.  There's also good stuff from there about creating cartoons and some starting kits to get you up to speed if that's your scene.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 1 month later...

Hi MBd, any thanks for posting these links, and for your tutorials. They are helping me come up to speed with AP

Great ;)

If you want to add something to a topic or ask a specific question, feel free to post in the corresponding thread.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Downloaded the PDF, its very useful. I never did any photo/image processing except in a very casual manner. Lots of basic stuff I need to have defined.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

1 minute ago, gdenby said:

Downloaded the PDF, its very useful. I never did any photo/image processing except in a very casual manner. Lots of basic stuff I need to have defined.

If you have any objections let me know

(things missing/ too complicated)

if you like it you may let me know as well ;)

@MBd:  Ahh, so "things" more in the sense of definitions, rather than basic how-to's. I think you have chosen a good starter set.

For DPI/PPI, might you add a "why/where does DPI/PPI matter? It is a difficult concept for beginners who have all their life measured stuff with a ruler. Why do they need to know the DPI/PPI definition/thing? Why can't they just keep using cm/inches they have used since grade 1? We all know a display is measured in pixels but so what? It was a difficult concept for me until I became a web designer. Then, there was no getting around it anymore.

Always appreciate the generous tips you provide and this is another great example!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

2 hours ago, jer said:

@MBd:  Ahh, so "things" more in the sense of definitions, rather than basic how-to's. I think you have chosen a good starter set.

For DPI/PPI, might you add a "why/where does DPI/PPI matter? It is a difficult concept for beginners who have all their life measured stuff with a ruler. Why do they need to know the DPI/PPI definition/thing? Why can't they just keep using cm/inches they have used since grade 1? We all know a display is measured in pixels but so what? It was a difficult concept for me until I became a web designer. Then, there was no getting around it anymore.

Always appreciate the generous tips you provide and this is another great example!

added, as well as info about contrast/ sharpening 

cheers 

No objections. The document clarified some things I partially understood, like alpha.

Small typo correction. In the table about "save as psd or what"

The column labeled "supports ector" I s'pose should be "supports vector" :)

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

13 minutes ago, gdenby said:

No objections. The document clarified some things I partially understood, like alpha.

Small typo correction. In the table about "save as psd or what"

The column labeled "supports ector" I s'pose should be "supports vector" :)

yeah

should have used an editor with auto correct ;)

I'm not completely sold on this table anyhow, but it is difficult to describe all file formats in a few lines so the rest is yet to be discovered by the user :D

I think alpha is super weird for someone that is new to this...naming is not good at all :D

• 1 month later...

Good Time vs Color Definition chart! xD Funny!

You could even add another downward column showing how my aging eyes took colors from bright in Grade School to some gray average Now! Making me happy it is somebody else's problem.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop