You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Photo] Massive RAW development & fast switch to next/prev file

After sugestion from topic I would see easy massive RAW file development. My idea ilustrated this video.

In short
Fast add new file and then quick change them to working with it.

Difference what is in the clip
1. The more simple explorer without sorting, tagging and more complicated managment
2. Persona style development

Idea

1. Easy navigation next/previous RAW file
  2. Delete RAW from dialog
  3. Set preset in Affinity Photo when I develop RAW and then using Export Persona set output fx. the same name "holidays_" and with batch name like holidays_001.jpg, holidays_002.jpg and the same settings like output format, compression etc.
  4. Option make custom library of preset like B&W, sepia, infrared etc.
  5. Remove from app - delete from list to develop but not physicaly delete file
  6. Copy settings (preset) from one RAW to another   - fx. I set sepia and invert colours with curves. I don't have to set this on another RAW from scratch but I can simply use preset for similar photo development / actual develop setting - past/copy RAW preset.
  7. Using macros to manipulation of file fx. add the same watermark for all output files based on logo from Affinity Designer to each opened RAW file
  8. Quick preview - on T520 with 16GB DDR3 RAM / HD 3000, i7-2620M loading 7 PEF RAW take about ~8 min.
  9. Fast switch to another RAW file - at the same machine change to next it's about 30sec-1minutes minimum.

Difference from Lightroom style app

1. No more any advanced catalogue option in app, only quick switch to next / previous file
  2. App without extra option like photo book, manage, slideshow

What makes difference Lightroom in plus ?
  1. Faster switch to another files - simply click on them
  2. Easy way to set few file to the same name / output template (like JPG with 85% compression in dimension 1024x768 etc.) and output folder
  3. Better PEF RAW loading time
  4. Better preview when I'm working with few files

Where Lightroom has limitation?

1. Fast remove part of picture, add text, simple effect in one app without changing to another
  2. Manager / navigation feature cost space to preview image
  3. No more advanced tools to quick adjust image

Where Affinity Photo has adavantage?

1. It's easy to use more advanced tool without changing app
  2. Simple switch between basic tools and advanced tools depending what you want

Where Affinity Photo has disadvantage?

1. Performance - in my case app is stucking. I change fx. White Ballance and I'm waiting few sec or more to see result what I do in app
  2. Change another RAW file to working with it takes too much time
  3. No preview - select file to working is troublesome - if you have few images and you want select one you have to use another app or Microsoft Windows RAW preview plugin to comfortable selection. It is faster and simpler.

Scenarios in RAW mass development missed in Affinity Photo

1. Quick select one file from few RAW to more deep development in app when files was opened
  2. Working with similar RAW file and exchange preset or current adjustments to another file
  3. Massive export few files in the same category fx. create folder portrait and put all working file in one click

Summary
At the same machine with running e-mail client in background I have comfortable RAW working in Lightroom. On the finish I only set name, catalogue and after processing I get more output files in the same time than in Affinity Photo. I am limited to external app to choose RAW file. Performance lack make a deal to my productivity.

• 4 weeks later...

Related to this is the general question of Browsing, which could easily be another Persona. On1 does this well. A way of quick switching is to do background processing in preparing target images, doing thumbnails, etc. Just wait until the user is not doing any heavy processing, then steal cycles. Keystroke, mouse or tablet event pauses this, as does heavy processing such as transforming.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

It could be a some solution, but I think here not about duplicate open functionality, but add part of interface to fast switch to another file folder fx. you've located folder with working files and only switch to next (fx. DCIM downloaded from DSLR). At the working solutions which I see the best is simply click on new file to activate them. Click on persona and then switch is walk around. You have two steps not one. I think interesing can be another aproach - as new persona simple browser to fast load and make list files to open and shourtkey combination to view small thumbnails to click & load file.

I think troubles are:

1. Too much options - you don't have fast switching, because catalogues, stars marking options take place in simplicity

2. Fast hide navigation bar - sometimes you need more space for works fx. 15" laptop screen

3. Too much steps to switch files

Posible advantage in Browse Persona:

1. Simply copy adjustment between files based on thumbnails

2. With combination with Export Persona it can make batch processing export fx. in Export Persona set filename, jpg compression, colours and in Browse Persona copy this settings to file - fx by clicking one icon you can adjust all settings to all files

For better performance Browse Persona (Navigation Persona) needs ergonomic keyboard shourtcut to fast switch to them. At this solution you have way of working:

1. As is here - open file by standard dialog

2. Select files from directory (with subdirectory option) in Browse Persona

3. Switching on selected files

IMHO option 2 and 3 can boost performance if Affinity Team add them by simplicity on the first place in projecting stage.