You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD][AP]GPU acceleration like using CUDA

Hi there!

I read few years ago about VGA for graphic design like Nvidia Quadro series. I found info about special optimised driver for specific app in Quadro case fx. for CAD. I'm interesting that Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo have any benefit from CUDA and special dedicated video card to graphics design? I'm changing my Lenovo T520 to Lenovo W520 and I'm interesting that I get any benefits from changing HD 3000 to Quadro 1000M 128@2GB VRAM.

On the benchmark it's look like I get twice better speed.

At this point is a really matter have CUDA when working with Affinity apps? Special dedicated video card in Quadro style cards gets any advantage in comparision to typical customer / gamer products?

The developers have mentioned several times that most of the heavy lifting in the Affinity apps is done by the CPU & the GPU is used mostly just for rendering to the screen. So there probably would be little performance improvement with a more powerful GPU or any kind of special driver for it.

Dollar for dollar, your best bet for using Affinity is to invest in the most powerful CPU you can afford -- more cores and/or higher clock rates will make the most difference in their performance.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R-C-R, thank you for your advice! I'm going to switch from i7-2620M to i7-2920XM (from 2 to 4 core). When Designer make me a lot of work comfortable I'm sometimes lost a patience when changing 10mpx RAW file. I hope that Affinity Photo will be use CUDA to render PEF files.

MBd, great link! I'm looking for it a lot of time. From some strange reason I can't download mentioned bang photo. Eh! Maybe I do something wrong by clicking cloud icon? I'll try download and test it on my Lenovo T520.

I hope that Affinity Photo will be use CUDA to render PEF files.

As I understand it, rendering an image is already very fast in Affinity, even with a run-of-the-mill GPU. It is all the pre-render processing that takes time to perform, & that is (apparently) not well suited to the kind of parallelism CUDA provides. I could be wrong about this, so take it for what little it is worth.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've not trouble with JPG and similar files. When I open RAW file it's take few minutes to render file (simple Open File to load before use Develop). I use integrated VGA, but fx. in Corel AfterShot 2 I can open PEF minimum twice faster. Maybe is a settings issue? I don't know. 

I found info that CUDA is the best option for calculating data in CAD, but IMHO it can be use to speed up opening file as paralel render parts of image simultanously. Crucial point is that softwate use it.

You just need to wait
The download indicator is the white border of the circle, filling with red slowly

Many people got tripped by that

You've right! I downloaded file, but I don't know how unlock them. I try unlock on layers but I still have [locked] in tab.

When I open RAW file it's take few minutes to render file (simple Open File to load before use Develop).

Rendering is not the same thing as pre-processing the RAW file, which involves demosaicing & possibly other processing to generate a RGB image that can then be rendered to the screen.

Affinity Photo