You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Where is marquee tool

I recently downloaded Affinity designer and I am trying to simply edit an image.

I can't seem to find the marquee tool.

What I am trying to do is;

Drag/select an area of the image or background.

Cut that section out, and replace it with a new graphic or paste in a new image.

Is this possible with affinity designer?

• Staff

Hi goseese,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, it's possible. To access the selection marquee tools you must switch to Pixel Persona (menu Affinity Designer ▸ Pixel Persona - if you are using a Mac, or File ▸ Personas ▸ Pixel - if you are using Windows). The selection tools are on the toolbar on the left (after the Move Tool). Simply select the part of the image you want to get rid of and press Delete on your keyboard. To add new images to the document (as new layers) just drag them from the Finder (on Mac) or from a File Explorer window (on Windows) over the canvas of an open document in Affinity.

Thanks that is getting me there.

Sorry for the super noob questions.

I have inserted an image, and changed to the pixel persona.

I can drag select an area on the image, however when I delete or cut the entire image is deleted not just he selected area.

I also tried to right click in the selected area.

How do I delete just the marquee selected area of the image below it?

Go to the Layers panel, where you will find that the inserted image is of type '(Image)'. This type of layer/object can only be transformed, or cut/copied, globally. To work on it at the pixel level (e.g. to delete a selected region) you need to right-click it and choose the 'Rasterize...' option so that it shows as type '(Pixel)'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 years later...
On 3/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, Alfred said:

Go to the Layers panel, where you will find that the inserted image is of type '(Image)'. This type of layer/object can only be transformed, or cut/copied, globally. To work on it at the pixel level (e.g. to delete a selected region) you need to right-click it and choose the 'Rasterize...' option so that it shows as type '(Pixel)'.

I am using the Trial at the moment, and tbqh I would like to be able to do this without converting elements into pixels as this loses quality. Is there a way to change the setting so that rasterised objects keep the highest quality possible? 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Kidsonic_Official. :)

11 hours ago, Kidsonic_Official said:

I would like to be able to do this without converting elements into pixels as this loses quality

I’m sure we’d all like to enjoy the benefits of being able to work at the pixel level without needing to have pixels to work on, but I don’t see how it could be done! All you can do is set the document DPI high enough for the desired output quality.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)