You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 weeks later...

If by tiled printing you mean more than one copy of the document per printed page, you can do this by grouping everything in your document, scaling that down appropriately, duplicating the group as many times as needed, & arranging them on the canvas however you want them to be printed on the printed page.

The only "gotcha" when doing this is Frame text does not scale if you use the Transform panel to do the scaling, but you can do the scaling by selecting the group & on the canvas scale it using the extra control handle that appears below & to the right of the bounding box when you select anything that contains Frame text.

Using guides, snapping, & power duplicate makes this much quicker & easier to do than it sounds.

Alternately, in Designer only, you can make your group a symbol so that editing any one instance is propagated to all the others on the canvas. You can even turn off sync selectively to change something in one instance without changing it in any of the others.

Attached is an example that may make this clearer. Note that in the first instance I changed the text slightly.

coffee 2.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If by tiled printing you mean more than one copy of the document per printed page, you can do this by....

I think what the OP means is printing a large document to several sheets of paper (e.g. an A1 page to eight or more A4 sheets, or a Tabloid-size page to two or more Letter-size sheets) with a controllable amount of overlap between the "tiles".

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, that is exactly what I mean.  It's a big minus from me that this is not available on Affinity. I also miss the sliding zoom control on DrawPlus  and of course the fact that I cannot import my DrawPlus files directly into Affinity is another big minus for me. Affinity is easy to use, just like DrawPlus. I like the DrawPlus interface better. It has a cleaner look than Affinity. In my case I cannot see any great advantage in switching to Affinity. I'll wait for now, happy with DrawPlus.  Shame that Serif have also abandoned WebPlus.

Your printer driver may offer tiling options, or you could export to PDF and use the tiling options in your PDF reader. As for a sliding zoom control in Affinity Designer, look at the Context toolbar after choosing the Zoom Tool: there's a slider with detents at several places (10%, 25%, 50%, etc) and although it 'only' goes up to 1000% percent you can type any number you want in the box.

Yes, it is a shame that Serif have abandoned WebPlus, but it's understandable given that they couldn't make it generate responsive/adaptive pages without a complete rewrite.

Alfred spacer.png

As for a sliding zoom control in Affinity Designer, look at the Context toolbar after choosing the Zoom Tool: there's a slider with detents at several places ...

There is also the Navigator Studio panel, which not only has a zoom slider but also an Advanced mode that allows users to save & name view points at arbitrary zoom levels & canvas positions. The View menu includes "Move to Next View Point" & "Move to Previous View Point" items, which can be assigned custom keyboard shortcuts. This can be very useful for quickly jumping among various parts of the canvas.

The Zoom tool also offers two modes of operation, & there is a preference that can be set to zoom with a mouse scroll wheel or equivalent, which makes it possible to simultaneously zoom in & out & use another tool like a brush or the Pen tool at the same time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, riverroad said:

I need tiling as a print option as well.  It is important when trying to print something to scale that will not fit on the paper size.  I.e. as a pattern for cutting parts, etc.

This is an old topic. The functions seems to be part of the Affinity suite for 1.7, at least on Windows:
image.png.1a613b93dc260e2767a46e5881208516.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The functions seems to be part of the Affinity suite for 1.7, at least on Windows:

On Macs, too.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, riverroad said:

Thanks, I have Affinity 1.7 suite--where is the option to change printing to tiling?

Are you a Mac or Windows user?

Affinity Photo 

Just testing myself and not working for me. Tried to print an A2 on 6 sheets A4 with overlapping of 15 mm, automatic orientation (landscape obviously). Only on two printed pages the cutting marks and no clue where to glue the pages together.

The application calculated 6 pages, which must be plain wrong.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

17 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

The application calculated 6 pages, which must be plain wrong.

Must it? An A2 page has exactly the same area as a 2 by 2 grid of A4 sheets (same orientation) if there is no overlap, so if you want an overlap you need to increase the number of sheets. The most efficient way to fit a portrait A2 page on A4 sheets is to use landscape A4, where 2 times the 297 mm width minus the 15 mm overlap is ample to accommodate the 420 mm width of the portrait A2 page. The height of a portrait A2 page is 594 mm, which will fit within the height of three pairs of landscape A4 sheets (210 mm each) even after reduction for the 2 times 15 mm overlaps.

Alfred spacer.png

Yes, it is calculated wrong. ;) You are of course right with A4 landscape makes a height of 630 mm (compared to A2 height of 594 mm). So we have 2x15 mm overlapping substracted from 630 mm = 600 mm. So 6 mm left? What about the trim marks? They eat up space to. How should I cut and position the printouts without them? And last but not least I am quite confident, that 90% (or more?) printers (not in a printing house) are NOT able to print from edge to edge of the paper. Maybe we should talk about 5 mm around the page.

If I want to tile print with ID CS6 (pretty easy from my point of view) I always get 9 pages.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Ah, yes, I obviously forgot about the trim marks, so you were right all along. My apologies.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 months later...

Didn't work for me either.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.