Aammppaa

[AD] Layers Panel Thumbnail Preview often blank / doesn't refresh

The layer thumbnail previews in the layer panel are often blank (just a black square) and do not refresh or update.

This happens under many circumstances including…

• when creating new objects
  • opening an existing file
  • reorganizing existing objects

As you might imagine this makes working with any project of significant complexity very difficult.

Sometimes the thumbnails can be forced to refresh by zooming the view, but other times this doesn't work.

Usually switching to a different document in a second tab, and then returning to the original file forces a refresh.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Yes, I forget whether this issue was about the Windows or Mac version, but this has been reported before. Expanding and collapsing other layers usually works for the time being (if they're nested).

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I reported a very similar issue a while back, that seemed to relate to nesting of layers... https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36294-ad-layer-thumbnail-doesnt-update-with-nested-layers-under-certain-circumstances/

Perhaps this is the same bug, but now it seems to apply to pretty much every object I create!

I am unclear whether this is a bug affecting only me, or whether all Win AD users are currently suffering in silence!

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

I guess there were a few topics on this, because I responded to a different one before, so it is not only affecting you. I do at times face the issue here as well on Mac, but from the sound of it, not as often as you.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Is there any progress on this bug?

My impression is that the situation is actually worse in the current beta 1.6.86 where the majority of the thumbnails are blank / black, most of the time!

I believe I'm seeing the same issue on Affinity Designer 1.5.5 on macOS Siera 10.12.6.  Though, not on the thumbnails, but rather in the main workspace.  Is this the same issue?

The only resolution I can find is to close the file and re-open it anew.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 12.53.00 PM.png

Hey slemmon,

This is a different issue. It looks like you're either using a Thunderbolt connection to another screen from a MBP or you're waking your Mac up from sleep. The good news is we haven't seen this in the current beta builds and we are due to release 1.6 very soon. Users have reported resetting the NVRAM can fix this but I think it is only temporary. You can try the beta or wait for 1.6 to be released to the Mac App Store. With 1.6 being so close to release you may want to wait for that. The beta I've linked is the release candidate but we may change this last minute. 

On 25/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, Aammppaa said:

Is there any progress on this bug?

My impression is that the situation is actually worse in the current beta 1.6.86 where the majority of the thumbnails are blank / black, most of the time!

Do you have a screenshot and steps to reproduce? I haven't noticed this in a long time and all our logged bugs (that I can see)relating to this seem to be marked as resolved.

@Chris B Still seeing this bug, and it is greatly affecting my workflow today!

Using the current Beta (1.6.3.96) but I see the same in the retail build.

5a315ff2ec2c0_AffinityBlankThumbnails.png.3846169f29adea126f3f4dc21fa84e99.png

15 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

@Chris B Still seeing this bug, and it is greatly affecting my workflow today!

Using the current Beta (1.6.3.96) but I see the same in the retail build.

I still cannot reproduce this. Can you send me that document please? I've tried setting up a big document with lots of nested layers but it's displays fine for me.