You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thoughts about features so far

I work mainly on visual identity projects and have used both Affinity Designer and Photo since they came out on the market. While Affinity Designer is certainly a promising piece of software I could not unfortunately (at this point) use it for professional purposes. I continue to support the developers for their work however I will have to stick to illy for the time being. The features I'll list may have been discussed before but I'll get them in one place to illustrate my point on this. These are a couple of missing features that I bumped in with some attempted projects in Affinity Designer:

• Most important PDF export as vector. Most clients work with Adobe products so I need to deliver files that will support multiple stop gradients/transparency and eliptical gradients as vector.
  • Bezier handle snap to the grid. This is especially useful for logos and typography
  • Delete control points and break the curve at the same time. Having to break lines separately is a tedious workaround.
  • Shape offset and a better algorithm for point distribution. The current workaround with strokes creates many useless vertices along the path.
  • Split shapes with a single line. Right now the only way I could split a shape is by using another closed shape.
  • Line width control points. I know there is currently a pressure option but it just doesn't cut it for complex situations.

I'll be watching the app's updates and activity in case this will get added in a near future. Really looking forward to completing an entire project using Affinity Designer.

Cheers and godspeed.  :)

Core i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz    |     8GB Hyperx Memory      |      Radeon R9 270X     |    Samsung 120 SSD

Hi filip89,

just be patient. There is a lot work to do. As you can see both apps are at version 1.5. Just look behind and see what features Illustrator and Photoshop offered at version 1.5. Up to version 2.0 of Designer and Photo you will have myriad of features to play/work with.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)