You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I want to open a photo in Affinity and then open another one on top of that and be able to alter the top one to make it fainter etc. I have been through the layers videos as I thought it would be there but have not found it. All I seem to be able to do is replace one photo with the other. So if someone could point me to whatever video covers this I would be very grateful

Edward

Open your first image. Then go to file >Place from drop down menu. Navigate to your second image and click open. drag a corner to make it the size you want. Will be on top of the layer stack. You can also copy and paste the second image. 

hiya eddietheone,

If you are just starting out playing with layers, instead of using a black or white brush, try using a gray one and see if that gives you any ideas.

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde

I want to open a photo in Affinity and then open another one on top of that and be able to alter the top one to make it fainter etc.

Your topic title is 'Merging two photos', which makes me wonder whether you want to place a small photo on top of a larger one and fade its edge(s) so that there is a gradual transition between the two. If that's what you're trying to achieve, you can do it by adding a mask layer, dragging its thumbnail in the Layers panel and dropping it onto the thumbnail of the top image, and using the Gradient Tool to apply a white-to-black gradient fill.

Please post back if you need further details, or if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your replies and sorry I have been a bit slow in replying but life has been dragging me off in another direction and preventing me from getting on with my photo projects'

Having read my question again I can see I could have listed it a bit better to make it more understandable. I was playing around with the layers as I thought that was where it would be done. What I want to do is have one picture and then be able to put a faint image over the top. I suppose an example might be a watermark on a banknote, it is there but very faint and visible when held to the light. I want to do that kind of thing but not quite so faint. The image needs to be transparent so that the top image does not block any of the first photo.

Hopefully I have explained it better now and I hope to try out the suggestions this week and I will post how I get on

Edward 

You just need to adjust the opacity of the top layer down to a low level, say 10-15%.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi eddietheone,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You didn't specify which type of layer you want to put above the main image. It's another image? a logo? Take a look at this tutorial - Text – Branding/Watermarking - it may help you to achieve what you want. In principle you just have to change the opacity of the layer that sits above the main image in the Layers panel. You can also use different Blend modes (also in the Layers panel - the dropdown on the right) for additional creative options.

Thanks John I do not seem able to put a picture on the top layer. I open a base photo and then open a new layer and the next picture just overwrites the lot so I am doing it wrong somehow. I went to the video tutorials so I will have to get back there and see where I am going wrong later on

Edward

You have to use the "File->place" option (or try drag'n'drop) in order to place the second image on top in a new layer. Afterwards alter the top (second image) layer opacity option accordingly to your needs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 weeks later...

You have to use the "File->place" option (or try drag'n'drop) in order to place the second image on top in a new layer. Afterwards alter the top (second image) layer opacity option accordingly to your needs.

Thanks once again to everyone I will hopefully get back to this project in the next week or two and I will tell you all if I have succeeded which I should do with the info you have all given me.