You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi 

I have been using AP since it launched with windows. I have just started having problems with the clone tool.

If I click "Alt and click" to select source the cursor stays in the middle of the brush, with a message saying press "Alt click" to select, which I have .

I have tried re installing the program but no change , can some help please.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Try clearing your user data: close Affinity Photo if it is already running, press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and keep it held down while you relaunch the program; when the 'Clear User Data' dialog pops up, press the 'Clear' button. If that still doesn't solve the problem, try again but press 'Select All' in the dialog before pressing 'Clear'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alfred

Sorry I have not responded earlier and thanks for taking the time to help.

I have done as you have described but unfortunately I still have a problem. If I hold down the alt/shift the cursor stays in the centre of the brush.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but that did not help either.

thanks again

Dave 

• Staff

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to press and hold ALT, click the source area then release the ALT key and paint over the target area you want. Isn't this working for you? If it still doesn't work can you please record a small clip of what you are seeing/experiencing... maybe i'm missing something. Are you running any third party utility that may be interfering with the alt shortcut?  Thanks. 

Hi and thank for taking the time to help,

I have opened an image held down the Alt key and shift key releasing alt to select source, as soon as I release alt the cursor just stays straight in  the centre of my brush.

I am not running any third party software, and sadly I do not know how to record a clip. there are times when I feel so stupid sorry.

Try holding down the Alt key, pressing the mouse button and then releasing the mouse button before you release the Alt key.

Alfred spacer.png

Although you don't have to press Shift, it shouldn't prevent Alt-click from working. It doesn't make any obvious difference here.

Alfred spacer.png

Thank you so much, I can now clone - Brilliant. 

Thanks for the update, Dave. What were you doing differently? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png

I followed through but in a mess. Windows 7, nothing running, managed to catch a "Snip".

As you can see when I eventually select an area to clone I am getting stuff "all over the place", vertical lines (which I guess is the edge of the picture (I get the same problem with a vertical line with selection tools). Only by luck the cross is shown where I am trying to clone from, although I have a brush size its changing/"doing a lot more" than the original clone selection. 

post-53402-0-18416000-1491390477_thumb.png