You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm trying to get to a group of .icm color profiles I downloaded for my epson printer from a paper company I hope to deal with. I installed them by putting them in the ColorSync folder on my mac and they appear as expected in PS, but they do not show up in AF. Do I need to add them to some folder unique to AF? If not, what do I need to do to get at them? I see an "import icc profile" option under the file menu, but that will not work with an .icm file. They do appear in the soft proof adjustment layer.

Thanks

In your print dialog box, click on the double headed arrow for scaling and artboards and click on color matching from the drop down menu. Then click on color sync, not Epson color controls, your profiles should be there.

• 3 months later...

Hi shammerl & welcome to the forums!

Are you also using a Mac? If so, in the print dialog there should be a button marked "Show Details" like the one shown in this Apple document (that page is for Sierra but a similar button can be found on earlier OS versions). Click it & you should get access to a window similar to this one with the advanced printer options.

Different printers organize the various options differently, so you may have to choose different categories from the popup to find the one for color settings -- it won't necessarily be in the scaling and artboards section. For example, for an old Cannon printer I have, there is a "Color Matching" category with two choices, "ColorSync" & "Cannon Color Matching." Clicking on the "ColorSync" button reveals more choices.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem as @shammerl. I'm on Macos Sierra using a Canon MX922. I'm trying to follow the official tutorial on macos printing and since the tutorial uses a Canon printer as well I would expect the print dialog to be the same. But I don't have a Color Matching menu item. I'm on Affinity Photo 1.5.2 but I get the same printer dialog from, say, TextEdit. I've tried downloading the latest driver for Sierra from Canon ---- no help. I'm printing over the network. Perhaps I need to have the printer plugged directly into the computer USB? I can't imagine that would make a difference but it's the only thing I can think of ATM.

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 23.10.56 .jpg

@chetstone There seems to be a problem with your print driver, but I am not sure what it is. I downloaded the MX920 series (PDF) User Manual (Mac) from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-series-inkjet/mx922?tab=manuals#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25 & according to page 53 of its MX920ser_Printing_EN.pdf manual one of the available print dialog options is "Color Matching," which allows you to "Select the color correction method." Also mentioned on that manual page but missing from your screenshot are options for "Color Options," Borderless Printing," & "Margin."

This Canon manual is dated 12/18/15 & does not mention any Mac OS version by name later than 10.7, which may mean some of its contents are out of date, but for comparison, I am also running Sierra & for my old (& no longer even fully supported) Canon MP620 this is what I get in the popup:

59995d45b74d2_printdialog.png.a872eaddaafc62e4c123fc36a56629d1.png

The only thing I can suggest is to contact Canon & see if they can offer any help.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

52 minutes ago, chetstone said:

Connecting with USB fixes the problem.

Glad to hear that but I am a bit surprised the printer needed to be connected via USB for the missing color option to appear. For my old MP620, switching to its wireless network printer setting does not eliminate any of the options shown in my screenshot. I wonder if switching your printer back to a network connection would now include the other options.

In my experience, the Canon printer software can be finicky that way, sometimes needing a direct connection to enable things that can't be enabled otherwise.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 months later...

AirPrint is a Wi-Fi based Apple technology that does not require printer-specific drivers for a wireless printer connection but does require either a printer that supports it or connecting the printer directly to an intermediary host that does.

Judging from the list of models that support AirPrint on the Apple page, it appears that none of the Epson SC series printers do.

Affinity Photo