You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

Is there a good reason that I might not see but someone else could make sense out of on why the stops for the gradient handlers are not highlighted equally in the gradient dialog and the gradient tool applied to an object?

In the pic I attach, it's easy to know which is which, but when the gradient is more complex and has similar colours, it's quite hard to know which stop is which in the gradient dialog, so I have to trial error until I find it. As you can see, in the canvas, the green stop is selected, while in the dialog is always the leftmost one, the red in this case, to be highlighted. 

Wouldn't it make sense that, if I have a stop selected in my object gradient, it would show as such in the dialog window where I'm to make colour changes?

Thanks.

post-11695-0-11405800-1489009231_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't it make sense that, if I have a stop selected in my object gradient, it would show as such in the dialog window where I'm to make colour changes?

But consider what size that window would have to be to be usable with really complex gradients with a lot of stops.

Also, don't overlook that you can make changes directly in the workspace using the Fill Tool (AD) or Gradient Tool (AP), & do so at any zoom level needed to achieve very complex, fine-grained gradient effects.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi.

(If I understand your question right)

You don't have to use the gradient dialog.

When you have the fill tool selected (G) you can double-click in the colour swatch (the colour circle).

Then you can insert stops on the gradient (double-click) and change the colour in the colour dialog.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

But consider what size that window would have to be to be usable with really complex gradients with a lot of stops.

Also, don't overlook that you can make changes directly in the workspace using the Fill Tool (AD) or Gradient Tool (AP), & do so at any zoom level needed to achieve very complex, fine-grained gradient effects.

All of that is true, of course, but I think Isabel was pointing out the mismatch between the green stop being highlighted on the object in her screenshot and the orange stop being highlighted in the dialog window.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All of that is true, of course, but I think Isabel was pointing out the mismatch between the green stop being highlighted on the object in her screenshot and the orange stop being highlighted in the dialog window.

I understand that. But there isn't much practical value in wasting CPU cycles to make them match because you can't use both simultaneously to set or change gradient colors or stops. In fact, unless the gradient is a very simple one, I would rarely if ever use anything besides the gradient tool in the workspace to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...

So if I want to modify, copy, duplicate the colour of this very one stop highlighted in the fill tool in this gradient I have in the canvas, ( please see attachment), wouldn't it be worth having it consistently highlighted in the dialog for me to easily copy its colour, duplicate, change its opacity, delete and so on?

I of course can find my way as things are right now, sometimes really in a cumbersome way, like counting stops to see which one coincides in the line, or I see myself often simply doing trial error, until I find it, but I'd rather have them as requested, for the sake of consistency and ease of use. 

And if things get too cluttered there as you indeed pointed out, one could always make a zoom in the gradient stop line or similar. If all this is too much, why not making the options in the dialog available somehow in the canvas gradient tool.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 18.05.31.png