You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to install Neat Image as a plugin for AF

Hi.

I'm not a MAC user, but I do have AP and NeatImage version 8.1.2.  I assume you have the Photoshop plugin version of Neat?

In which case, under Windows you simply install NeatImage (to its default location, or elsewhere if you wish) and when you are asked to select the plugin folder you should be able to choose whichever one(s) you have dsignated in AP (via Preferences>Photoshop Plugins).  I would guess installation under OSX should be the same?

Sorry that's a little bit vague but essentially, if you are used to installing/have previously installed any plugins, the procedure is the same for NeatImage as for any other plugin.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hello Fivel.

So are you saying that NeatImage 8 does not work as a plugin in Photoshop Elements?  Have you tested it in AP?  When, in AP, you go to Preferences>Photoshop Plugins, do you see NeatImage listed?  If so, it's likely to be listed as "Unknown", so have you also ticked the box in that preferences screen to "Allow "Unknown" Plugins to be used"?

Also, the support forums for NeatImage http://www.neatimage.net/forum/index.php are very useful for directly contacting the developers.  I know Neat is supposed to work in Photoshop Elements so it might be worth your while to post there if you cannot get the plugin to work properly.

Jeff

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi Fivel,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Neat Image 8 is a fully supported plugin in Affinity Photo. To install it just run the Neat Image 8 installer. It should detect Affinity Photo automatically and install all needed files for you.

If you don't want to install it again and instead use your existing installation:

- go to Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section, 

- in the Plugin Search Folders area on the right press the Add button

- browse to the folder where you have the .plugin file installed - in your case it may be the plugins folder of Adobe Photoshop Elements

- then in the Plugin Support Folders area on the right (bottom), press the Authorise Global button and again Authorise in the next dialog that will open

- check Allow "Unknown" Plugins to be used on the bottom left of the main Photoshop Plugins preferences dialog

- restart Affinity

The plugin should appear in the Filters menu after the restart.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

- then in the Plugin Support Folders area on the right (bottom), press the Authorise Global button and again Authorise in the next dialog that will open

I have been trying to install Neat Image. I can do everything you suggest except that I cannot see any Authorise Global button anywhere. The target directory appears in the list after restarting, but no plugin in the list below. I have authorised Unknown plug-ins.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John, I think MEB's instruction are for MAC because I don't see those Authorise buttons either, on Windows.  (Certainly the OP was asking about NeatImage on a MAC).

One question about your installation, since you say you have listed the correct folder but NeatImage does not appear: you are running the 64 bit version of Neat, aren't you?

Jeff

• Staff

Yes, the instructions above are for the Mac version only. The Authorise Global button allows the plugin to access other folders/files it may need to work (config files etc) since Affinity Photo is a sandboxed app.

As Jeff pointed out Affinity Photo only supports 64bit plugins. Please check that's the version you are setting up.

I uninstalled Neat Image and downloaded the Neat Image photoshop plugin 64-bit demo version and re-installed.  The NI setup did not offer to install into Affinity. However, I pointed AP to the right directory, and it now works.

I am keen to try Neat Image as it seems to offer a lot of flexibility in cleaning up images from scanned slides.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...

I uninstalled Neat Image and downloaded the Neat Image photoshop plugin 64-bit demo version and re-installed.  The NI setup did not offer to install into Affinity. However, I pointed AP to the right directory, and it now works.

I am keen to try Neat Image as it seems to offer a lot of flexibility in cleaning up images from scanned slides.

John

John, you say you pointed AP to the right directory. Can you tell me what that directory is?

Thanks

Actually, I'm having the same problem with NeatImage and NIK:

Under the Filters menu>Plugins>NeatImage> Reduce Noise v8, as it should be, but "Reduce Noise v8" is pale and doesn't work.

I have the same problem with NIK plugins; it gets right to the end and shows all the filters but they're all pale and don't work.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled NIK and NI with the same result. By the way, I installed these one at a time, not both together. When the first one didn't work I started over with the other one.

I'm using a Dell desktop with an i7 cpu and 16Gb of RAM and Windows 10. Everything seems to work pretty well except for installing the plugins. Actually, when I first installed the AP trial I installed NIK and it worked but I somehow screwed it up trying to get other plugins to work and so I had to take them all out and start over. The fact is, getting plugins to work is the only problem I've had; I've been trying to get them to work on this machine for several days with no luck.

IF IT MATTERS... I have Photoshop CS2 and PSElements 9 installed and they're both 32-bit programs (as far as I know) but I have both the 32 and 64-bit versions of NeatImage.

• Staff

Hi ncJohn,

If the filters appear in the menu they are correctly installed. Regarding being greyed out, do you have a Pixel layer selected? You can identify the layer type looking at the label between parentheses after the layer's name in the Layer panel. If the layer is identified as an image layer type right-click on it and select Rasterise....

Are you working in CMYK or LAB mode (menu Document ▸ Colour format)? If so change to RGB. Most filters don't work with theses modes.

• 1 year later...

Just an update on the installation procedure for Neat Image 8.

The installer automatically detects Affinity Photo as well as Affinity Photo beta. However, the path where the plugin for the beta is installed is wrong:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Plugins

It should be:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Plugins

Just move the NeatImage8.8bf file into that folder and it will work.

Hope this helps,

Jens