You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is the future of Affinity and Serif a sound one?

These folks complaining about bad experiences with Affinity Photo have me nervous, as do the things I've read about the death of the Plus product line, which apparently was before my time. I don't want to put all of my chickens in this basket if they may eventually break, but today I love this product!

From my perspective, I am a photographer who has just found the perfect solution to my workflow problems. With Affinity Photo, I do the things I did in Photoshop in half the time and my finished product is gorgeous. I'll say it again: I absolutely love this product. I seldom use Illustrator much these days, but I would gladly buy Designer just to support this company.

Please tell me the future of this product is a safe one, and if it is not certain, please tell me how we can make it so.

No product on earth is "safe" .  :)  I've had a collection of tools that have seen their closing or company's bankruptcy (Deep Paint 3D , XSI Foundation, etc, etc) . And they costed me tons of money, unlike this non significant cost.  It isn't like you are risking anything to be even considering, in money terms (although it depends on the country you live in) , I'm guessing you are fearing it for the time and effort investment. In that case, is neither huge risk, as most tools are very similar (indeed, Affinity's have a very similar usage philosophy to Adobe suite, PS specially. And a lot of tools have gone that route. )

I'd say you shouldn't worry that much.  What people don't get is that software entire lines/suites have ceased production in every company, for very similar reasons, usually as technology advances new code base is needed, etc. In this case, is a more professional line which is replacing a useful but more amateur one. I have been a user of Serif's products, to an extent (never were my core tools), and even considering the switch, they still are providing you with very cheap tools, just more professional. 

Also, don't be afraid of having to switch at some point of main software. You eventually change your PC or Mac due to new needs, and there's no drama.  Besides, what serves you now for your actual needs : retouching and editing  photos can serve for a very, very long time, if it serves you right now. You, in theory, could keep that machine with the same OS, non updating -so I have some family machines- even if MS or Apple support in updates would have ceased (ie: no more updates now for Windows Vista, old versions of iOS, etc), even disconnected from inet, if viruses would concern you, and have that machine functioning for many years, serving exactly for that, for photo retouch (and if it'd break, I've seen how there's always a chance to purchase later on refurbished/second hand PCs that work just fine, and give that software even a bunch of years more of usage.). 

But IMO, you won't do that, even if you plan for it... As most of us, will probably update at some point the machine, the OS, and/if when needed, the Affinity's version, or if it happens that you end up seeing a new suite somewhere else that cuts it better for you, then you will switch. My advice: If something (ie, Affinity's tools) serves you just fine now, keep using it and don't worry so much. What only matters is what you produce with it, with whatever the software application. 

I know my opinion might sound a bit extreme, but am very convinced of the above explained...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Yup, Deep Paint 2D and 3D... the 2D was given free later on... Once there wasn't the company there anymore... I had purchased the 3D version. (funnily, I'd be very uncomfortable painting with it today, in comparison to just doing it with Blender). It was around 1200 euros (expensive shipment for my country), if i recall it right, as was too long ago...

I learnt to be ready to switch fully my main application in those times...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I used many of Serif's products over more years than I care to remember but I don't feel overly concerned that they're no longer being supported - they still do what they've always done so I'll carry on with them until my needs change.  If an early version of AP is working for you then that's great - things can only get better!

<edit>

I contacted Serif a week or so back about recovering some old licenses so that I could reinstall things on my new PC - the support I received was excellent!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Worth remembering that the Plus line went on for a couple of decades up to about version 18 (X8), give or take (X9 for PagePlus, and and the occasional version number jump/skip to keep the whole suite in line), and the change to Affinity was a planned one, not because the company failed or sold out to a competitor who squashed the product or pillaged some of its features.

Serif intentionally decided to restart from the ground up rather than continuing to add features to an old development base, so they could have a better base software design/workflow and improved implementation more in line with modern hardware and operating systems, and (as SrPx said) attractive to professional users as well as amateurs. (While remaining inexpensive and even more usable so as to still be attractive to amateurs like myself.)

As far as I can see, this has re-invigorated the user base, and the future looks bright!

My personal opinions, worth what you paid for them, no refunds, no connection with Serif (except as a customer), etc, etc.

Worth remembering that the Plus line went on for a couple of decades up to about version 18 (X8), give or take (X9 for PagePlus, and and the occasional version number jump/skip to keep the whole suite in line), and the change to Affinity was a planned one, not because the company failed or sold out to a competitor who squashed the product or pillaged some of its features.

Thanks. That does make me optimistic.

The first release of PagePlus was in 1991, so it was developed for 25 years after its initial release.

Seriously, if you want to be extra careful, keep a backup in eps format. You can open an eps file in a ny number of applications.

No need for that either. Affinity isn't connected to the cloud so it will not just stop working. You will still have the working product even if the company cease to exists in an instant (fingers crossed it will not happen ;)) and you will be able to export your work to more popular format. Unless of course Affinity will not become most popular format and software by then - to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if that would happen. I mean look what Adobe is doing - cloud, cloud, cloud. Not listening to customers - people are still with them because they have no courage to switch, thinking that work cant be done on other software. I dont like leash on my neck - even virtual. And thats why I appreciate and support Affinity so much. Even name is cooler - Affinity. Versus "CC". :D Future is bright. Cant wait for 1.6 to see what devs has been cooking ;)