You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I am looking for topics on Parallel Projections. What I was hoping to find was a method of drawing on axis. Example: with the isometric grid on, select the left side and draw a circle. Because you are in isometric mode your circle shows as an ellipse. 

I have been able to find the topic in Help, but that didn't "help".

Thanks in advance.

post-1546-0-02882300-1489008170_thumb.jpg

Thank you. Yes, am I familiar with the videos and the concepts. I have been a technical illustrator for 33 years. :-)

It's just the topic of parallel projection in the Help which wasn't really useful and didn't know if it led to some special functionality that I wasn't seeing.

As stated, I was hoping to find something on actually drawing "on axis". Draw a square on axis and it shows as skewed. Draw a circle and it shows as an ellipse. The original illustration software from Serif did this (before the days of Affinity).

Isodraw does this perfectly. It has much more functionality for the tech ill folks, and I am not expecting that from Affinity. Just the ability to draw on axis.

You can start at about the one minute mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4vH8E8YhNE

Another option would be to have scripting take care of the conversion of objects. I have done this for Illustrator and Coreldraw.

https://vimeo.com/208498149

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

As stated, I was hoping to find something on actually drawing "on axis". Draw a square on axis and it shows as skewed. Draw a circle and it shows as an ellipse. The original illustration software from Serif did this (before the days of Affinity).

Affinity doesn't have an automatic feature to do this just yet. There's a thread here that explains how to do it manually - hopefully we'll add better support in the future.