You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Superimpose Affinity Designer Asset onto an image in Affinity Photo

Could someone please walk me through the steps required to insert an image I've created and saved as an Asset in AD 1.5, that I know want to insert in a photographic image I have in AP?

I'm early in the learning process and still shaky on some of the most basic of operations.

For example, I am unsure of the best/proper way to combine two separate documents (in this case, one in AD containing the Asset with the photographic image I referred to in AP) in order to lay the one on top on the other. Would this require me to export the AD Asset as a slice, then import into AP? I really am lacking in knowledge here, apologizing in advance for the elementary nature of the question.

I'm working on a new MacBook Pro with AD 1.5 and just-purchased AP software.

Thanks all!

-Christo

You don't have to export anything if you have both apps. On the File menu there is an "Edit in Photo..." or "Edit in Designer... " item that if selected will automatically open the document in its current state in the other app. Using that, you can freely switch between the apps & do whatever one offers that other does not. It is very seamless, almost like switching between Personas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Follow-up question R C-R,

When in ADesigner under File options, the 'Edit in Photo' function is grayed out/deactivated. Possible reasons for this?

In APhoto in File options, I was able to use the 'Edit in Designer' without any problem. Is there a preference/option box somewhere in AD that needs to be ticked?

Thanks for any help,

-Christo

Do you have the latest version of Affinity Photo installed? It should be version 1.5.1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7