You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have created a design in AD saved it and exported it as a png, so far so good. I then need to open the exported file in Acrorip to print direct to a garment. This is where my problem starts because red colours are turned purple and browns yellowish. Does anyone know why this could be? Any advice will be welcomed.

• Staff

Hi pvprint,

Welcome to the forums.

This will more than likely be down to the colour profiles used, do you know which profile you selected to use in Designer? As this would also be used when exporting, unless a different one is selected.

• Staff

Hey pvprint, the issue is likely that you were trying to export to PNG - it's not intended for CMYK output and only supports the RGB colour model. If you were to open the exported PNG file in Photo, you'd see it has been converted to RGB/8 with an sRGB profile.

Try exporting as a TIFF or PDF (if it's supported by Acrorip). If you export as a TIFF, just remember to choose "TIFF CMYK" under Preset on the Export dialog. As you've discovered, you can also export to JPEG, which would work fine (TIFF just offers lossless compression).

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Weird this tech business.

It is much weirder than you might think. For example, if you are reading this on a flat panel or old style CRT display, you might think this text is displayed in some shade of cyan. But that is just an illusion because these displays can really only generate three colors of light (red, green, & blue). The little light producing elements are just packed so closely together that we are (usually) fooled into thinking they can display the other colors.

On the other hand, prints don't generate any light at all (unless you use fluorescent inks). They just reflect some of the light falls on them, whatever the inks do not absorb. So the colors seen on a print will depend on the color of the inks used, how they react with the substrate (paper, cloth, etc.) and on the color (& spectral makeup & intensity) of the light illuminating it.

If you also consider in all the physiological & psychological factors affecting the perception of color, it gets even weirder.

Technology can obscure some of this weirdness, but it does not eliminate it. That's why we have to take into account things like color profiles, file formats, rendering methods, & so on to get the best results.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You should follow James Ritson's above advice, since the PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image format doesn't support the CMYK color space for printing ...

PNG supports palette-based images (with palettes of 24-bit RGB or 32-bit RGBA colors), grayscale images (with or without alpha channel), and full-color non-palette-based RGB[A] images (with or without alpha channel). PNG was designed for transferring images on the Internet, not for professional-quality print graphics, and therefore does not support non-RGB color spaces such as CMYK.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with affinity designer and acrorip.  As you can see from the pictures the colour that affinity and acrorip shows is not the same as the print on the t-shirt.  I am working in cmyk 8 with u.s. web coated (swop) v2 colour profile.  I have exported as a jpeg because acrorip doesn't like .tiff or off files. I also managed to get the same colour profile on acrorip.  Please help.

20180924_134913.jpg

20180924_134839.jpg

20180924_134855.jpg