You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas resize colour fill

When enlarging the canvas it would be nice to be able to specify the colour fill for area that appears around the image.

One reason is that I use this to add colour borders to images and it would be handy if I could say 'make the border white' or grey, or black, etc.

Thanks!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hi dmstracker,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no way to select a colur for the background as you discovered but you can use a rectangle shape with the fill colour you want to fill the background if you are using Affinity Designer or a Fill layer if you are using Affinity Photo (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer).

For goodness sake, Affinity staff.  Just bite the bullet and give us a quick way of selecting whatever we like and stroking it as in PS.

I do a lot of 1400px x 1050px images for club projection and have set up a macro for a two-tone 5px black'n'white border.  But what a faff!  

Please! ;)

• 5 months later...

This is a feature that was available in PhotoPlus so why the backward step in AP, like TrevorW I use it for club images, In my case it is prints where I want a 50px white border, 3px coloured pin-line and another 50px white border. In PP I could do that very quickly by increasing the canvas size three times by 100px, 6px and 100px respectively with the colour set to white for the first and last resizes and to a colour selected from the image for the second resize, which takes about a minute to do. I can't find a simple way to do this in AP so have to resort to reopening the image in PP. Come on Affinity, this should be simple and easy to accommodate, please