You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Link instead of embedding image

Linking an image instead of embedding it, would be useful if you're working on different documents with the same file, i.e. a logo in a design phase. So if you change that logo it will be respected in every file it is linked.

Besides that it doesn't increase your Designer file, that could be crucial if you're working with large files and make a lot of versions / copies of your Designer file.

I think it's like the new version of the Photoshop Smartobjects (CC version).

Would be great if this makes sense to you too and isn't too hard to implement. Thanks!

• Staff

It will come soon.  No ETA as yet.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 months later...

+1 for linking files. I frequently place an image in multiple files, and the files are all large because they each embed the image. Also, if the image changes, it has to be manually replaced in each file that contains it--quite a bit of work, and more potential error.

• 2 months later...

Linked files (external graphics) are often used in Adobe Illustrator CMYK documents.  Affinity Designer 1.3.2 does not support Linked files, so when you open an *.ai file that has a linked file, that linked file will be EMBEDDED in Affinity Designer.  There are real world advantages to having external graphics though, so I hope AD will add Linked files soon.

+1 for linking files. This also makes especially sense for files which are masked by vector elements and which use adjustment layers.

It would be even better to create blank image placeholders which can be filled automatically by drag&drop of multiple files. 

Reason: When you drop an image file it is inserted at that position at its maximum size and I have to resize it.

When I first create some image placeholder, I can drag&drop the images and they will be resized automatically to fit the placeholder.

One has to think that linking images option will be in the initial Designer issue and rolled to the other progammes at the same time, any chance of this functionality in a Designer beta before the first Publisher beta? Purely for test purposes you understand... :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, this is definitely needed. I have recently decided to take the plunge and forced myself to work exclusively with Designer and Photo. Until that point I thought that both apps offered pretty good functionality. But since I started using them exclusively I find myself wanting to switch back to Adobe CS because there are so many basic features missing from Affinity apps.

I believe in this suite of apps and so I will continue using it as I believe that many of these features are close by. I really do hope that the company will prioritise implementing what many consider essentials over the new and merely interesting. At the same time I appreciate that this suit is being developed as a blank slate trying not to imitate or rely on old techniques. I'm just a little impatient ;-)

cheers,

-tomek

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for linking external files. In my experience, this is pretty important for professional workflow. Links and symbols are the only two things stopping me from dropping Illustrator.

Keep up the great work!

• 2 months later...

Please add the linking feature very soon. I've been a Adobe user for 25 years and I now use Affinity Photo and Designer as my primary graphics tools. The one big thing that is killing my workflow is the lack of linking external files.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

I am in the process of rebuilding the most recent marketing documents (Indesign) for a client in Affinity Designer. The designs heavily rely on linking, especially for the logo and images that are used in multiple instances.

While I could live just fine with new _workflows_ involving embedded files, I will have a serious problem with file _sizes_. This is partly because I sync with a cloud service and have limited bandwidth. So instead of maybe one megabyte for a design file, I suddenly end up with 30 or 40 MB. This makes a huge difference with lots of designs.

So I would love to see linking implemented. And of course publisher :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1

Being quite impressed by Affinity Designer Beta for Windows, I didn't want to believe this feature has been requested and not implemented since 2014. If you want to be a serious contender, this is a must-have feature I constantly use it in InDesign, Illustrator AND Photoshop as well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...