You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flattened, Selected, then Inverted...but can't get rid of background

Dudes/Dudettes, a little help please...

Missing something obvious and simple again, I'm sure - and I've sincerely tried to research the forums myself, doing my own leg-work but am just stuck on this one. This time I brought along some visual aides.

Working on a MacBook Pro with AD 1.5, all I am trying to do is remove the white background behind this black tote back (see images below).

After surveying the forums, I understood that in order to accomplish this I needed to do the following (please point out my error):

1) add new Pixel layer over image

2) outline the image wanting to kept using Selection tools (I used the Brush selection tool)...pardon the crudely traced selection line, I'm just practicing 

3) Invert the Pixel selection (I used the Ctrl+Shift+I keyboard shortcut)...

**this is where I'm stuck - a post in the forum says to now 'paint in the selected area'. Would I not used the In-Fill tool by selecting a color then clicking on the selected area? This is what I tried, yet was unable to paint-in the selection. Feel like a major dork here guys - what am I missing?

-Thanks as always AD Fam, --Christo

post-49603-0-80261300-1488677774_thumb.png

post-49603-0-66510400-1488677797_thumb.png

post-49603-0-64907600-1488677818_thumb.png

post-49603-0-36305700-1488677837_thumb.png

Select the logo on the bag

Invert the selection (ctrl+shift+I)

Filters > Colors > Erase white paper

done

'Erase White Paper' usually works well for things like this in Affinity Photo, but Christo is using Affinity Designer (which doesn't include such filters). However, in either app you can do the following:

1. Select the layer in the Layers panel

2. Click on the 'Blend Ranges' gearwheel at the top of the panel

• The Blend Options dialog will pop up

3. Drag the right-hand end of the 'Source Layer Ranges' graph all the way down

• The white background will become transparent

• The rest of the image will become semi-transparent

4. Drag the left-hand end of the 'Source Layer Ranges' graph across to reintroduce the lost opacity into the main image
    • The lightest area in the image (the pale grey region) becomes completely opaque at an 'In' value of 75% or so

• You need to keep the 'In' value below 95% to avoid reintroducing white areas around the edges of the bag

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

...BTW, I've also recently purchased AP but have not messed with it yet - the plan was to get a good grip on Designer first then tackle Photo. However, the situation mentioned above sounds like it may be the ideal starting point for my foray into AP.

Thanks again guys - hope you know how much I appreciate your guidance.

-Christo