You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, eobet said:

People shouldn't have to search online forums to find hidden features

Searching the forums isn't necessary. One could look in the program's built-in Help, search for Resize, and find the information there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think that applications should be as intuitive as it is possible. So for such basic things consulting build-in help shouldn't be needed. Otherwise Affinity software will be famous of not being usable without studying documentation. Is this the way Serif wants to go? I think that being second Corel or Adobe is not good idea. Corel was hegemonic leader on this market and how now uses it? Adobe is present king but people are looking for good alternative. So don't behave as monopolist even not achieving such position yet. Users will use Affinity apps if they will be user intuitive, friendly, and efficient. Period.

33 minutes ago, mathz said:

Where do I go wrong?

Sorry, we don’t know what you did exactly. There are many possibilities. One way is to use the Export Persona.

(Seems a good example for an app that is not user intuitive and not efficient.)

2 minutes ago, mathz said:

I tried to use expressions for field input in a batch job resizing images by 50%. Tried sizing expressions examples but it doesn't seem to work. Where do I go wrong?

It would help to know what you tried, but one that should work is setting the width to

w*.5

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/22/2019 at 4:50 PM, walt.farrell said:

Actually, I've been a programmer since about 1966 (52 years or so), across many languages and systems, on both small (personal) and very large (team/commercial) projects.

To use percentages for resizing, now, the user goes to the dimension box of choice and enters, for example, 50% (or, perhaps it's *50%). If the user's input were captured by the macro then that is a clear indication of what the user wants to do. Unfortunately, today the macro does not capture the user's input but instead it captures the result of the calculation, and that's the root issue with macros doing resizing in Affinity today.

Yes, it's odd that a crop tool can increase the size. But that's different, and doesn't justify calling % a unit in the dialog we're talking about.

Photoshop kinda works in the same way, you have to choose the % option and then fill in the value of percentage. This is faster. Just fill in 50% e presto...

• 6 months later...

Hi.

I am a new user.  I trialled the Affinity Software product on my MacBook, and really found it easy to use.  I have just purchased the full product via Apple Store.

I acknowledge that you can resize photos by percentage by simply typing in, say, "50%" into the pixels values.  However, I did have to search online (in here) for the answer.  I too would favour a reduce by percentage option in the drop down list, if nothing else just to make it more clear to the newbie, like me, that this can be done.  

During the trial version I had been creating the photo I wanted using Affinity, saving the image and then opening it up on the basic Preview product (Mac answer to Windows Paint) to resize it, until I saw this post today.  

Somebody trialling the Affinity product might not release you can reduce the image size by percentage and that could be a deciding factor for them NOT to purchase the full product.

Great product and good price too! 👍

On 3/22/2019 at 10:28 PM, walt.farrell said:

Did you notice in the replies above that resizing by % is already available, and has been?

Unless you're wanting it for macro purposes (which still wouldn't work even with a pulldown such as was requested) it's just a cosmetic enhancement. The needed function is there and works.

I would argue it is more than cosmetic - I'd call it a user interface enhancement. For the new user, this feature is effectively hidden. There is nothing in context to indicate that you can type a percentage in the fields. You would either need to guess it is possible based on experience using this feature in another similar program with this ability, or take a trip to the help documentation or to the support forums. I would consider myself more of an experienced user and I had to look up how to do something that is immediately obvious in every other photo imaging program I have used. Good luck to those less technically inclined (and many of the professional photographers I know fall into this category). There are definitely times when breaking established paradigms are necessary for innovation, but I would argue this isn't one of them. To all those seemily arguing against having a percentage option in the drop down menu, what is wrong with having both options?

On 4/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, creamelectricart said:

this feature is effectively hidden

for users that usually don’t read manuals ;-) so a simple link to the help or a tool tip (or a help mode or a help persona or …) could be a solution, that could be realised in a few minutes.

40 minutes ago, Oval said:

for users that usually don’t read manuals ;-) so a simple link to the help or a tool tip (or a help mode or a help persona or …) could be a solution, that could be realised in a few minutes.

Plenty of users don't read (and arguably shouldn't have to read) manuals for what should be intuitive operations in common tasks. Which is my point. What the users have come to suggest here is a very easy way to make the program more intuitive, something which is already common to many other imaging programs across a broad range of platforms. Surely anything that makes a program more intuitive - i.e. not require reading of the manual for a common task - is an idea worth implementing and something that works towards improving the overall user experience?

2 hours ago, creamelectricart said:

something that works towards improving the overall user experience

Yep. Because Serif did not have enough time to correct bugs and to change this for years, so the easiest way is to read the Affinity Help.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:59 PM, Oval said:

Yep. Because Serif did not have enough time to correct bugs and to change this for years, so the easiest way is to read the Affinity Help.

Thanks, I pretty sure we all understand that and appreciate the help. But my understanding is that this forum in particular is for feature requests. Pointing people to the manual doesn't negate the validity of the feature request (though it does help people in the meantime that are missing the requested feature - as I said, thanks). Also I don't believe anybody is expecting any immediate action from Serif, but simply being dismissive of reasonable feature requests isn't really helpful, even if Serif is yet to take action.

1 minute ago, Oval said:

because stewart_whaley did not write that this existing feature is not enough

I didn't read any expectation of immediate resolution in his request? I'm pretty sure he just made a feature suggestion, which multiple people have since also requested. I understand, and I think like others understand that since this is not a bug, and rather a feature to be implemented, it might take some time.