You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I support that. I often find myself having to calculate half (or otherwise) of a pixel count.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Have you guys tried using percentages?

They seem to work for me  (Windows OS)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I had to Google for an answer to the question of how to scale items by percentages. Found it here: 

Briefly, in the Transform panel, you can enter an equation in either the W or H field, using this expression:

PERCENTAGE: *=X% (e.g., scale to 50%)

MULTIPLY: *=X.x (e.g., multiply by 1.2)

DIVISION: /=X (e.g., divide by 3)

The video's narrator also says you can use plus or minus, but doesn't demonstrate.

• Staff

Hi stewart_whaley, KennethHuey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Besides the notation pointed above by @KennethHuey *=50% (to scale to 50% for example) which implies replacing the existing field value, you can also use *50% immediately after the existing values to achieve the same result. For more information about the expressions you can use in the input fields please check Help ▸ Affinity Designer Help ▸ Workspace ▸ More ▸ Expressions for field input.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/10/2017 at 4:49 AM, Jacknumpty said:

You need % in the dropdown so that you can use % with macros.

I am completely agree, i've spent a lot of time to resize images consists both lanscape and portrait. I created 2 different macros to handle portrait and lanscape images differently and select one by one. You have to add a percentage setting to document resize. And please do not forget that this is not excel, or not another programming language; it is not nice to make a photographer write code to a box to resize an image. (*0.5 or /0.5 or *=50%  ????)

• 1 month later...

Simply having a % capability won't help much with macros. As we've learned, macros record the result (the final size) of the operation. You can't make a general macro, using resize, that will work for more than one output size. 

For a generalized macro, today, you need to use a different method than resize, such as an equations filter. 

Perhaps when Affinity improves macros they will make it possible to use resize for this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, PLMan said:

Any progress in adding % to resize units? Strange that such useful solution is not available despite that users were indicating such lack quite long ago.

Did you notice in the replies above that resizing by % is already available, and has been?

Unless you're wanting it for macro purposes (which still wouldn't work even with a pulldown such as was requested) it's just a cosmetic enhancement. The needed function is there and works.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, PLMan said:

they are not listed in "Units"

Percentage isn’t a unit of measurement.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

From technical point of view you are right. But from logical and workflow you are wrong. Percentage is listed between units in canvas/document size in most of professional apps. Units list is the best place to have them. This is logical for most if not all users, especially switching from other apps. Moreover having them there can solve macro problem.

1 hour ago, PLMan said:

Moreover having them there can solve macro problem.

No, it can't. Something more would be needed, as the current macro implementation saves the final computed size.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, PLMan said:

Still will help as there will be way to easy, logically enter resize values.

Respectfully, I'll disagree :)

It's just as easy to enter 50% in the dimension field (I would actually argue it's easier) as it is to enter 50 and then access the pulldown to select the (non-logical) Percent as a unit.

And just because other applications misuse "units" and include percentage there, does not mean that Affinity should also misuse it. (In my opinion.)

-- Walt
PC:

I think that you have no experience in programming. Present implementation is unusable in the context of macros. Macro engine will not be able to find when user wants macro engine to use % and when physical value (number of pixels for example). The only logical way of solving this problem is to inform application what user wants. And in such case adding percent to unit list is the easiest way and fastest to use and implement. Moreover such way is logical for users switching from other apps.

And if we want Affinity not to misuse terms then, for example, crop tool should be renamed to resize as it allows extend canvas size, not only crop it, right? Instead of being language purists we should focus on efficiency of app use.

1 hour ago, PLMan said:

I think that you have no experience in programming. Present implementation is unusable in the context of macros. Macro engine will not be able to find when user wants macro engine to use % and when physical value (number of pixels for example). The only logical way of solving this problem is to inform application what user wants. And in such case adding percent to unit list is the easiest way and fastest to use and implement. Moreover such way is logical for users switching from other apps.

Actually, I've been a programmer since about 1966 (52 years or so), across many languages and systems, on both small (personal) and very large (team/commercial) projects.

To use percentages for resizing, now, the user goes to the dimension box of choice and enters, for example, 50% (or, perhaps it's *50%). If the user's input were captured by the macro then that is a clear indication of what the user wants to do. Unfortunately, today the macro does not capture the user's input but instead it captures the result of the calculation, and that's the root issue with macros doing resizing in Affinity today.

And if we want Affinity not to misuse terms then, for example, crop tool should be renamed to resize as it allows extend canvas size, not only crop it, right? Instead of being language purists we should focus on efficiency of app use.

Yes, it's odd that a crop tool can increase the size. But that's different, and doesn't justify calling % a unit in the dialog we're talking about.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

To use percentages for resizing, now, the user goes to the dimension box of choice and enters, for example, 50% (or, perhaps it's *50%). If the user's input were captured by the macro then that is a clear indication of what the user wants to do

No, it is not. If initial value was, for example, 127 then macro will not know if user entering 300%, want macro to act as 300% or just as value 381. Of course we can limit usability the way that entering % will always act as % and force user to use additional calculator but why? Moreover such behaviour will make dialog to work inconsistently. In macro recording as forced % and not in macro recording as pocket calculator. Inconsistency is one of biggest UI programing errors.

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it's odd that a crop tool can increase the size. But that's different, and doesn't justify calling % a unit in the dialog we're talking about.

No, it is just example that argumentation about supremacy of Affinity over other app in the matter of misusing terms. Affinity apps are not mathematical nor physics apps so putting  % in the list of units will not destroy the world.

• 5 months later...

Replying here too, as I would also like an explicit percentage feature in the menu (and so does a lot of other people it seems, this is the fourth thread I've found on the same subject).

People shouldn't have to search online forums to find hidden features which should be made obvious through the interface.