You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Crew: musician figures

Kasper-V

I'm getting too grips with vectors at last. Casting round for inspiration, I decided to gently caricature some musical friends of mine, The Crew: a bunch of shanty-singing cut-throats, but nice folks for all that. Barry was the first one I did -- you can probably tell! -- and I found myself getting into more detail as I moved from one to the next. Now for a rest while I look for the next subject.

I'm obliged to Frankentoon's Viking for the inspiration: http://www.frankentoon.com/single-post/2016/08/08/The-Brave-Viking-Character-Design

post-32784-0-56980800-1488638648_thumb.png

post-32784-0-97757900-1488638648_thumb.png

post-32784-0-96421500-1488638647_thumb.png

post-32784-0-98839600-1488638649_thumb.png

post-32784-0-50007500-1488638650_thumb.png

post-32784-0-07768800-1488638651_thumb.png

post-32784-0-44841900-1488638649_thumb.png

Being both a guitarist and a pedant, I eventually decided it was too much trouble to pout frets on the fingerboards,  because i would HAVE to make the spacing absolutely correct (they get closer together as you go down the neck, in case you didn't know). I shall work out an easy way to do them in time for the next lot ... he says, confidently.

Being both a guitarist and a pedant, I eventually decided it was too much trouble to pout frets on the fingerboards,

That'll be "put", not "pout" (he says, pedantically). ;)

because i would HAVE to make the spacing absolutely correct (they get closer together as you go down the neck, in case you didn't know). I shall work out an easy way to do them in time for the next lot ... he says, confidently.

No need to fret! If you draw a pair of frets, group them, duplicate the group and move the duplicate so that the copy of the first fret is exactly on top of the original second fret, you can then type a percentage in the W or H control on the Transform tab to make the copy of the second fret closer by the required amount. Power duplicating will give you the geometric progression you're looking for, making new pairs successively closer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Great looking and fun character designs.    

Alfred, that's an interesting solution to the frets, so long as the object your working with has parallel geometry.  However, how would you solve the problem if you're working with non-parallel lines?   You could still do your scaling solution but the fret lines will eventually cross over the edges.   Is there a way to trim lines in Affinity?     

Cropping/masking should take care of any lines which stray beyond the boundaries that you've defined. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)