ostonica

Improved DPI scaling on Creator's edition (win 10) - not working with APh

The upcoming Creator's edition of Windows 10 has a new feature that greatly improves DPI scaling for High DPI tablets.

It's in the Compatibilty settings under Properties in the Context Menu for the application. The new setting is to override high DPI scaling behaviour and use System(enhanced) for DPI scaling. The other override options are to use Application or System for High DPI scaling. 

It works really well with Photoshop CS6 with the program opening full screen on my Surface Pro 4 and the menu text is much crisper now. 

But that setting does not work with the Affinity Photo. The application window opens really small and off the screen slightly. 

Using the setting System rather than System(enhanced), APh opens full screen, but the menu text is not nearly as crisp as it would be with System (Enhanced)

It would be great to see this fixed when the Creator's edition is officially launched.

My tests were with this week's release of Windows 10 build 15046  

Jim

Hi Ostonica,

Thanks for letting us know. I've reproduced the issue here and will get it passed on to development. I found that the dropdown menus were also quite broken as well.

MANY thanks for implementing this. I just checked 1.6.0.85 on my Surface Pro 4 and Affinity Photo now takes advantage of the  the setting in Windows 10 o override high DPI scaling behaviour and use System(enhanced) for DPI scaling.

For those who might not know how to use this setting 

Open the context menu on the shortcut to the program and open the properties of the shortcup

Under the Compatibility Tab, check the box to Override High DPI scaling behaviour

and change the Scaling performed by: to System (Enhanced)

I've not yet sent a lot of time with this, but I look forward to being able to use Affinity Photo on my Surface Pro 4. 

Now if you could just correct the problem with the Rectangular to Polar conversions..... :-) That should be much simpler to correct than this was

The previous post was premature :-( The scaling is working well with the System (Enhanced) setting, but the menus are not. 

The menus are working fine with the Scaling performed by System rather than System (Enhanced)

Does AFPH use GDI scaling? 

See https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/04/04/high-dpi-scaling-improvements-desktop-applications-windows-10-creators-update/

22 minutes ago, ostonica said:

Does AFPH use GDI scaling?

No, we are per-monitor DPI aware. You shouldn't need to change the DPI scaling on the application to "System (Enhanced)" as this will work against what the application is trying to do.

Many thanks for the clarification, Mark. 

AFPh still performs differently on my Surface Pro.4 There is no circle showing the size of the brush tool when I am using the Surface Pen. 

I thought this might be connected to the DPI scaling, but now that's working well with Using the System setting, there is still no brush size circle when I use the Pen. 

The circle does appear if I plug in a normal Mouse. 

Is this connected with DPI scaling issues?