You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black and White Images as Layer Mask

We need a way to use black and white images as a Layer Mask.  I am trying to use some grain/noise images as a matte, but my final image needs an alpha channel.  Currently, I have to use PS to convert my BW images to an image with an alpha channel to use.  The workflow isn't very convenient.  I have attached the type of image that I would like to use as a Layer Mask.  You can see that creating a selection from the image would be impossible. 

post-51342-0-24490200-1488560092_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Volden,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's working correctly for me. Where are you having issues? If you only have a single layer and convert it to a mask then you will see nothing because there's nothing for the mask to act on. You need to have other layers below it to see the effect of the mask. Even without other layers, if you ⌥ (option/alt) click the mask layer in the Layers panel you should be able to see it as a greyscale image.

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Volden,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

It's working correctly for me. Where are you having issues? If you only have a single layer and convert it to a mask then you will see nothing because there's nothing for the mask to act on. You need to have other layers below it to see the effect of the mask. Even without other layers, if you ⌥ (option/alt) click the mask layer in the Layers panel you should be able to see it as a greyscale image.

Thank you)
Well, I can`t do that anyway. So strange. 
Can I just copypaste black and white image into the mask layer?

• Staff

Hi Volden,

There may be some issue somewhere. What OS are you using Windows or Mac? I'm assuming you are using the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.6). Can you confirm it please?

Also, can you attach a sample afphoto file where the command fails to work correctly for us to check out?

On 10/27/2017 at 5:40 AM, omega-particle said:

Hello, is there a non-destructive way of achieving the same result?

I have a group with a bunch of layers that finally output a B&W image that I want to use as a mask, but I'd like to still be able to edit the contents of the group without having to re-rasterize the mask.

It would be nice if the layer stack in Affinity Photo could be expanded to accommodate such a workflow. Last time I checked it is easily possible in PhotoLine (the layer system is very flexible compared), while Photoshop can use smart objects as clipping masks (bit awkward, though). And of course this is one of the strengths of nodal editors such as Fusion, Nuke, Blender, and Natron.

Aren't smart objects on the roadmap?

I definately can`t understand the logic of image masks here. 
Export to PSD doesn`t work for some reasons, so I can`t even finish my work in PS. 
Now I`m exporting 40 layers one by one. This is not good, guys. Hole day today I spent on a deadline work for architecture studio and it is not even finished. 
Affinity seems useless for large progects yet. So sorry.

• Staff

Hi Volden,

Although i can also rasterise to mask on Windows, there's definitely issues with the file. I'm also not able to export correctly to PSD in some circunstances and as owner noted the file size is way too big. I'm passing this to the dev team and will get back to you soon.