You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More than one instance of AP & AD on Desktop?

Hello friends,

how can I open more than one instance of AP & AD?

I have two monitors and work on two different projects, am still young and multitasking capable ;)

Since I can use AP / AD only as an instance, I'm forced to edit the second project parallel under Adobe CC (I find Adobe's licensing policy horrible!) and wants to get away from all Adobe products!

Can you help me?

ChristAlix

You don't say if you are using the Mac or Windows versions but both are capable of using multiple document windows so that one instance of the app can be used to edit more than one document concurrently. This is much less demanding on system resources since there is no extra overhead needed for the second instance.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am using Windows OS.

Have here on the work a workstation with Xenon E7 processor, 128 GB RAM, Nvidia QUADRO M5000 etc ..., so the system resources are second for me. 

Is it happen to me more often that one of the programs crashed, and before I suddenly lose both projects in a program, the logical way, I separate them into two tasks!

PS:

Hi MEB,

with "On Windows just drag the document tabs (on top) to the middle of the work area do detach them." I have not quite understood! Can you show me?

ChristAlix

post-50527-0-51465300-1488547347_thumb.gif

• Staff

Hi ChristAlix,

Open two documents first, then drag their document tabs (above the work area and below the context toolbar) to the middle of the work area to detach them. You can then place the document windows wherever you want. Note that there's no arrange functions yet to split the document windows horizontally or vertically. You have to do so manually.

In your GIF you don't have any document open.

Hi MEB,

did you mean so (show GIF Ani)?

At first, I thought that all color settings and tools are applied globally to both images but thank God (thank you) it is assigned to each image individually  :o

Thanks

ChristAlix

post-50527-0-02886500-1488549969_thumb.gif

Have here on the work a workstation with Xenon E7 processor, 128 GB RAM, Nvidia QUADRO M5000 etc ..., so the system resources are second for me.

Not that many users have high end systems that powerful. One of the benefits of Affinity's one instance/multiple document window approach is users can do serious work even on modestly powered laptops, including stacking/overlapping windows when screen space is limited when that suits some workflow, & considerably lengthening run times before the battery needs recharging.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello R CR,

i'm your opinion! At home I use also a laptop. 

At home it is rather a hobby and if a program times crached then I can live with it. 

On the job it is a tool with which I earn my buns and the projects have a timed schedule and cost a lot of money and since stability is an important factor. 

A fast, stable and simple workflow is essential for me and I am not the only one with this statement! or???

The Affinity team has done so far unbelievable and I will continue with my ideas and suggestions to advance the further development! There is not yet reached the flagpole there are still a lot to do and a lot of air up!

In this sense,

greeting

ChristAlix