You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Moving Text objects

Hello
I have photos I add text to, the text tool comes up with the usual floating box, into which I write the text. Awesome. I write and format and style the text as needed, but can't find any way of "moving" the floating element, without resizing it.

There's no tooltip for moving -- I can resize the text float dimensions, but this causes me to need to resize the text object such as pulling the top left corner to the point I want to place it before moving the other corners, this causes wrapping and resizing issues it can be tricky to then "recapture" the previously set layout. 

Am I missing something obvious? I also can't find any online guidance  on this topic (hence this post!)

If you move your cursor just outside the lines of the selected text box (Artistic or Frame text), you should see it change to the 4-way arrow move cursor that allows you to click and drag the text around. Be precise, there are other mouse cursor options available depending on where your cursor is located in relation to the box nodes, or move too far away from the line and you are ready to add a new text box.

post-662-0-17851300-1488501536_thumb.png

Alternatively, you can change to the Move tool and drag the text around like any other object.

post-662-0-68544700-1488501569_thumb.png

Thanks for the feedback, I found the move tool was just what I needed but I had been so used to having everything within the scope of the current tool (text) I hadn't actually considered "other" tools to do what needed to be done. So amateur!

Anyhow, I'm learning as I go. thanks for the info!

Just in case it is not clear, as obtusity said, you do not have to change tools to move the text, but you do have to move the mouse pointer to near the edge of the text box, where it will automatically change to one of several different shapes to indicate that, depending on where it is relative to the edges & corners of the text box, you can move, rotate, resize, or skew the text box with a click & drag.

This is just like the options the Move tool offers, but it avoids the need to change tools. It also avoids having to tap the escape key to prevent the keyboard shortcut for selecting the Move tool (by default the V key) from being entered as text, which can be very annoying if you forget to do that & wonder how a V character got inserted into the text!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Is there a tutorial on all the new horizontal red and green (and maybe blue) lines that appear in Text boxes now, and what they mean? Or a video? Where exactly is the Move Tool supposed to appear? I just spent twenty minutes circling around and around the text, and lots of different icons appeared, but no old-fashioned four-pointed Move star.

And how come you can't Bold text anymore? You used to be able to Bold any text at all in PP, right?

The green vertical lines are for horizontal alignment and the red horizontal lines are for vertical alignment. The Move cursor seems to appear when you approach the outside edge of a selected layer/object.

Emboldening "any text at all" in PagePlus (PP) or PhotoPlus (PhP) is achieved by applying a faux bold style if there is no bold font available in the selected typeface. The result is often less than satisfactory, and the Affinity apps don't do this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)