You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lock guides

Good afternoon from Paris (France)

Since I use Affinity Designer I am regularly confronted to problem with guides.

Often when I move an object or when I resize it, I often capture the closest guide.

In the new release of Inkscape, they have added a new feature where you can lock the guide so that you can't then modify them by mistake.

May I suggest news evolutions about guides ?

1. The possibility to lock them
  2. On mouse over the possibility od displaying a tooltip with the value and then inside the UI we should find a lock pictogram to active it and retrieve this feature inside the guide's pop-up aswell as a checkbox like "Lock guides".
  3. The ability to export guides as a layer.

What do you think about that ?

Warm regards.

Stéfan

Stéfan,

I agree with your suggestion that we should be able to lock guides. I believe that the developers know that the Guides in Designer need to be improved and I think that they are planning on adding some improvements in a future release. There are many threads about Guides. Here are few but there are more if you search.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22939-locking-guides/?p=177817

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35692-designer-guides-improvements/?hl=guides

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33872-grids-and-guides-960-and-1200/?hl=guides

Hokusai

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Yet another bump. Too many accidental budges and the grids aren't flexible enough to use those instead (say I want a 12 column grid inside of the margins of a page, can't do it unless I use very specific grids which don't always fit the design).

I'm really liking the tool but find so many missing things that should just simply be integrated already (not to mention finding so many "we're adding this" back from 2015 and still no news of said features. :(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/8/2017 at 6:06 PM, JeffrySG said:

Just another vote for the option to lock guides. These small important features are the difference between a production ready application and a casual fun application.

While I agree with what you said, Affinity is definitely a production ready application. But just like any other app, it has its flaws. Hopefully they will add the lock guides option soon :)

• Staff

Guide locking, coming in 1.7.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB