You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Team,

is there any way to update the Lensfun Library which is used for lenscorrection in the AP Develop Persona?

I have a DJI Phantom 4 Professional Drone and would love to be able to do the complete development and creative process in Affinity Photo.

Apparently the Lensfun Library is used and it seems to be an older version: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35755-lens-correction-profiles-lcp-in-ap/?p=179148

I tried using the python script provided by the library to convert an Adobe LCP file into the lensfun xml but values are different:

<lens>
        <maker>DJI</maker>
        <model>INSPIRE 1 FC350</model>
        <model lang="en">fixed lens</model>
        <model lang="de">festes Objektiv</model>
        <mount>compactCamera3855776423400872093</mount>
        <cropfactor>5.6</cropfactor>
        <calibration>
            <distortion focal="20.7" k1="-0.132569" k2="0.101281" k3="-0.018193" model="acm" />
        </calibration>
    </lens>

Note the k1, k2 and k3 values as in the library it lloks like this:

<lens>
        <maker>DJI</maker>
        <model>Phantom Vision FC200 & compatibles</model>
        <model lang="en">fixed lens</model>
        <model lang="de">festes Objektiv</model>
        <mount>dijPhantomVisionFC200</mount>
        <cropfactor>6</cropfactor>
        <type>equisolid</type>
        <aspect-ratio>4:3</aspect-ratio>
        <calibration>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="5" a="0.02707" b="-0.10021" c="-0.09787" />
            <tca model="poly3" focal="5" vr="1.0002" vb="1.0007" />
        </calibration>
    </lens>

Here there are values for a,b and c.

Anybody around here who could help me get the develop persona in Affinity Photo to apply lens correction for my Pahntom 4 Pro DNGs?

Help is highly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Me too. I've a Sony setup and would be happy to contribute hours to get a better Chromatic Aberration result, at least.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my Sony RX100V and a bunch of other lenses for my A7R2. I believe Affinity uses lensfun, whose list of supported lenses/fixed-lens cameras is here : http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/lenslist/. It generally has poor Sony coverage.

I'd dearly love to see Affinity support my kit, but until then I'm using Lightroom as a front-end and then doing a pass-through to Affinity for the serious stuff.

Searching the forum for lensfun gives a number of other posts on this topic, for example https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37319-automatic-lens-correction-in-affinity-photo-15/?p=184852

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

I believe the most actual lensfun project is nowadays instead hosted on GitHub and their DB Sony compact entry there at least has Sony RX100V (DSC-RX100M5) and DSC-RX10M2 entries (though a DSC-RX10M3 entry is actually missing). - An entry for the Sony A7R2 has been adeed there too under the mil-sony.xml definitions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I believe the most actual lensfun project is nowadays instead hosted on GitHub and their DB Sony compact entry there at least has Sony RX100V (DSC-RX100M5) and DSC-RX10M2 entries (though a DSC-RX10M3 entry is actually missing). - An entry for the Sony A7R2 has been adeed there too under the mil-sony.xml definitions.

That's most excellent news, v_kyr. Thanks! (Google seems to be lagging on this)

...though looking at the Sony Compact entry for the RX100V it only indicates the crop factor (no <calibration> entry).

...but looking further, it seems to reference via <mount> a table lower down. Even better news.

Dave Straker

• 5 months later...

What is the process to have an existing entry in lensfun changed? I have Olympus Stylus 1.

It is mentioned in the database, however I am not happy with the lens correction. It significantly differs from what the camera itself does in jpegs. The correction applied by LR on raw files matches exactly that of the in-camera jpegs. 

• 2 months later...

AFAIK Affinity just reuses the opensource lens library here, meaning they don't calibrate lenses and apply those definitions themselves, so they are dependent on the state the lensfun db maintainers do offer and have here. Thus you might want to ask the lensfun db maintainers instead about such a process, see here!

Further the lensfun manual gives also some additional insights about updating and adding lens data to the db, though it might be more of interest here, if the lensfun db is used in a dynamic system shared manner instead of a static lib used app manner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I made a set of pictures for the lens correction of the D850 and the Nikon 24-70 2.8E VR lens. I have send them to the Lensfun process for correction proces. I hope the camera and lens data will be added to database of Lensfun soon. Next to that I hope the data is added by the software engineers of Affinity Photo so everyone can have benefit of the corrections. My next step is to make special photo's for the vignetting and chromatic abberations of this lens.

• 2 weeks later...

You can manually update by copying the contents of http://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun-db/version_1.tar.bz2 (the latest stable file list)

in to ...\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Resources\Lens Profiles on windows though I would recommend you take a backup of the current contents first just in case something goes wrong.

This is on windows only.

I think though the lensfun project is stalled through lack of resources - it's a shame really as a lot of commercial software is relying up on it but having spoken to some of the volunteers (it's all volunteers) none of the commercial programs that rely on have donated either money or even some staff hours to help with the profiling.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I got the mail that my pictures are used for the calibration proces of the D850 and the nikon 24-70 2.8E VR lens for Lensfun. Soon the data will be in the database. 

I checked the link from the above message but that xml file is still old and does not contain data about the D850. When I have all the parameters I will update the xml file and upload it to the forum. So everyone can update by himself through copying the xml to the right location. Make a copy of the original file to have a back-up file.

Copy the file to the location: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Customer Beta\Resources\Lens Profiles

Set Lens corrections to On in the the Assistant and the corrections are made automatically when opening a Nikon RAW file.

slr-nikon.xml

Edited by dvdende

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, gawr said:

Bump, Anyone?

Yes - it's almost criminal neglect to not include Dji products in the database.
Serif must be asleep at the wheel to not recognize the boom in drone photography.
In fact the Dji lenses are made by Hasselblad - so they're not junk and I'd be happy to have correction for them.

1 hour ago, Brojon said:

Yes - it's almost criminal neglect to not include Dji products in the database.
Serif must be asleep at the wheel to not recognize the boom in drone photography.
In fact the Dji lenses are made by Hasselblad - so they're not junk and I'd be happy to have correction for them.

Serif is not the maintainer of the lensfun database; that's a separate project. If you have a camera that is not in the lensfun database you can profile it yourself and supply the info to the lensfun team for inclusion in a future update. Serif would then (at some point) pick up the updated database from lensfun.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Serif appears to use the development version of the database, at least the Yongnuo YN 35mm f/2 is in both, but not on stable.

List is here: https://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun_coverage.html

Lensfun stable is at 0.3.2 from 2015-11-15, development is 0.3.95 from 2018-06-29.

The download bundle contains database, presumably uptodate to 2018-06-29.

As mentioned previously, you can add any missing lenses, procedure seems easy enough. I'll try that for Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8.

https://wilson.bronger.org/lens_calibration_tutorial/

The database in mac is at /Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/Resources/Lens Profiles . Show content on app to see contained stuff.

Edited by zaqzaq
Adding lensfun db directory

• 4 months later...

Hello,

It's seems that the lens correction as changed because in my affinity photo desktop beta version I have not the Lens Profiles directory.

I only have in the Resources directory a file : lens-correction-data.dat which seem to replace the content of the old Lens Profiles directory.

May be it's a database file but what database ? and in this way it's not possible to see the exact covering of the correction ans it's no longer possible to complet the base with the open source datas.

May be I'm wrong ? Could you have a look in your dorectories to confirm or not this point ?

• 6 months later...

Any lens profile for the "Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD"?  This has been my walk-around lens for the last year and would appreciate any update supporting this lens.  (didn't fine it when adding the slr-tamron.xml file to the lens profile directory from lensfun)

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@EddyB

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

There is a pinned post on this topic. However there is a more recent list for 1.7.2, and that pinned post is no longer accurate but will be when I get a chance.

See these 2 attachments

Lens corrections - changes in Affinity Photo 1.7.2.pdf

Supported Lens List Affinity Photo 1.7.2.txt

On 8/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, EddyB said:

...with much more lenses:

Is there a reason why you want "much more lenses" or is it a specific lens that you have that is not supported?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Is there a reason why you want "much more lenses" or is it a specific lens that you have that is not supported?

Thx for your reply. The latest update will now support my Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and my Olympus 12-100mm f/4.0. My Sigma 56mm f/1.4 DC DN is still missing.

Edited by EddyB

• Staff
7 hours ago, EddyB said:

My Sigma 56 mm f/1.4 DC DN is still missing

Yes, agreed it is not in the list, sorry. We hope this will be supported in a future version, but it depends to some extent on getting the required data.

There is a tutorial here on how to create the numbers for a lens but it's quite techy (or finding someone who has done this for your lens) and then importing that file via an option in the General section of Preferences.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 10 months later...

If I create a lensfun profile or find an existing lensfun profile, can I import it into the Affinity Lens Database?
I have lots of off-the-wall lenses like 7artisans and Kamlan and Yongnuo (I see you have two Yongnuo lenses and I have one of them, but I have several not in the list.).

I am interested in buying some fast lenses like Mitakon f0.95 (both DSLR and Mirrorless)  and maybe Kipon Ibelux 40mm.  But you don't have current profiles for those.

I found a tool to help create lens profiles, but I need to be able to use them in the Affinity program or I will find something else instead.

Right now, I am evaluating Affinity Photo, but I cannot find current instructions on how to import the profiles.

I see the file 

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\lens-correction-data.dat

which I guess is the lens database.  If it is a SQL file like SQLite or something, I can import them myself.