You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] - Align to: FIRST/LAST selected

After making a switch from Inkscape to Affinity Designer... I mostly like it, but there are few features which I see missing and used them a lot... 

One of them is the ability to decide how the object alignment will work - esp. which object will be the reference for the alignment. 

Right now, if I want to align two (or more) objects - they are both moved towards each other...

In some cases, this is not desired, as if one object was already properly placed, I'd like to keep it where it was, and only have remaining objects moved.

2017-03-02_1304.png

In Inkscape, you can define in relation to what the alignment will be done.

For me, the most used (and missing in AD) reference options were Firs and Last selected - so respectively the first or last selected object won't move, and all others would be aligned to it.

Would you please consider it? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being an Inkscape user myself, I know what you mean.

But also, there is this as of now: you can align one object with another by draggin the dependent object and the vertical green line will appear (or the horizontal red line), meaning that it's centered. heck the screenshot I attached.

Also, consider that this will happen when you have the snapping options enabled (magnet icon).

P. S.: Here you have a couple of videos explaining more about snapping and candidates. I know it's not the same as in Inkscape but in my case, it has been good enough:

Snapping and dynamic guides

Snapping: Candidates

post-41989-0-20987800-1492253277_thumb.png

Hi Mithferion,

Unfortunately this method that I also use works only for two objects, if there are several objects in different places on the page you have to take them one by one to align them.

Depending on the situation, it could be done in one move. For example, if you want to align smaller objects to a bigger one.

If that's not the case, yeah, it would be time-consuming.