You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to simulate a depth of focus for a layer? Any recomondations?

hi there,

does anybody have a tipp how to simulate a depth of focus for one layer?

I do have two layers.

1) A Background with a slighlty blur feeling

2) extracted people in front

I would like to have the people beeing more embedded into the background.

currently they stand out as they are more sharp.

I thought of adding a subtile blur to the edge of the "people" photo to simulate a natural depth of a focus.

But I don't know how to do it in a easy and natural looking way.

Or any other idea?

Thanks!

Thomas

Bild%201.jpg Bild%202.jpg

• Staff

Hi Thomas,

Affinity Photo has Depth of Field filters from the Filters menu and also as a live filter. It has two different modes to choose from Elliptical and Tilt Shift, elliptical may be the better one to use as you can place the centre on the subjects face but can depend on the image. You may also want to try and adjust the Levels, place a colour overlay which matches the colour in the background.

Hi Thomas,

Affinity Photo has Depth of Field filters from the Filters menu and also as a live filter. It has two different modes to choose from Elliptical and Tilt Shift, elliptical may be the better one to use as you can place the centre on the subjects face but can depend on the image. You may also want to try and adjust the Levels, place a colour overlay which matches the colour in the background.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your effort.

But in fact the Depth of the Field filter sharpens even more. Also I do have a group of people and it would be great if some filter could work with the mask.

If you want the person to look as if he is farther into the background, since it is slightly blurred & a bit obscured by smoke, have you tried using a small amount of blur on his layer, a bit of Perlin noise to simulate smoke, & maybe a live lighting effect?

Attached is a very crude example of what I mean, using your second jpg image as a starting point. I used a very small amount of Gaussian blur with protect alpha enabled to prevent the blur from bleeding beyond the person. I duplicated that layer & applied the Perlin Noise filter to it, & then reduced the layer opacity to simulate a little smokiness. The Live Lighting filter at reduced opacity adds a small amount of colored light.

Not very convincing as is but maybe this will give you some ideas you can use....

Bild 2.afphoto

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you want the person to look as if he is farther into the background, since it is slightly blurred & a bit obscured by smoke, have you tried using a small amount of blur on his layer, a bit of Perlin noise to simulate smoke, & maybe a live lighting effect?

Attached is a very crude example of what I mean, using your second jpg image as a starting point. I used a very small amount of Gaussian blur with protect alpha enabled to prevent the blur from bleeding beyond the person. I duplicated that layer & applied the Perlin Noise filter to it, & then reduced the layer opacity to simulate a little smokiness. The Live Lighting filter at reduced opacity adds a small amount of colored light.

Not very convincing as is but maybe this will give you some ideas you can use....

Thanks for your help...

Best wishes! Thomas