You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ben, thanks for going over this once again.

I am aware (on a good day, anyway) of the difference between using the actual vs. display values in expressions, which is why I normally use explicit variables like w or h in my expressions & rarely append anything to the end of the existing display value.

I guess the 'operator equals' notation seems odd to be because for whatever reason I expect it to be in the opposite order (like =* or =/). As I said, for that I just need to make more of an effort to remember the proper order of the symbols.

More troublesome for me is that the explicit forms (like w*2) do not work in the resize dialogs, while the two relative compromise forms (like *2) do. For consistence's sake I would prefer that the expressions work everywhere the same as in the Transform panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Yes, there are probably more places where we need to provide variables.  It's mostly down to having different people working on different areas of the UI.

The problem we have is giving the variables names.  The transform tab is easy because each item has a single character label next to it.  For other dialogs it might not be so simple.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 7 months later...
  • Staff
On 08/03/2017 at 9:53 AM, R C-R said:

While I am on the subject, I have noticed that dragging on a field name to change its field value, which I find very useful in the Transform panel, does not honor the height/width ratio lock when dragging on the w: or h: field names. It also does not respond to the alt/option key being held down to reduce the increment like when using the scroll wheel with the pointer hovered over the field value to change the value, which also honors the lock.

We believe this was fixed in early 1.6 betas please confirm the behaviour now honors (sic) your expectations, thanks :)

[Our Ref AFD-2281]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We believe this was fixed in early 1.6 betas please confirm the behaviour now honors (sic) your expectations, thanks :)

Seems to work OK in AD 1.6 (Beta 11); however, when dragging on the w or h field name in the Transform panel with the ratio lock on, it only updates in realtime in the h direction on the canvas, while the numeric values both update continuously in the panel. Only when the mouse button is released does the w value finally update on the canvas. This makes it a bit hard to interactively resize anything proportionally.

PS: regarding the "honors" spelling, if the Norman conquest of England had never occurred, you folks probably would still be using that Latin derived form instead of the Old French spelling "honour," as well as for "color" & other similar words derived from Latin. So, how "(sic)" is that? xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7