You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to access more path component variables?

Hi, I am trying to automate my filenames for slices because manually renaming slices takes up more time than I'd like. However, I don't see many token variables available for slice names (and only one available for the path).

What I want is at least a variable that holds the document name, as I often name my assets [comp]_[slice].png, such as onboarding_photo1.png, where "onboarding" is the name of the document and "photo1" is the name of the slice.

edit: title of this post references naming paths, but my question is actually more related to automating filenames for slices. and why isn't this just unified in the UI into one automated field for the path and the filename..?

• Staff

It's possible to add your own variables but these are only available to the current document. I agree, it would be useful to have some more default variables such as Document Name, Artboard Name etc... It's been requested before by other users and hopefully this part of the app will be improved in the future.

• 4 months later...

@Leigh Could you explain how you can create custom variables ? I didn’t find anything helpful in the interface or in the documentation

Ideally, I would like to automatically add the artboard name in the path.

PS: Adding in the path variables list the artboard name seems to me like a good idea as I’m sure I’m not the only one with such needs.

• Staff
On 22/07/2017 at 8:39 AM, fdelaneau said:

@Leigh Could you explain how you can create custom variables ? I didn’t find anything helpful in the interface or in the documentation

Ideally, I would like to automatically add the artboard name in the path.

PS: Adding in the path variables list the artboard name seems to me like a good idea as I’m sure I’m not the only one with such needs.

You can click on any of the filenames in the Slices Panel to show the options for User Defined Variables :)

@Leigh I’m found that part, I was looking for a way to add custom variables to the Path and the field is shown but seems disabled and even so there is no way to retrieve the artboard name.

You mentioned that the variables are limited to the document witch is fine by me, but in my tests the variable was limited to the export you are editing and doesn’t show in others ? It doesn’t seems right and I can't find any use for this implementation except perhaps for some export scripts that I’m not aware of.

• Staff

It's pretty limited at the moment but i'm sure more variables will be added in the future for things such as the Artboard Name etc...

You seem to be correct about the user variable only showing for the current export - I will log this with our developers.

• 1 year later...

Just to bring up the subject again since a (busy) year after there is no update on this part.

I would really love to be able to use the artboard or the parent layer or group as a path variable (or even the artboard parent layer/group).

This would make life so much easier to prepare lists of assets.