You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improve Eyedropper Tool

vling

Hi guys, new to the forum and not sure if this is the right place to post or if there's another post like this. I've looked but couldn't find it.

At the moment there's a shortcut to select a color off a layer but it feels very odd from a user's perspective. I see the color change in the color slider/wheel when I select a color but it doesn't automatically apply. I'm not sure if I am missing something here, but when you use the eyedropper tool in Illustrator, you select the layer you want to change the color, use the eyedropper tool and select something else and it automatically changes it to that color. 

Is that something that can be done for Affinity Designer too? I just see the color changing but it doesn't apply to my selected layer.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi vling,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you use the Colour Picker Tool (from the toolbar on the left) instead it will work exactly as you want. The colour picked on the Colour panel is a little different: when you click with it on the colour you want on canvas, it places/captures that colour to the small colour well near the icon on the Colour panel - it doesn't apply it immediately to the object. You then have to click the small colour well to actually apply the colour to the object you want.

Thanks for getting back to me Meb! 

I'm not sure if I am doing this right, I am using the shortcut (Alt) (I think it's alt, it shows me [ ] ) to the color picker tool on the left to do just as you mentioned but it's not changing. It only works when I manually click the layer and the button, then the layer again. Does the shortcut not work? :(

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on enhancing the Colour Picker tool, or introducing a tool to copy an object's overall style to a new object? In Illustrator the Eyedropper tool did this with one click, but here it seems the only way is to create a New Style from Selection and apply it to the new object. But sometimes I just want to use a new style as a basis and recolor it manually, without creating a dozen new Styles that I don't really need.

I know it seems like a stretch, and I don't expect AD to completely mimic Illustrator, but it seems that would be handy. Thanks in advance!

This would be great if it could be implemented.

Any word on enhancing the Colour Picker tool, or introducing a tool to copy an object's overall style to a new object? In Illustrator the Eyedropper tool did this with one click, but here it seems the only way is to create a New Style from Selection and apply it to the new object. But sometimes I just want to use a new style as a basis and recolor it manually, without creating a dozen new Styles that I don't really need.

I know it seems like a stretch, and I don't expect AD to completely mimic Illustrator, but it seems that would be handy. Thanks in advance!

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Any word on enhancing the Colour Picker tool, or introducing a tool to copy an object's overall style to a new object?

Doesn't 'Edit > Copy' on the original object followed by 'Edit > Paste Style' on the new object already do this? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Doesn't 'Edit > Copy' on the original object followed by 'Edit > Paste Style' on the new object already do this? :unsure:

Yes and now - you make a copy of a style.

But sometimes You just want to copy something from an object rather - or then test a different object, or another one and and and

The copy paste in the style panel makes sense when well working with style you will add mainly.

The style eye dropper allows a different fast explorative workflow Affinity currently does not offer - another bummer.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

• 7 months later...

The Eyedropper could be indeed much more improved. Affinity only grabs the color while in Illustrator/inDesign it's way more powerful and useful, you can grab everything, you just need to press the "shift" key to only grab the color and with the "alt" key you can reuse what you grabbed on other objects, the workflow is much more streamlined.

EyedropperOptions.jpg