You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brian's Logos

Bri-Toon

I wanted to wait until I have enough of my comic project out of the way and have that art be the first thing to post in this section, but what the heck?

I got a job offer to come up with a logo for someone's music production company, Alliance Live Audio. I made up ten concepts to start with.

alliance_live_audio_logos_by_leduc_galle

Before making these, I made a logo of my own to stand out for all of my works. This is my new company name and logo. As if you're watching a movie, and the DreamWorks or Spotlight Fox logo pops up. I needed one of my own.

the_next_generation_of_art_by_leduc_gall

I hope you like them.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

TfgyQsW.pngI like 1,3,7,8....1 and 3,the font might look better with a san serif type,imo,it looks out of place with the font style. Not picking,im new and learning logo design also,just maybe using a different font would help balance it out a bit ;) . as for 3 might look good as a sound waves on both sides of the A,but with no headphones.

Edit I just wanted to try somethin lol,not trying to outdo you

I like 3, but I agree with Anna Susanna that the calligraphic font doesn't quite fit, and I think her 'A' with the curved crossbar looks good. As for the headphones, maybe you could simplify/flatten them if you don't want to lose them completely.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for everyone's feedback. I agree that the fancy font may have not have been the best choice. Someone else mentioned that as well. Anyway, I will need to work on new designs today, because more of a "stage" theme is what's desired. These themes make the company look more like a DJ business when I got more of a description that it captures lighting, uses soundboards, and speakers. So I will need to make some updates, and maybe you can critique them before I send my revisions.

I like your idea, Anna. The font looks a lot more readable, and 'Live' sticks out more. That was also recommended. It gives me an idea.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Please do show the next round. Seems like the clients are a stage rigging company. How will the clients use the logo? Stationery banner? And/or bumper stickers. And/or labels to fix to their equipment? I'd be concerned that trying to illustrate all the services would end up w. something to complex for a logo.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I like 3 (with a different font, more modern, without serif), 7 and 8.

Three seems to be a lot of people's favorites. And yeah, that font will definitely go. But wait.....you said without......Serif? Oh, curses.

Please do show the next round. Seems like the clients are a stage rigging company. How will the clients use the logo? Stationery banner? And/or bumper stickers. And/or labels to fix to their equipment? I'd be concerned that trying to illustrate all the services would end up w. something to complex for a logo.

Aw thank you so much for your interest. I'm sure the logo will be used on the website and other of its merchandise. And I agree with you. With the Prevalent Arts logo meant to look like a motion picture logo, I think I got too detailed with the ones for Alliance Live Audio. Non-animatic logos are usually simpler. That is something I will change in my next round.

But I'm upset to be facing computer issues, so it might be a while.

With the Prevalent Arts logo meant to look like a motion picture logo, I think I got too detailed with the ones for Alliance Live Audio.

The Prevalent Arts logo immediately reminded me of the 'P-in-a-circle' sound recording copyright symbol, which may not be the connection you want people to make if it's intended to represent motion picture work.

Alfred spacer.png

Three seems to be a lot of people's favorites. And yeah, that font will definitely go. But wait.....you said without......Serif? Oh, curses.

Haha! Well seen bleduc, I had not realized in writing my comment! :)

Obviously the font without serif is to type with Serif. :D :D :D

Strange I did not get notified of new responses any of the topics I'm watching.

The Prevalent Arts logo immediately reminded me of the 'P-in-a-circle' sound recording copyright symbol, which may not be the connection you want people to make if it's intended to represent motion picture work.

Do you mean this? If so, I think that much is okay. Letters in circles are pretty common, and there are many logos and names that look and sound very similar to others. Plus, I think the seven stars would make it more identifiable.

Haha! Well seen bleduc, I had not realized in writing my comment! :)

Obviously the font without serif is to type with Serif. :D :D :D

You better believe it or leave it.  ^_^

I like your idea, Anna. The font looks a lot more readable, and 'Live' sticks out more. That was also recommended. It gives me an idea.

You're welcome,and clad I could help also. I noticed on some of their page sections,when you click on them,the text is hard to read against the bg,maybe if they had a bounding text box with a color in it,you can read it better,otherwise it looks slightly unprofessional if you cant read what they advertise.

Do you mean this? If so, I think that much is okay. Letters in circles are pretty common, and there are many logos and names that look and sound very similar to others. Plus, I think the seven stars would make it more identifiable.

Yes, I like what you've done overall. I just thought you could maybe replace the circle with something else like a triangular shape (which would hint at the 'A' for Arts that is currently missing).

Alfred spacer.png

I noticed on some of their page sections,when you click on them,the text is hard to read against the bg,maybe if they had a bounding text box with a color in it,you can read it better,otherwise it looks slightly unprofessional if you cant read what they advertise.

Are you sure it's not just a problem with your browser? I am able to view every page with a content box behind the text.

Yes, I like what you've done overall. I just thought you could maybe replace the circle with something else like a triangular shape (which would hint at the 'A' for Arts that is currently missing).

That's a neat idea. I will think about it. The only problem is that the top point of the triangle would cover the top point of the star. Plus, there is a certain mood I want that logo to shout out. My art is meant to bring back innocence and a brand new start on life. I want people to be able to look at that logo and feel at ease. But an upside down triangle is connected to the number 3, which means wisdom. An upward triangle can actually have some pretty scary background such as the triangle Ouroboros and Illuminati. A circle can mean eternal and natural good. Not to sound super picky, but I am quite the symbol traveler.

I do think I would like to have this kind of circle instead. Reading a little into it, it means protection.

post-27616-0-89431400-1488383107_thumb.png

I do think I would like to have this kind of circle instead. Reading a little into it, it means protection.

Ooh! I like that!!  B)

Alfred spacer.png

It is time for Round 2. I was having a really hard time trying to figure out how to make the art actually look like a logo and not just a picture. Then I realized Ros' idea to add outlines. I thought, what a brilliant idea. So I ended up adding outlines to outlines to outlines. I also tried to make things look simpler. Some of these designs might still look a bit complex for a logo. That is because I had to implement the type of company I'm advertising. I think the last one here is my best.

Edited one more time.

(After making the first five, I realized they look too complex for logos, so I simplified the second five. And I have no idea why the text came out like that in some of them.)

alliance_live_audio___round_2_by_leduc_g

Edited by bleduc

It is time for Round 2. I was having a really hard time trying to figure out how to make the art actually look like a logo and not just a picture. Then I realized Ros' idea to add outlines. I thought, what a brilliant idea. So I ended up adding outlines to outlines to outlines. I also tried to make things look simpler. Some of these designs might still look a bit complex for a logo. That is because I had to implement the type of company I'm advertising. I think the last one here is my best.

Edited one more time.

(After making the first five, I realized they look too complex for logos, so I simplified the second five. And I have no idea why the text came out like that in some of them.)

The last five are finally approaching "logo" territory. My personal opinion is that the third to last is your strongest one (just plain white, microphone in the negative space). In the last two, the microphone and light beam are severely off center, and I'm sure that wasn't intentional. Utilize your alignment tools. Center everything to each other.

Here's a pro tip with logo design...start off in just black and white. Once you have a design that will effectively work in black and white, and is still legible at around 1cm (1/2 inch), then you can start to introduce some color. Not a lot of different colors though. You'd be best to limit it to a few colors (which you've generally done). Try to avoid gradients of any kind.   

Here's an example of what you could do. Take your third to last design, the solid white one with a silhouette of a microphone. Make the outside ring the teal color. Add a little bit of a space between the thick outside ring and the inside shape. Tada! Simple, scaleable, and also works in just black and white.

Also, beware of strokes, especially added to text. That can be a designer's worst enemy. Strokes are not always your friend! I'm guessing the reason why your text came out that way is because you were adjusting the scale of objects, but the stroke didn't scale with it. 

The last five are finally approaching "logo" territory. My personal opinion is that the third to last is your strongest one (just plain white, microphone in the negative space). In the last two, the microphone and light beam are severely off center, and I'm sure that wasn't intentional. Utilize your alignment tools. Center everything to each other.

Thank you for your honest feedback. It's hard to keep things simple and at the same time neat. Logo designing has been a tough job for me. And yes, I did not mean to off center the light in those versions. The snapping does not always work.

Here's a pro tip with logo design...start off in just black and white. Once you have a design that will effectively work in black and white, and is still legible at around 1cm (1/2 inch), then you can start to introduce some color. Not a lot of different colors though. You'd be best to limit it to a few colors (which you've generally done). Try to avoid gradients of any kind.  

That's a really good idea.

Here's an example of what you could do. Take your third to last design, the solid white one with a silhouette of a microphone. Make the outside ring the teal color. Add a little bit of a space between the thick outside ring and the inside shape. Tada! Simple, scaleable, and also works in just black and white.

Like a knock-out group?

post-27616-0-28455200-1488820144_thumb.png

Also, beware of strokes, especially added to text. That can be a designer's worst enemy. Strokes are not always your friend! I'm guessing the reason why your text came out that way is because you were adjusting the scale of objects, but the stroke didn't scale with it.

I didn't realize until you mentioned it, that must be why the letters are overlapping in some of the designs. The stroke is larger. That was unintentional. I brought all of the logos into Affinity Photo, rasterized them and shrank them, so I could fit all of the concepts in a single image. I must've shrank some of the concepts first, and then rasterized them.

I didn't realize until you mentioned it, that must be why the letters are overlapping in some of the designs. The stroke is larger. That was unintentional. I brought all of the logos into Affinity Photo, rasterized them and shrank them, so I could fit all of the concepts in a single image. I must've shrank some of the concepts first, and then rasterized them.

Why rasterize them at all in your project file? You just make it harder to tweak your design, and everything is going to be automagically rasterized on export anyway.

Alfred spacer.png

Why rasterize them at all in your project file? You just make it harder to tweak your design, and everything is going to be automagically rasterized on export anyway.

I made copies to rasterize. I still have the original vector artwork. I did that because the artwork was huge, and also very slow because of various effects and styles I added.

Thank you for your honest feedback. It's hard to keep things simple and at the same time neat. Logo designing has been a tough job for me. And yes, I did not mean to off center the light in those versions. The snapping does not always work.

That's a really good idea.

Like a knock-out group?

Logo design can be a very tough gig for sure. I try to start with pen (or pencil) on paper first. That really forces you to work on the ideas in...black and white! As one of my design professors always reminded us; the computer is a horrible design tool. It's a fantastic production tool, but with too many options at hand, it can't actually start to inhibit the actual design part of the process. Oh, and trust me, I know how finicky the snapping can be. It's always lining up to the wrong objects on me.

Your latest upload...getting somewhere! I'd shrink that gap between the center object and the outside ring though (the knock-out area). Maybe about half that size, but not too small. Right now it feels like it is about the same weight as the ring. About 1/2 to 3/4 the weight of the outside ring may feel better.

You could probably ditch the stroke altogether on the portion below. To me, it feels like an afterthought that serves little to no purpose. Take a look at the thumbnail in your spoiler. That stroke isn't even visible there. Also, that thumbnail is a pretty good indicator of how legible your logo is at a small scale, both as individual elements and as a whole.

The only other thing I think I'd suggest at this point is to maybe push the "A" in the center to read more as an "A". It does a pretty good job of that now, but that's because I know what the company name is. Play with it and see if you can get it to still read as an "A" while still utilizing the negative space with the microphone. If not, at least you explored that avenue.

Oh, and feel free to apply some of these suggestions to your other concepts. Good luck, and great job!

Logo design can be a very tough gig for sure. I try to start with pen (or pencil) on paper first. That really forces you to work on the ideas in...black and white! As one of my design professors always reminded us; the computer is a horrible design tool. It's a fantastic production tool, but with too many options at hand, it can't actually start to inhibit the actual design part of the process. Oh, and trust me, I know how finicky the snapping can be. It's always lining up to the wrong objects on me.

That is true.

Your latest upload...getting somewhere! I'd shrink that gap between the center object and the outside ring though (the knock-out area). Maybe about half that size, but not too small. Right now it feels like it is about the same weight as the ring. About 1/2 to 3/4 the weight of the outside ring may feel better.

Dang! I almost went for a compound boolean too. For some reason, the compound with the microphone and then the new gap space was rasterizing the art, so I just made a regular boolean. But I can still make a circle, expand, and then add.

You could probably ditch the stroke altogether on the portion below. To me, it feels like an afterthought that serves little to no purpose. Take a look at the thumbnail in your spoiler. That stroke isn't even visible there. Also, that thumbnail is a pretty good indicator of how legible your logo is at a small scale, both as individual elements and as a whole.

Well the reason I do have an outside stroke is to give the text contrast. That particular dark background (for the text) may not work too well, but if the logo was on a light background, then the teal color of "Live" would ironically not look so lively. And the logo would most likely appear on various merchandise.

The only other thing I think I'd suggest at this point is to maybe push the "A" in the center to read more as an "A". It does a pretty good job of that now, but that's because I know what the company name is. Play with it and see if you can get it to still read as an "A" while still utilizing the negative space with the microphone. If not, at least you explored that avenue.

I'm glad you picked up on that little secret A. I know that some logos like Amazon have secrets (it has an arrow pointing from A-Z since they have everything from A-Z).

Oh, and feel free to apply some of these suggestions to your other concepts. Good luck, and great job!

Thank you very much for the very strong support. Your suggestions make a lot of sense, but I wonder I should start a third time. I wouldn't say the logos I made look strikingly appealing, but I think I'm getting a better understanding. I'm waiting to hear back from my employer. If he's looking for something different again, then I need to cook up something really good and use the principles you educated me.

Then IMO, provide a version for going over black backgrounds or very dark ones, another for white/clear. Anyway, this should have been spoken with the client... Some would want that option, some not. Some know from start the logo, no matter what, will always go over a black backgrounds (or white). there are millions of situations.  The correct thing to do is provide certain number of versions for different media, sizes, etc.  The border (outline stroke) is a bad decision in most logos.  besides looking a bit amateurish usually (unless certain special touch or matter justifies it). Go for plain body text instead, much more elegant, and offers no problems when reducing to small sizes. All what that border is gonna do in those is add blur and confusion.  Also, as mentioned, it is not adding anything important.

The black and white for the shape.. yep, that's always said in schools (studied Fine Arts, later a master in design)... You can develop later on a certain habit, not necessarily do it so all times... (imho). Also.. about drawing the concept in paper... I'd agree, but... maybe some decades ago, back in '91 when I got my first digital tablet and pen, would have agreed more. Today.. Inking (like for comics or illustration line art) nope, not at all (doable but not preferring it), but sketching... almost the same than with a piece of paper.. . Creativity can also be "trained" , there are factors more important than if you are using a real piece of good old paper or not... (plus, there's great software mimicking greatly pencil feel.  Even you can do so with clever settings on a simple rounded brush in 90% of the 2D packages.  )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.