You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to delete a specific line in a drawing?

Hello all,

Ive been using Affinity Designer for a while now

Yet I still haven't figured out how to delete a specific line without losing or warping parts of a drawing.

here is a picture of something i'm working on at the moment, I am outlining this car -

as you can see I have a line crossing through it 

How do I remove that line without affecting the lines that are connected to this?

Really appreciate any help

Miles

If you click on that line with the Move (V) or Node (A) tool does another part of the outline get selected as well? It looks like the pen tool created that line while you were creating an outline of the car so that you have multiple outlines creating the overall outline. With the Node tool, you may need to remove that line then connect the remaining curves together. There are little tools in the menu area to help with that when you are using the Node tool. While your snapshot helps, it doesn't really show the line nodes like posting the Designer file would.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

OK, Just d-loaded the file.

OK, there is something I'm not understanding. The shape w. the diagonal appear to be made from 3 shapes, of which at least 1 was not closed. Affinity can't do geometric operations when there are unclosed shapes w/o repeatedly trying to close them.  

After a few tries, I'm not seeing how to break them up. 

I'm going to go and have some dinner. I'll look at it again after some refreshment.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi 

I have attempted to fix it for you (Hope its what you want!)

just needed to isolate the line and break the two nodes at each end of the line (break icon on pen tool options)..I set up 2 hot keys to control these ..it makes things easier to manipulate nodes if working on vectors all day!

car - file_no line.afdesign

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks for posting the file. In the layers panel, I dropped open "Group" and found the line by simply clicking on each "Curve" sublayer, one at a time, until the line "lit up."

Then I clicked the Node tool (A) and you will see in the attached screen shot where that line came from. You can see the end nodes you can use to delete it. When you do, that curve may change into something you may want or may not want. You will likely need to select some end-nodes and close the curve. Or you may want it open. The curve on that layer is complex and if you plan on adding fills later you may find it needs some re-configuring.

Edit PS: Sometimes the pen tool, depending on the mode in use at the moment, will start a new path by connecting to the last node on the previous path. This may be how that line was created.

post-37528-0-28114500-1488311422_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone.

To Stuart_R - thanks, great stuff! . Is this a more efficient way to selecting two nodes and clicking delete?

or is it the same thing. 

To Jer - Yes the line was created by a new path and I didn't realise. As you said, when you click on two nodes to eliminate a line it warps whatever is connected to it. 

so it is possible to isolate a line and delete it regardless of how everything is connected.

If I drew a flower and the line forming the stem is also connected to all the petals (same path) - I am able to isolate the stem between two nodes and delete it without warping the petals or having to rectify the shapes.

If I have an intricate drawing and wish to remove a line in a tricky area is what I am trying to learn. 

Sorry if I am repeating myself, I've been winging it on Affinity.

I'll try and put all this to practice, must have a proper look at the tool bar.

:)

To gdenby - I've been making line drawings in a very unorganised way. I haven't been paying attention to how things are connected and been more focused on just making it work or look the way I want it to. I also haven't got a clue how to colour anything digitally - I've realised recently that the way i'm approaching these drawings is also affecting the colouring stage in Affinity Designer.

So yes I definitely left a lot of open shapes.

:wacko:

post-53226-0-47739200-1488315331_thumb.png

In the layers panel, I dropped open "Group" and found the line by simply clicking on each "Curve" sublayer, one at a time, until the line "lit up."

A quicker way to make the line "light up" is to Ctrl-click it (or, for Mac users, Cmd-click it) on the canvas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The problem for me was not just the diagonal line. In the file, the diagonal line is part of a a shape that is part of at least 2 unclosed shapes that were laid one on another. I could get rid of the diagonal, but then there was an incomplete shape that included what appeared to be a closed shape at the bottom. And the outline exends up to one of the rear view mirrors. When I did a divide, I got yet another diagonal.

I supposed that the curve was originally composed of several lines that had end nodes snapped to ones already existing. It was a major fuss, but I was eventually able to break them apart. I had to isolate 2 different point lines that were on top of each.

Then I could make a discrete shape at the bottom of the body silhouette, and complete the upper shape to 1 closed curve.

post-34886-0-28850100-1488317563_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

To gdenby - I've been making line drawings in a very unorganised way. I haven't been paying attention to how things are connected and been more focused on just making it work or look the way I want it to. I also haven't got a clue how to colour anything digitally - I've realised recently that the way i'm approaching these drawings is also affecting the colouring stage in Affinity Designer.

So yes I definitely left a lot of open shapes.

:wacko:

In Designer, vector shapes are defined as possibly having a fill and stroke. This is pretty standard. If you look at the structure of publicly defined vector formats such as .svg and .eps, you would see that objects are described by a set of points, with certain rules applied on how they join. The stroke that would follow that line can be defined, as can the fill. Designer allows shapes to not be closed, but if a fill is specified, it will be created spanning the unclosed area. When there are several shapes that are made only from unclosed lines, if they are subject to any of the boolean operations, the program automatically closes them.

So if you want just strokes, the program has a command called expand stroke. Sometimes there will be very large number of new nodes defined, which in turn can cause other problems with later manipulations.

So when making images w. vectors, don't think of it like traditional line drawing, where getting the position and proportion correct is standard practice. Think instead of painting w. a broad brush, where large strokes need to be laid on on another, and perhaps refined w. a smaller brush later.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi Miles

Is it a more efficient way to selecting two nodes and clicking delete?

Well depends what you are trying to achieve.

When working on lines or shaped objects, if you simply delete the node/s, the path of the object is deformed even if ‘smart nodes’ are selected . The nodes are deleted but not the line

To keep the path of the line intact, breaking the nodes and deleting into separate lines would be a better option

I put together some simple suggestions that may help you but really experimentation is the key solutions

Sometimes you just need to adopt a structured workflow as vector drawings can get complex, especially with nesting and stacking

Closing lines for Filled objects (except when need to blend colours below)

Use the shape tools to build complex vector shapes as they are quite brilliant! combine them with Boolean operations and then convert to curves can simplify your drawing process.

Make use of compound shapes and subsequent created compound layer (ALT+Click Boolean buttons)

Use Global colours, once you get the hang of them it’s easy to universally change the look of multiple objects

Keep the number of nodes to a minimum; click and drag rather than click, click, click. (Sometimes difficult as Affinity can a lot of nodes in some circumstances as gdenby pointed out)

I tend to rely heavily on the Layers Panel to develop a stacking order using Layers Groups, Compounds and layer objects. This is useful when applying effects across multiple layers.

I noticed that jer commented that he had to search for the offending line in the layer stack. There is an option in preferences to allow selected objects to be highlighted in the layers panel (Preferences/User Interface and check =’show selection in layers panel). This works for both the Node and Move Tools. I am not sure whether it’s activated by default.

Add keyboard short-cuts to common drawing tasks; like breaking and joining nodes; it’s much easier than dancing with the cursor.

[AD] How to select underlying node in Questions and feedback forum (may help you I did not know this until yesterday!)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

A quicker way to make the line "light up" is to Ctrl-click it (or, for Mac users, Cmd-click it) on the canvas.

Right on, Alfred. But I was trying to gently lead along a new user who maybe would learn basics better in step-by-step. You know, the ol' "teach a man to fish, don't give him a fish," method. I also hoped he would see, in this way, just how many curves (sublayers) he had created and maybe catch on to naming his layers for easier navigation later.

Please keep on watching over me, however, cause you can't always tell if I know what I'm doing - and 90% of the time I DON'T.   :wacko:  :lol:

you can't always tell if I know what I'm doing - and 90% of the time I DON'T.   :wacko:  :lol:

That sounds very like yours truly! ;) :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 8 months later...

I am sorry to ask the same question and for a very simple drawing that should be easy, but here goes.

I need to delete the vertical line in the middle of this object.  Have tried the node tool but must be doing something wrong.  I want to cut this object out on a laser printer and as it is I would end up with two objects. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 2.31.07 PM.png

30 minutes ago, new_to_AF said:

I need to delete the vertical line in the middle of this object. 

If you look carefully at the Layers panel, you will see that this is a "(Curves)" (note the plural) object. That means it actually consists of two different curve objects. If you use the boolean Divide operation, it will be converted back to its individual curves. Once that is done, you can break the nodes where the vertical line(s) are (there will probably be two of them), delete the line segments, join & close the two remaining curves.

Far from ideal I know, but aside from creating a single curves object to begin with & bowing the top & bottom segments with the Node tool, that is what you need to do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!  I've been using Affinity Designer for about a week now.

Is there a way to select and change just one line in a shape?  For example, could I make a polygon where one of the line segments is a different color or thickness then the others?

I know how to make a continuous change throughout the whole perimeter using stroke pressure or gradients, but that doesn't align with points at all.

Also, can you bend the unclosed "line" of an open shape?  Or does it have to be straight?

• Staff

Hi Tau Myx,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, all "lines" (segments) that conform a shape must have the same attributes (width, color etc). If you need to change the attributes of one segment you have to break the shape at the nodes that surround the segment you want using the Node Tool, selecting the nodes and clicking the Break Curve button in the Action section in the context toolbar (it's the first icon). You should now be able to select just that segment with the Move Tool and change its attributes.

No, you can't bend the unclosed line of an open shape. It's always a straight "line" connecting the start and end points.

• 2 years later...

How to delete a segment in a drawing made in Affinity Designer v1.9.1.979

I found this solution for those who are interested.

First, with the pen tool draw anything that has several segments.  Then click le letter "A" on your keyboard to use the Node Tool.  Put the white arrow near the path you want to delete.  The cursor will change to a white arrow with a very small wavy line.  If you click on that path you will add a new point but if you hold the CTRL key, that wavy line changes to a white arrow with a red X.  Now you just need to click on the path and it will be remove.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that you can't ungroup those path separetely.  That would be nice though.  Hopefully in the next update.

Here you go !

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, Luc Collette said:

If you click on that path you will add a new point but if you hold the CTRL key, that wavy line changes to a white arrow with a red X.  Now you just need to click on the path and it will be remove.

THANK YOU!

This has been driving me nuts (also, doesn't help my MacBook doesn't have a CTRL key on both sides of the keyboard.)

• 7 months later...