You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default Black is not Black only

I have a question concerning colour. When I create a new Affinity Designer document, the Default Black colour isn't 100% Black, it is 72 Cyan, 68 Magenta, 67 Yellow and  88 Black. Why that colour? If it was "registration" (100% of all colours) I could understand but it isn't. It is odd because I have set the colour space to be CMYK when I created the document. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be that way? For someone who has experience working with images for print it isn't as much of a problem (it is annoying but can be dealt with) but for someone who doesn't quite understand the printing process this could be a problem. On screen it looks black but if it were to be printed commercially, it wouldn't look so good. 

• Staff

Hi Hokusai,

Are you using the Mac App Store version or the latest beta? The latest beta build fixes this issue - it's simply that the default colours for the document were always made from the HSL versions of their colours, whereas now each document initialises with an appropriate colour from its own colour format. If I create a new CMYK document, switch to the line fill context and change colour models to CMYK I can see that the colour is now 0,0,0,100. In the version you're using you can simply choose the CMYK colour you expected and everything will obviously be fine, but the document defaults were obviously wrong but have now been fixed.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the explanation. You are correct, I'm using the version that I bought through the Apple App store and not the beta. Do you recommend that I use the beta? I have been enjoying the Apple App Store version so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will mature. I know that you guys are working hard, hats off to you all. 

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

I have a question for you about colour. Before you mentioned that this was fixed but it still seems odd to me. I have been using the latest beta but at least one place is still not 100% black (and my document's colour space is CMYK). It still shows up as C-94 M-84 Y-84 K-84. If this is supposed to be registration?

post-3209-0-16400400-1420641194_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Hokusai,

It looks like you've found a bug - it'll be easily rectified. No, that swatch is supposed to be CMYK(0,0,0,100) and the white is obviously just supposed to be CMYK(0,0,0,0) and I think it's unfortunately just defaulting to RGB white and black, which converted to CMYK makes the colour you're seeing, sorry :(

We'll get this last bit sorted soon - thanks for letting us know! :)

Matt

• Staff

Hi osang,

You should be able to reliably use the current Designer beta version for your needs... as long as you remember the small caveat just above - that the swatch of 'black' in the 'swatches' panel is actually RGB black by mistake, so just add your own CMYK black to your swatch and use that instead. Other than that, things should act as you'd imagine.

Thanks,

Matt

• 6 years later...

I am using Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 and want the type and picture frames to default to 100% black not process black since I am working in cmyk for printing on newsprint and the printer finds it impossible to register process black especially for small text. What settings should I be using to create my document to use a default of 100% black?