You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

First of all, I'm a big fan of Affinity Photo. Used Pixelmator before (respect for the developers). But Affinity Photo really brings photo editing forward. I love the non-destructive way of live and adjustment layers. But there is so much more.

Now my question. Currently playing around with global colours in Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo help mentions in the "Global colours" section that "The global colour could be applied as a solid fill, stroke, or a colour used in the gradient fill." This section also specifies two ways of setting global colours:

1. "To create a global colour from an existing object"; and

2. "To create a global colour from scratch".

I did both in attached sample. I set red by following 1., taking the colour of one of the red "curve layers", and blue by 2.

In attached sample, you see 5 layers. Two layers with blue objects (one pixel generated with a brush and one curve generated with the pen tool); and three layers with red objects (one pixel generated with a brush and two curves generated with a pen tool). All objects coloured with global colours.

Now, when I select one of the global colours in the Swatches panel -> select -> right click -> edit fill -> change colour, only the colour(s) of the curve layers change and not the pixel layer. Why? As I would expect that the pixel layer, generated by using global colours would also change.

Orion

test_globalcolor.afphoto

Hi Fixx,

Thank you for your reply and confirming what I was actually thinking. After posting my question, I have purchased Affinity Designer where I saw similar behaviour, except when I used the vector brush. By using the vector brush (which is not available in Affinity Photo) and 'painting' onto a layer I was able to control to global colour.

Meanwhile I have also read a bit on vector art versus pixel art. By doing so I also think that I understand why global colour is a vector concept and not generally used in pixel graphics.

Looking again at Affinity Photo Help, I actually see that the part on global colour is part of the section titled "Vector specific". :-|

Learnt quite a lot from such probably simple question...