You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inpainting brush tool

• Staff

Hi sofi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you a have a Pixel layer selected in the Layers panel and not any other type of layer (adjustments, filters whatever). You can only use the Inpainting Brush Tool on (Pixel) layers. If the layer you are trying to work with is labelled as an (Image) layer after the layer's name between parenthesis in the Layers panel, you have to convert it to a (Pixel) layer first to be able to manipulate the pixels directly. To do this, right-click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterize.... You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as intended.

Image layers retain the original image data when imported to the document but can only be manipulated/transformed globally (rotate, scale, skew etc). You cannot change its pixels. For that you need to convert them to Pixel layers as described above. The image layer will be then rasterised using the document DPI and can be further manipulated at a pixel level.

I feel weird because I can't use the inpainting brush tool. I click on it, than click-drag over the area that I want to remove, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Be sure you have your Pixel Layer selected and not some adjustment layer, etc.

Go to Layers and highlight your Background (Pixel) layer. Let me know if it works.

Hello.I purchased my Afinity couple days ago. I was exited for I heard some good reviews about it. Now,I was working on my photos,playing a bit with putting BW pixel filter and then brushing it ow with Inpainting brush when suddenly it stopped working.I tried to reload the program, the Mac itself ,change photos format. Nothing helps. It looks like it is a Bug or something. 
Please help! Its so annoying...
I have red the comments here and tried to do the advised RASTERISING. It does not work. And my Affinity started to behave weirdly.. Doesnt open sometimes.. It really looks like a software issues
Respectfully ,Paulius Balbierius

• Staff

Hi Paulius Balbierius,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Inpainting Brush Tool only works on Pixel layers not on Live Filter layers (or adjustments/masks/vector objects etc). Are you sure you have a pixel layer selected while using it? The Rasterise function should only be used when you want to use the Inpainting Brush Tool on an Image layer type. You can check the type of layer you are working with looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the eLayers panel. It it's an (Image) layer, right-click on it and select Rasterise to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool with that layer.

You said the program started to behave weirdly or doesn't run... What does happen exactly? Does it display any error message or a crash report when you start it and it doesn't run?