You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use Patch tool in Affinity Photo

My recent editor experience is with PhotoLine where to use the Patch tool, the area to be patched was selected, then the Patch tool was activated in conjunction with the Alt key (Windows) to select the replacement area.

Affinity Photo apparently doesn't work that way. There seems to be nothing specific in the Help file to address this How To problem, nor have I found a video tutorial on  the topic.

Please explain how to use this tool in Affinity Photo.

Thanks in advance.

IMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB memory. macOS 13.4.1

• Staff

Hi OldRadioGuy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

With the Patch Tool selected draw a selection around the area you want to patch (the target), then move the cursor away to the area you want to use as the source for the patching - you can see a realtime preview over the area you selected initially - then press/click the left mouse button to apply it to that area when you are happy with the preview.

You can also do the opposite if you want - use the selected area as the source for the patching - just check/tick Selection is source in the context toolbar.

For more info please check Affinity Photo Help ▸ Retouching ▸ Patching.

• 8 months later...

I am just not able to get the Patch tool to work properly.Some times it comes but most of the times it does not work

After marking the area to be patched I selected another  area of the image & when i clicked the Alt Left mouse the image gets pasted in the patch area.How ever when i click on the catch to make the patch permanent nothing stays on & i have o repeat the whole thing though with out success

It is really exasperating since i am on a trial license & i was planning to buy the product after testing out

Select the part you want to patch

deer1.jpg.59e29e6fc12894f521f5d8f0b467329b.jpg

move the mouse pointer to an area to patch it with.

Here it is to the right in the clean glass.

deer2.jpg.9c06a32db2f31ba57e9383e76114fa9b.jpg

* click twice. That is two clicks, not a double click !

deer3.jpg.d4cb92966810412b20aea409b8eb85fc.jpg

sorted

* If you click once, you get a bounding box that lets you fine tune or rotate the patch. Click twice for a simple patch.

That might be where you are going wrong. Don't click inside the bounding box with the second click. Photo thinks you are trying to edit the patch, rather than fixing it in place. Click on the good area twice.(or rather, outside the bounding box with the second click).

If you click inside the box,to move the patch. Click somewhere outside the box to finalize it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, Iconic said:

I just found a point no one has been making here. The layer has to be rasterized before the patch tool can work.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Iconic.

That's a good point that one needs to consider, but it's not completely true.

It's true is that the Patch Tool needs to operate on a pixel layer, and so you would not be able to patch an (Image) layer, for example. I think that' probably what you're referring to, and is true of any pixel-based operations.

However, rather than rasterizing the (Image) layer you could add a pixel layer above it, set the Patch Tool source to "Current layer and below" in the Context Toolbar, and then create your patch non-destructively on that pixel layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you are not totally satisfied with the patch, you can also manipulate the "blend options" (cog wheel on the layers menu), assuming you have made the patch on a separate layer located above the image (as explained by walt. 

Another thing to consider is patching just the texture (check the "texture only" option). This will patch only the texture and ignore colors, which might work to smooth out some skin for example.