You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Kinoulton. :)

In the Affinity apps, the 'Duplicate' command is on the Edit menu. The default keyboard shortcut on Windows is Ctrl+J. (You could copy and paste instead, but that involves an extra step and it also overwrites the contents of the clipboard.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the rapid response, Alfred.

I can see 'Copy' and 'Copy flat' in the Edit menu but no 'Duplicate' option.

I can of course make a duplicate file before editing, but it was useful to do it from within Photoplus if I decided to do any major work, so that I had a guaranteed fall back option if things went wrong, or if I simply changed my mind.

• Staff

Hi Kinoulton,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to duplicate the entire document to a new document tab in Affinity Photo, other than manually copy/pasting the layers. 

If all you want is to have a go back to a previous state if something goes wrong, you can either use the History tab to go back the steps you need or create a Snapshot  (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Snapshots) to create a snapshot at any moment that you can revert back to later if needed. By default Affinity creates one automatically for you as soon as you open an image.

Thanks for the rapid response, Alfred.

I can see 'Copy' and 'Copy flat' in the Edit menu but no 'Duplicate' option.

Oops! My mistake. It's on the Edit menu in Designer but it's on the Layer menu in Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

Thank you MEB

Your reply prompted me to explore the Snapshot function, which I've not used before, and I find that I can in fact create a new document from the initial Snapshot, using the 'New document from snapshot button', so that solves my problem.

In PS I used File>duplicate often and your method seems like it would be more elegant than copying all the layers, but I am unable to find the "New document from snapshot button". Can you tell me where that is?

Thanks 

Thank you MEB

Your reply prompted me to explore the Snapshot function, which I've not used before, and I find that I can in fact create a new document from the initial Snapshot, using the 'New document from snapshot button', so that solves my problem.

Having a little trouble posting tonight; keep ending up with duplicate posts and can't find a way to delete them. Sorry.

• 8 months later...

New from Clipboard is not helpful. It loses the layers and it crops to the size of the layer.

We really need a real "Duplicate Document" command. You know, the one that's part of the MacOS User Interface Guidelines

https://developer.apple.com/macos/human-interface-guidelines/menus/menu-bar-menus/

New from Snapshot is a fairly convoluted workaround for what's been a basic feature of most apps for decades. Here's hoping you'll add a File->Duplicate option

Then I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Here's 3 layers selected and me picking copy

KTAfPu6.png

Here's me picking "New from Clipboard"

O83z4oH.png

And here's the result

2LgNGT2.png

You can see the result is not the same as the original. It has been clipped

46 minutes ago, greggman said:

What is the size of the bottom (empty?) pixel layer? If it is 22 x 26 pixels, then nothing has been clipped -- it is just that the pasted copy only needs to be that size to contain all the copied layers so no 'extra' pixels are added during the paste.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

54 minutes ago, greggman said:

To get a result without clipping, just add a fill layer, rasterise it and move it to bottom of the Layers panel

(Or add a new pixel layer and Fill it with some colour)

Both these layers can be permanently switched off in the Layers panel, so as not to interfere with the look of your design.

Now when you select all layers in the layers panel, do a copy, then File > New from Clipboard the new document should be the same

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

A workaround alternative to what @carl123 suggested is to use "Save as..." to duplicate the entire document. Unlike a real "Duplicate Document" option, this writes the duplicate file to disk instead of just duplicating it in memory, but sometimes that is OK -- as long as the original has been saved first so you won't lose any edits made to it since the last save.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

hI, I think what kinoulton was looking for is my quest as well. in pscc, i would work up the image, then duplicate it,

and use the duplicate for flattening and conversion to other file types. i'd save the original with layers as a ps doc-

ument to be re-edited later, if needed. it was an easy task, and i liked the copy next to the original on screen, ready 

to be renamed, edited, etc.. maybe it will be possible in the next update.

Yes, I like the fact that the PS "duplicate" function also keeps the file name. In AP, I use the "new document from snapshot" function but the resulting image is unnamed. (I tend to have filenames that are thisssssssssssssssssssssss-ssssssssssss_sss-sssss long, and it would be such a relief to have that duplicate image keep the same name as the original so I didn't have to re-type it.)

I think the bottom line is that there are ways to get the duplicate but none of them are as graceful as just clicking "duplicate." 

6 hours ago, mrh2 said:

i would work up the image, then duplicate it,

and use the duplicate for flattening and conversion to other file types. i'd save the original with layers as a ps doc-

ument to be re-edited later, if needed.

Save As does just that, leaves old version to disk and keeps a copy open to further work. (about all apps have it.)

Save as a Copy saves a version, but keeps old version open. (ID has it for example)

Duplicate keeps both document open, new one unsaved. (PS has it.)

Duplicate would be a good feature if you do not want to save a duplicate file, but want to do some adjustment to export version which you do not want to save to original, and do not trust yourself not to be able NOT to press command-S instinctively in the wrong moment, overwriting the precious original version.

• 1 year later...

+1

Feature request: Duplicate a whole image

I agree, I'm a new user to Affinity Photo, love it!, but I really miss the Image -> Duplicte option from Photoshop. I used it all the time for 'what-if' editing to create 5 different edits of the same image. The History tab would not help here and saving the image on the disk creates unnecessary clutter.

Thanks!

PS: Love Affinity Photo because it doesn't require any non-sense Creative Cloud spyware to be installed on my Mac :)

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a Duplicate Image also.  I make 12 versions of the first image, all in different sizes, and I  use it constantly.  I don't want anything to change the original image and I need to duplicate it to resize, then adjust, save it.    And go on until I have all my 12 pattern sizes made.    My .psd is my base for a particular size, when finished editing, I save to a .png to be placed in a pdf along with all the pattern pieces I will make for that size.     I will use one size and adjust it to another and save a .psd and a .png in the new size.   It is critical that everything stays as I want it or the pattern pieces won't fit together.  

Some of these things is why I haven't given Affinity Photo a chance because there are things I get in CS6 that I just cannot seem to find or do in Photo.    I use Image, Duplicate all the time.   I then after duplication, I work on the duplicated image to resize, edit, whatever.      

3 hours ago, Miss Daisy said:

I will use one size and adjust it to another and save

Why don´t use Export Persona, and exporting one image/Slice in multiple files with diferent size?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

First of all, like Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls, etc., these are pattern pieces ..... only mine are for pets.    I have 12 sizes.     I use the Medium as my Master.  I draw my pattern with  the pen tool, change colors, thickness, etc.   Add an image for the piece, Numbers Notches, circles, seam allowance lines, lengthen/Shorten lines, I can make the first one, and then I need to alter the next one to my sizing measurements ... some is percentage and then, I must adjust everything on the second, but at least I don't have to draw it each time in Photoshop.    I can make my layers for the Outline, Pattern Info, Grain lines, Copyright, Cutting info,  etc.,  Then I duplicate the first one (which I cannot duplicate an .psd file in Affinity),  I need all the layers preserved, then I go up or down another size and adjust for the sizes, and save each one.   Often, I take the Front and back pieces and put them together to be sure they all match up, but I duplicate that  and make my canvass larger to accommodate the sizing and make sure everything fits properly.  I can do this entire process in Adobe.   Totally.    That duplicate image is crucial to my pattern making.   I don't want to destroy the time consuming first image, nor its layers.   And often I have a customer need a custome size  because their pet is longer, fatter, etc.   I need to adjust the original piece to work for them.   I duplicate the original image for that particular size and make all the adjustments from there.  I don't need to start all over from scratch.   

I also use Photoshop Cs6 to make the pattern jackets and images for the sewing guide to show them how to do put it together.  It is very involved.  Having a duplicate image feature saves me hours of work.    It could be done in Designer, but there again, there is no way to duplicate any file or image.  I purchased these programs when they came out, but could not use them for my purposes and was hoping these features like inches (which I can now do) and the duplicate image would make me Adobe Free.   

Why I cannot do a duplicate image is absolutely baffling.   A program this sophisticated that doesn't have something like this is surprising.    You never work on your original file... you always make a copy to preserve the integrity of what you make.   

From inside Adobe, I can open my file, "image" Duplicate (giving it the new name)... and either keep it in the program for later use, or close it.  Then I resize change lots of settings, etc., etc.,    and my new size is born.   Many patterns have 21-25 pattern pieces, and it is lots of work.    But I can do it completely in Adobe.   

I use photos, but I also  use the pen tool to make my pattern pieces.   I might draft one by hand and scan it in and use it to make my first one.     But by duplicating that image or any other for that matter is critical for me.  

One of the first things I learned from Adobe was NOT to work on my original image, to first make a copy and then do my stuff.  If I muck it up, I did not destroy my original.    

How on earth can this be done in Affinity???  

6 minutes ago, Miss Daisy said:

From inside Adobe, I can open my file, "image" Duplicate (giving it the new name).......

From inside Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher you can open your file "image" do a File > Save As... (giving it a new name)...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.